how soon to wax

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how soon to wax

this may belong in the care forum, but i thought i would try it here. does the '04 f-150 or vehicles in general for that matter, come from the factory with a sufficient coat of wax? How soon should I apply my own coat? thanks.
Jake

Old 05-18-2004, 06:06 PM
tsc
There is lots of talk of this in General Care. As to factory wax-nope/none. Some people say do it right away, while others say wait 60-90 days. I waited 90 days after the build date and gave it a clay bar, cleaner, polish and wax.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:53 PM
A) You never know what happened before you got it.
B) Todays paints can be waxed as soon as you get them.

edit: He drives an F-150. I was referring to F-150 paint.

Last edited by max mitchell; 05-19-2004 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not all of today's paints can be waxed upon receipt but, fortunately, Ford's factory paint jobs are catalized (they cook them in an oven) and ultimately, they can be waxed/clayed etc upon receipt to the stealership. In fact, the most common practice that you'll see at the dealer's prep area is to roll a vehicle off the truck and strip the plastic wrap (if any) off, then hit it with a wool pad and whatever the cheapest polish is available at the time. In turn, this typically produces a VERY poor polish job and creates your first round of swirl marks that you'll have to deal with if you want perfect paint.

And, you are right...

MOVED TO GENERAL CARE...

RP

Old 05-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
Not all of today's paints can be waxed upon receipt but, fortunately, Ford's factory paint jobs are catalized (they cook them in an oven) and ultimately, they can be waxed/clayed etc upon receipt to the stealership. In fact, the most common practice that you'll see at the dealer's prep area is to roll a vehicle off the truck and strip the plastic wrap (if any) off, then hit it with a wool pad and whatever the cheapest polish is available at the time. In turn, this typically produces a VERY poor polish job and creates your first round of swirl marks that you'll have to deal with if you want perfect paint.

And, you are right...

MOVED TO GENERAL CARE...

RP
Rock, you might want to differentiate between a polish and a wax. Typically a polish is fine to use on a freshly painted vehicle, but it has no lasting power. It's the wax you sometimes need to wait on, as it will seal the paint.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by MaxTorque02
Rock, you might want to differentiate between a polish and a wax. Typically a polish is fine to use on a freshly painted vehicle, but it has no lasting power. It's the wax you sometimes need to wait on, as it will seal the paint.
If I have read correctly, I think RP means that the truck can be clayed upon rewceipt to correct the dealer created swirl marks.

And then quality wax to seal up after the clay bar.

Old 05-24-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by J-150
If I have read correctly, I think RP means that the truck can be clayed upon rewceipt to correct the dealer created swirl marks.

And then quality wax to seal up after the clay bar.
Actually...........Clay will do nothing to address swirl marks. As a matter of fact, claying may actually add some very fine scratches to the finish that you'll need to addess with other steps/products. Clay is used solely to remove those adhered surface contaminants (overspray, environmental fallout, etc), so as to provide an absolutlely smooth surface onto which you'll apply your polishes and waxes.

The short answer to the original question is, Yes, you can bring your new Ford home from the stealership and wash, clay (if necessary), polish (if nessecary), and wax it to your heart's delight. And what's more enjoyable than making that new truck sparkle in the sun!

-Mike-

Old 05-24-2004, 07:08 PM
If I were you, I'd wax it no matter what they've put on it. If you know anyone in the car repair or detailing industry, try to get a wax called "Cherry Wax" ... man, that stuff works great!! I've got an 01 Supercab and its brighter than any new car on my block.
You should wax your car once every 4 months. Especially for me. I live @ the beach so the salt water in the air eats our cars up. If you want a SUPER bright shine, wash it, then use a polish, then wax it after that. You can comb your hair off your hood. hahah...
good luck!

Old 05-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Moderator &

Let me clarify...

First, it is my assumption that we're talking about a truck fresh off the lot from the stealership. In that instance and providing that the stealership has done nothing in the way of 'touch-up' work (which 65%+ of vehicles off of the lot have had some type of work done to them post-factory--be it a touch up or even repainting a panel or three).

It is important to know this type of thing before you go rip-roaring into a sealant (ie: wax).

If nothing has been done and the paint is 100% factory, you have the green light to go ahead and wax/polish/clay/tap dance/wash/pee upon your paint. No problems. The reason being is that FORD FACTORY PAINT is 'baked' on and thus, the volitiles that are in the mix are effectively flashed off. This doesn't mean it's 110% complete but, after the time it takes to get off of the factory lot and then on to a truck/train/ship and then on to a stealership's lot... well, you see where I'm going here, it's A-O-K.

Again, I'm speaking only for the F-150's paint system as I know it's baked and thus, has an accelerated cure time.

A panel that has been repainted or a 'body shop fresh' paint job is a whole different story typically...

RP

Old 05-25-2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
pee upon your paint.

I hear an acid bath is good for oxidization....

Sarcasm aside, this is good to know. My new truck will be here in a few weeks and would like to start off on the right foot (I wish I knew what I know now back in 98)

Old 05-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by J-150
I hear an acid bath is good for oxidization....
LOL! That's right man! I limit this type of treatment to once or twice per week though. You know what they say; too much of a good thing is bad!

LOL!

RP

Quick Reply: how soon to wax