Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Q: How Do I Remove My Bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Last edited by FunSocalTiger; 08-02-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2001, 10:22 PM
Removal

You don't need to remove the bed caps. Once the tie downs are removed, simply pull up on the center of the liner at the back of the bed. This will bend up and force the sides down enough to remove them from under the bed caps. I haven't ever removed mine, so don't know how difficult it is, but that is the way we installed it....Good luck!!

Old 10-27-2001, 11:27 PM
I also have a Supercab shortbed, and while my liner was not factory installed (I bought the Harley logo Duraliner and installed it myself), I believe yours would be the same approach. As the previous response indicated, lift the center of the liner at the end closest to the tailgate (with the tailgate down, of course) and insert something like a plastic milk crate between the metal bed and the liner. This will flex the center of the liner and pull the sides down somewhat so you can separate both sides from underneath the lip on each side. Be VERY careful when uninstalling and reinstalling the liner not to catch your finger under the side rails. When installing I cut my finger on the sharp lip. When reinstalling, the liner snaps under the lip and it is possible to hurt yourself. (Use the milk crate - or some other similar device when reinstalling the liner). By the way, I think this reference to the bed scratching under the liner is exaggerated. While some scratching will probably occur, no big deal. I believe it would take many years for such scratches to develop into rusted out beds. But, then, I'm no expert. The bed mat you purchased can't hurt. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2001, 11:55 AM
When I took the liner out of my Ranger the liner had destroyed the paint on the top of each wheel well and it was rusting really bad. About a 4x6 inch section on each wheel well. The rest of the bed was in decent shape, but was down to the primer in alot of areas where the liner had sat. It was probably about 6-7 years old at that point. I tried to kill and paint the rust then I took a mouse pad and glued it to the liner for some padding It's pretty easy to remove, just lift up on it like they said.

Old 10-28-2001, 02:07 PM
Dn. Wildman-

The Ford Duraliner starts rubbing the paint off immediately. It rubs in "contact points" plus general rubbing. Very fast, you have paint rubbed all the way off in large, multiple areas. It also makes a vibrating sound. Both situations can be substantially reduced with the installation of a 'Paintsaver' pad.

Last edited by max mitchell; 10-28-2001 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:38 PM
Max - Thanks for the advise about the Paintsaver. Where is that available from?

BTW, I had originally contemplated getting a spray-in, but decided to go for the fiberglass. Do you think it's possible to combine both, i.e., go to a car parts store and buy the do-it-yourself roll-on and put the fiberglass over it when it dries? Would that help with the paint? Could it be "the best of both worlds" or wouldn't it work?
Thanks.

Old 11-07-2001, 06:02 PM
Thumbs up Dn. Wildman-

You're Welcome !! www.paintsaver.net

I've seen a guy here post that he had both types of liners, but I've never had a need for that; it can be done though. The paintsaver does work well. I'd just do one or the other liners. You can always have a spray in or roll on liner done later to hide the plastic liner rub spots. Good Luck.

Old 11-08-2001, 04:11 PM
Yeah, the paintsaver pad is the one that I had to remove my bedliner to install. I'm a little sad that it *Does not* protect your wheel wells, though. I probably should have cut some foam myself or used mouse pads and put it there, but no big deal. I'm happy with my bedliner for now and mine doesnt make any noises or has warped yet so I'm happy with it. If in a few years I see rust has formed and I have the money I'll have a spray in put in, which would retard any rust that got in there and possibly put the plastic bedliner back on top of that.

Laurence

Quick Reply: Dumb Q: How Do I Remove My Bedliner?