towel care

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
towel care

Guys,

I've done a bunch of research on this stuff and I used to work for an autobody supply dealer on the counter and mixing. I always use Meguiars but I've had a company vehicle for the past 7 yrs, so I haven't done my own detailing for a while. Now I have a beautiful F150 and I've picked my self up clay, cleaner, #9, #26, and NXT. I also bought a bunch of 100% cotton terry cloth towels. Now to get to the point, for some reason in the back of my mind I remember something about not cleaning the towels in a washing machine because of fumes and the danger of explosion. Is this true or is it just not to dry in the dryer?! That makes more sense. Anyways how do you guys maintain your towels and applicators?

Old 06-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Generally speaking, I'll wash my applicators (foam pad/terry pad) and all of my towels in the washer. Most of the towels then get sent directly to the dryer and the foam pads are allowed to air dry. No explosions to speak of as of yet.

RP

Old 06-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Same here. I was with extra detergent/bleach on a nice hot cycle. Then into the dryer they go!

Just a thought, but does a dryer's drum actually have any exposure to the flame? I thought they operated like a furnace... you should be able to dry gas-soaked rags w/o an explosion. This maybe a good one for the 'Mythbusters' show!

Old 06-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys. I must have been thinking of something else. RockPick, while you're here I'd like to know the best way to apply #9 by hand? No tools yet.....spend too much on engine building tools. Do you really have to work it in well and should I go back and forth or circles? I have a good surface to start with and have only some minor cob-webbing to deal with. Lastly will multiple applications of #9 help (how long between apps?) or is it a one shot and that's the best you'll get.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by drteater
RockPick, while you're here I'd like to know the best way to apply #9 by hand? No tools yet.....spend too much on engine building tools. Do you really have to work it in well and should I go back and forth or circles? I have a good surface to start with and have only some minor cob-webbing to deal with. Lastly will multiple applications of #9 help (how long between apps?) or is it a one shot and that's the best you'll get.
In order for #9 to work as it's intended, you do need to work the product until it's nearly dry. This, as you can imagine, may be somewhat tedious by hand on a large truck such as ours but, the results are typically worth it. From an application standpoint, I utilize both circles and back and forth. I'm not sure if that's the 'right' or 'official' reply to that question but, I've found that it seems to work better than one or the other. Personal opinion I suppose.

If you only have very minor cob-webbing, I'd guess that one proper application of #9 might get the best majority of your problem however; if additional application is necessary (and you should achieve more results with more application), you can get to it immediately following the first application. The reason being is that the #9 is leaving no 'protecting layer' behind and thus, a cure time isn't necessary. Simply put, #9 is an abrasive polish that will remove minor spider-webbing/swirls but offer no protection and thus, you'll need to follow #9 with something like NXT or Meguiar's #26 so that you have a protecting layer.

RP

Old 06-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Sweet. Thanks alot. RockPick you must have been the single most informative source here. Boss was a close second. This weekend after the 3 days of forecasted rain I'll wash, clay, wash, 9, NXT, and 26. It's gonna be a good Saturday. I also picked up an older thread where you discussed the proper use of a DA which I'll be purchasing real soon. Thanks again. I can clean with confidence.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Sweet. Thanks alot. RockPick you must have been the single most informative source here. Boss was a close second. This weekend after the 3 days of forecasted rain I'll wash, clay, wash, 9, NXT, and 26. It's gonna be a good Saturday. I also picked up an older thread where you discussed the proper use of a DA which I'll be purchasing real soon. Thanks again. I can clean with confidence.
That is exactly what I did and the SO said it looked "better then off the lot"

That stuff works great in my humbal opinion

Jim

Old 06-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Moderator &

You're welcome and no problem. I certainly don't consider myself to be all-knowledgeable here as I've learned a great deal of what I pass along within these same walls from guys like Boss, Intel, and APT (just to name a couple/three). I enjoy passing information along and sharing it with everyone so that they can get a big 'pop' out of their paint and really be happy with it.

Anytime you have a question, don't hesitate to post it here because we're blessed with some incredibly knowledgeable guys!

RP

Old 06-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Jimmer, your truck looks sweet! I like your little mobile shelf thingy too, I need to get one of those.

Old 06-02-2004, 06:46 PM
walmart for the shelf, like $15 bucks... a drawer for the chemicals, one for the towels, and one for the PC and disks...

Thank RockPick for the shine he recommended the process
2 coats NXT
top coat of #26

jim

Old 06-02-2004, 07:17 PM
May I highly suggest to you gentlemen that since you entered the realm of analhood to rid yourself of the sandpaper 100% cotton towels and use ONLY towels recommend for the most special of vehicles, those that we are **** about…

I use to use the 100% cotton sandpaper towels myself until finally RockPick and I believe Boss convinced me to try the below Microfiber towels…

I have to say it is a HUGE difference in the material and feel of these towels. They truly do make the 100% cotton feel as though you had been using sandpaper to dry and buff the paint.

Microfiber Drying Towel Just one of these towels will dry your entire truck.

Microfiber Buffing Towel I bought 3 of these, they are just AWESOME.

Microfiber Misc. duty Towel I bought 2 of these for when using my final detail spray or lightly dusting my truck.

Old 06-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Look on the cart and you see a 20x36 MF waffle drying towel and 2 soft and plush MF towels...

Jim

Old 06-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Jimmer
Look on the cart and you see a 20x36 MF waffle drying towel and 2 soft and plush MF towels...

Jim
Yes you do...

It was for the others who are using that sandpaper...

Oh, and that is one SWEET looking truck...

Old 06-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Have to agree with 01 on this, not only are the MF's better for your paint, I was amazed how much easier they make the work! Haven't washed them yet, do you just wash them like everything else?

Old 06-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Microfiber is great but I use a mix of cotton and microfiber still.

Microfiber is just too expensive for me to use and maintain.

Think right now I've got around 50+ cotton towels and maybe 30 microfiber towels.

I wash towels in different loads. 1 for microfiber, 1 for paint cotton towels, and one for the interior towels (usually the dirtiest).

I also have some small cotton towels for grunge work (tires, engine bays, etc.). I do them also in a seperate load but don't do it that often. I have a lot of them and only use 1 or 2 for a detail.

I've always used Dreft or another liquid detergent. Don't like the powdered ones.

Quick Reply: towel care