Windshield water spots removal review:

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield water spots removal review:

A few weeks ago I posted a question to all you ****** because let’s face it any one down here in General Care (asking questions, answering questions or just reading the threads) is a real ***** about their truck including myself. So now that I have your attention lets begin:

I posted a question about removing a chit load of water spots on my windshield. I had no water spots on the side or back window just the front. Perhaps that is odd, but hey I live in New Hampshire and it is an odd state. I had never had water spots on my finely detailed ***** truck because I clean the damn thing like every weekend. Then one day I get in my truck after work and SHAZAM there is water spots all over the front window and as I drive home they just look like they are procreating more water spots. Upon arrival at home I get my Windex to clean the window and DOOH, they are not coming off.

So I get on-line and ask all you uhhh, well you got the idea now, about how can I rid myself of the water spot invasion on my windshield. I got great responses from many of you. The main ones I remember is Vinegar, so my truck can smell like an old fart rest home, straight Razor blade so as to keep the cost of health insurance high when I go in for stitches, the mighty clay bar (and it is a mighty tool in the arsenal of detailing supplies), and Bar Keeper’s Friend suggested by a member ***** here by the name of Jaguar. The Bar Keeper’s Friend is a glass ceramic cleaner designed for cleaning, you guessed it, glass ceramic like on today’s new stoves. If you had guessed it was a bouncer for taking out the load mouth ******** at the bar because they can’t handle their alcohol then subtract 10 points.

Now, me being a big fan of Zaino I found that they sold Z12 which is a glass polish which can be used to remove water spots (acid rain) and minor scratches. Since I needed a re-supply of other Zaino products I went ahead and ordered a bottle of it (it is approx. 15oz) I am not sure because the bottle does not state how much is in there.

So now I am armed with all these possibilities and here are my results:

Vinegar: First this chit stinks and makes you feel like you need to look over your shoulder for a HUGE bunny carrying a basket of treats. I tried it like recommended. I put some, a good amount, on a cotton towel and rubbed it in real good, damn near popped my elbow out of its socket. It did remove “some” not many but a few water spots. If you like to smell like some old fart that escaped the rest home and/or Easter really excites you then by all means go ahead and use it. Check with your health insurance first and see if you’re covered for elbow replacement.

Razor blade Nice straight edge razor blade in a holder. Works great for removing dried bug guts, and stickers. Not so good for water spots. It removed about the same amount of water spots as grandpa’s Vinegar. It is debatable if it is better to take 20 showers to get the rest home smell out or just to go once and get sewed up. The choice is yours and every medical plan I know of will cover you for stitches.

Clay bar Words great at removing particles from the paint. However it sucks to high hell to remove water spots. I laid into the lubrication for the clay bar because I could go about 5 strokes (RockPick, keep you’re comments to yourself LOL) and it would dry and then I had clay marks in the windshield. The clay marks were a pain in the butt to remove so I aborted the mission of trying to use the clay bar. I did not see it remove anything.

Bar Keepers Friend Recommended by Jaguar Didn’t use it because I didn’t have any. However I did have Cook Top glass ceramic cleaner which is the same thing. You apply it with a soft cotton cloth, let haze and then buff off (more like just wipe off, so damn easy a blond could do it right). This stuff worked AWESOME, where I applied it all the water spots gone and a nice clean and shinny windshield. I bought my Cook Top glass ceramic cleaner at Sears. It cost something like $14.00 for a 20oz bottle. (70 cents an ounce)

Zaino Z12 Glass polish marketed for removing acid water spots on glass and minor scratches. I paid $12.95 for a 15oz bottle (86 cents an ounce). It too worked AWESOME and removed every water spot where I applied it. However I did have 2 minor scratches and it didn’t touch them so it is not a minor scratch remover.

Both the Zaino and Cook Top did excellent. Both are applied the same, soft cotton cloth to apply, let haze and buff (wipe) off. Easy as speeding down the turnpike with AC/DC cranked way up looking for a ticket.

I would like to thank all who recommended different products and/or methods. Jaguar had the winning recommendation so I would like to give him credit for it.

Conclusion and recommendation:

Either product, Zaino Z12 or any brand Glass Ceramic Cleaners will do the job and remove the water spots with ease. They both clean excellent. If you ever notice after time how you can see the outline of where the wipers have contact with the windshield this will clean the grime and make it look like a new windshield, no outline of the wipers.

Though I love Zaino if I had to choose only one product to recommend it would be the Cook Top, Bar Keepers Friend or any other brand of glass ceramic cleaner. Mainly because you can get it at any appliance store and not pay the shipping cost like you do with Zaino products, and it seems it is cheaper per ounce then Zaino.

It took me approx. 20 – 25.7 minutes to do my windshield completely and that is using Windex to clean it after buffing the polish off. I don’t smell like an old escaped fart from a rest home, and I still have complete use of my hands and arms, (RockPick, keep you’re comments to yourself LOL)

Don’t trust me then find a nice little blond and have her do your windshield with the above recommended products and you will want to be wearing Depends when you take a look after she is done…

EDIT: minor corrections and disclaimer

This article may not be used in whole, part, subdivisions, quarters, eighths, the length, width, horizontal, bits, bites, without the sole approval of the author, known as 01 XLT Sport, 01, XLT, Sport, keyhole, Mr. Smart@ss, or any other name you wish to call him. If you decide to go the Vinegar route and end up smelling like some old fart and get arrested for escaping a rest home I TOLD YOU SO, if you go the Razor route and loose partial, complete, partial complete, completely partial use of a hand, both hands, arms, legs or any other body part that can be easily damaged and/or removed by a Razor blade I TOLD YOU SO. If you are injured in any way, shape or forum and some one comes knocking at my door, tough luck I will deny everything, never heard of this place, never visited and some dude named RockPick is going around giving recommendations about water spot removal.

Last edited by 01 XLT Sport; 07-12-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:45 PM
nice write up
So do people still look at you funny since you smell like vineger?

Old 07-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by grinomyte
nice write up
So do people still look at you funny since you smell like vineger?
Thanks

No, finally got the smell out, however when I was done there was a big chocolate bunny on my kitchen table…

Old 07-12-2003, 04:34 PM
I wonder if anybody ever tried dishwasher soap, the kind that leaves the glassware crystal clear? Thoughts were of a spray bottle with some of that stuff diluted in it.

The next big thing will be scented spot remover you just put in with window washer fluid. Vinegar available on special order.

Nice write up by the way.

Old 07-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Hmmmmmm............ I think I was the ***** that told you that the Z12 works really well! Guess I'll have to try some of that Cook Top stuff! I hate coming in second!

Old 07-12-2003, 07:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LMFAO... I'm going to kick your white ***...

Glad you got those spots resolved. I'm going to go to Captain D's and get some malt vinegar....

For my fish planks you silly keyhole...

LOL!

RP

Old 07-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Hmmmmmm............ I think I was the ***** that told you that the Z12 works really well! Guess I'll have to try some of that Cook Top stuff! I hate coming in second!
Yes, that is right. I have it now in my arsenal and that is what I used for most of the window. Basically because since I bought it I might as well use it...

It does work excellent and would recommend it to anyone that is already using Zaino when they have to reorder more supplies. But for the extreamly few people, like RockPick who don't use Zaino I would recommend the glass ceramic cleaner since it works just as good and would be much cheaper then $20.90 for a 15oz bottle ($12.95 + $7.95 s&h).

Old 07-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
LMFAO... I'm going to kick your white ***...

Glad you got those spots resolved. I'm going to go to Captain D's and get some malt vinegar....

For my fish planks you silly keyhole...

LOL!

RP
Why would you want to kick my white ***? I mentioned you serval times in my article...

Old 07-12-2003, 09:25 PM

Ignore RP................. he's figured out a way to siphon off the "malt" from the "vinegar".............. and drinks the malt!

Old 07-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429

Ignore RP................. he's figured out a way to siphon off the "malt" from the "vinegar".............. and drinks the malt!
Them hillbilly's sure are a funny bunch...

Old 07-13-2003, 12:11 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
Them hillbilly's sure are a funny bunch...
We'z shoree nuff iz!! YEE HAW!

Old 07-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
We'z shoree nuff iz!! YEE HAW!
A little too much moonshine tonight huh?

Old 07-13-2003, 12:28 AM
Moderator &

Beam and Coke actually...

Old 07-13-2003, 12:30 AM
Oh, is the old moonshine stil in the back shed broke again?

Old 07-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Moderator &

Em' Po-Leeese dun wennt ands gutz at'.

Quick Reply: Windshield water spots removal review: