Wax Residue Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wax Residue Removal

Hey Rock and All,

I've waxed my truck several times, and I've gotten some wax on my textured trim around the rear window and the bed / tailgate protectors. I was wondering what I could use to get it off? I guess I need to tape it off before I wax. I usually bump it in a couple places trying to get right up to it. I've tried using Back to Black (Mothers), but it only "covers" it up. It's 'back to ugly' in a week. I've tried all kinds of towels... microfiber, terry cloth, etc..., but none of them can get in the grooves in the "textured" part, and there's only so long I can stand there with my fingernail...., ya know. Let me know your ideas. Heck, I'm open to all of them.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 07-10-2004, 10:54 PM
I've heard talk about something called a "Magic Eraser" that WILL erase wax residue. But I'm not sure where it can be bought. I'm sure someone will come along to help clarify that.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:56 PM
Rockpick suggested in an earlier thread that Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser will remove the wax residue from the plastic and rubber trim. I can attest to this fact, it does work. Be sure to keep it wet with water, and rinse off immediately after "scrubbing" the wax residue off. Be sure not to rub it against your paint, as it is abrasive.

Can be bought at grocery stores, Wal-Mart, etc, in the household cleaning sections.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:57 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-06-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Thanks Y'all.....come to think of it, I think I've seen that in some posts. Do you know where it can be bought? Parts store, Wally World, ect...?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Titans Fan 527; 07-10-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Thank Mike!! I knew "y'all" would know. I'll give it a shot. It's not abrasive enough that it leaves visible scratches in the plastic is it? I'll just be nice and easy with it trying it out.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:06 PM

Last edited by MikeF150; 01-06-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Yep, after I received the Meguiars' mailer a couple weeks ago, I've wanted to try all that NXT stuff. However, it looks like everyone in town does too. The only thing I can find on the shelf so far is the booster wax. When you use the NXT on the plastic / vinyl trim, can the overspray on the paint be wiped off, or do you need to use a quick detailer?

As far as the wax goes, I used to use (and still have 2/3 of a bottle) the Eagle One Wet wax. I really liked it, and it lasted a while for me. But, I'm having trouble finding it in stores now. I tried the Meguiars Gold Class paste 2 waxes ago (about 6 weeks ago). It looked great, and I got more compliments on it than the Eagle One, but it didn't last but a couple weeks (on top of a clay job too), and it was more "work" than using these new liquid waxes. I went back over it with the Eagle One 4 weekends ago after a good wash job, it still feels slick and soft, and it still looks great, except for the trim of course. What is the longevity of the NXT? Or, is it too early to tell?

How often do you guys wax your rides? So far, I've just been going off of "feel" of the paint when it's clean (I don't need any unnecessary scratches by running my finger across my paint when it's dirty, right!). Generally, it seems like it's about 10-14 weeks. I also use the Meguiars quick detailer. When that doesn't wipe off very good, it's time to wax too.

Where do you guys get the Zaino? Yes, Rock, I would like to "try" it for myself... I haven't found it at even Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts around here, much less Wally World or Target. Heck, I may be catching that stuff after it 'flies' off the shelf too, I dunno.

Man, I wish I had joined this site sooner!!

Old 07-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those Magic Erasers are awesome. Can use them to clean all kinds of stuff, not just the trim on your truck...

I gave one to my friend's girlfriend and she went nuts... cleaned the whole bathroom... women confuse me...

Quick Reply: Wax Residue Removal