How important is a paint cleaner/polish?

Old 07-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How important is a paint cleaner/polish?

So, I got all the other bases covered. Wash mitts, microfiber, car wash solution, wax, clay bar. But I don't have any polish. I don't recall seeing anything specifically branded as polish when I went to the Autoadvancezones. I'm sitting around for an hour or two waiting for it to cool down a bit before I launch my attack, and I was wondering, just what losses will I see if I don't use a polish?

Oh yeah, and in regard to claying, should I clay the whole truck? Just how far will one bar of clay go?

Last edited by Quintin; 07-11-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's pretty simple............ paint that is clean of all oxidation and contaminates, and is polished free of all spider web marks will be cleaner, brighter, glossier, and more reflective. In addition, the protective layer will bond to paint better............... which means better protection.

Most autoparts stores carry the Meguiar's professionl line of polishes/cleaners like #9 Swirl Remover, DACP - Dual Action Cleaner Polish, Meguiar's Medallion Paint cleaner. You can get Meguiar's consumer line at most "Mart" stores and automotive stores................ products like Deep Crystal Paint cleaner and Deep Crystal Polish. Meguiar's has a nice new product called ColorX, that is a combination cleaner/polish/wax all in one bottle.

There are tons of other good products that can be found quite easily.

Old 07-11-2004, 06:30 PM

Awesome...unfortunately, I got impatient. So, three or four hours later, I've washed, I didn't clay because I had no shade to work under, so I had to work fast, and I NXT'd. When I get cleaned up this evening, I'll post some pics so y'all can crucify me.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 PM

Okay, here we go

Let's see if this'll work.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:46 PM

Another one

When I get back into town, I'll find someplace with a little less foilage to take some clearer pics.

Old 07-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW!!

It looks like Ford REALLY took care of you on the complimentary, no-cost orange peel!

Other than that, it looks pretty darn good!

Old 07-14-2004, 04:25 PM
I notice Nissan's paint is very orange peely also.. I was checkin out this nissan Titan the other day that was parked next to me, and it looked pretty awesome besides that. What causes the orange peel effect? Crappy painting techniques?

Also was wondering about ColorX.. would you use that before your start your nitty gritty polishing? Is it mainly a paint cleaner?

Last edited by gmorf33; 07-14-2004 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by gmorf33
What causes the orange peel effect? Crappy painting techniques?

Also was wondering about ColorX.. would you use that before your start your nitty gritty polishing? Is it mainly a paint cleaner?
Yep. Techniques.

Color-X is a one step product so, in short, it offers a degree of cleaning/polishing ability as well as a good degree of long-lasting protection.

Just as a tip, follow up with a quality wax like #26 or synthetic like NXT after use to ensure uniform protection.

RP

Old 07-14-2004, 07:56 PM

Looks good?

Nah, I think it's only about maybe a 6 out of 10. That was sort of a rush job, since I didn't have any shade to work under. There isn't much shade in our yard period. This weekend, I'm gonna do it over first thing in the morning while it's still cool. It looks alright from a distance, but up close is kinda so-so.

Old 07-17-2004, 01:38 PM
RP,

Is the orange peel the kind of haziness look that you see on his tailgate?

Jag

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How important is a paint cleaner/polish?