Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Herculiner paint in liner removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Herculiner paint in liner removal

My 91 long box has the herculiner paint in bed liner. I didn't put it in, the person who i bought the truck from decided it was a good idea to have it. I don't want anything to do with it and want to remove it without removing most of the paint. Is there a good way to do this? What would be a good bed liner for a long box 91? This paint lining has been annoying me for a while and i want to get rid of it, it doesn't protect the bed from anything. Any ideas?

Old 02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a drop-in liner and put it in, then you never have to ever look at the bed ever again.

Years ago I bought an 88 F150 brand new, put a bedliner in it the next day, used it for landscaping/ tree work for 9 years and STILL got $100 credit for the bedliner at trade-in. Never looked under it once.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:02 PM
So i would just leave the paint in liner on, and just put the drop in over it? How much would a drop in cost for a long box reg cab 91?

Old 02-17-2005, 03:40 AM
alright...it's official

the internet can suck on occasion:

dust: took me forty-five minutes but it looks like DuraKon (parent company of Duraliner) has your model and their are two dealers in your area (had to do a zip search to get your zip code and then search from there).

Toys for Trucks (715) 359-9993
and
Truck Shop USA (715) 342-9150

Your local dealers I do know offhand but as it is late cannot call my contacts to see if they have it. I'm sure you already know but just in case.

Smith brothers ford (715) 693-6730
and
Wittenburg Ford (715) 253-2122

Give those a call and hopefully they can help you.

Good Luck

Old 02-17-2005, 03:43 AM
oh one other thing

Pendaliner does not seem to have anything over seven model years old and don't let any of these fools tell you that the Euroliner will fit your truck. My Parts guys here in houston and in Palo Alto both said they were told to get people in with it. I checked their site and sure enough the only cover the Ranger. So if they even mention Euroliner...laugh and hang-up.

I hope it all works out well as I've know begun to give up hope for the old "drop-in" market. I will miss them.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Best thing to do is get the Rhino Liner. If you drop in a bed liner you may have a corrosion problem in the future.

Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by billpike
If you drop in a bed liner you may have a corrosion problem in the future.
I call "BULLCHIT".

Old 02-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Ok, i have a pretty good idea for what to get, but what about removal of the paint in bed liner, I don't want to keep it in while having a drop in over it. I think i'd go for a rhino before drop in.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you that no spray-on brand like Rhino or LINE-X is going to spray on top of the Herculiner. The Herculiner will have to be removed first.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:31 AM
It's a 14 year old truck with rust on the fenders. Just get a drop-in. The crappy, ugly herculiner will help slow down your impending rust problem but you won't have to look at it.
Or if you really want Line-X then maybe start shopping for a non-rusted bed to swap out. It doesn't make any sense to put a bunch of money into a rusted bed.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah, i am pretty sure what i want to do about the bed liner, i want to remove the herculiner. I just want to know how i could go about doing that.

Old 02-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fastest way to get it out is to have it sandblasted out. If that does not suit your budget, you can take most of it out yourself using a hammer and chisal. If you have access to an air chisal, that will help a bunch. If you get most of it out, the LINE-X dealer can clean up the rest. Or, you can pay the LINE-X dealer to get it out at about $40/hour.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:10 PM
40 an hour. That's not bad considering I've seen the locals take one out in under a half hour. Unless they have a one hour minimum than it shouldn't be more than twenty or thirty bucks.

Old 03-19-2005, 05:17 PM
If you need to have any sort of touch-up work done on your vehicle (like re-shooting the two-tone!), your local bodyshop can get one of these disasters out of your truck in somewhere around an hour. They might charge you two because of the gawd awful mess they've got to clean up afterwards. It's not something most shops like to do stand-alone, but it's a common task when you have to replace a box side.

There's a heat-knife type set of tools available that basically generate heat over a small area that peels these things off like wallpaper. Despite what the salesmen here will tell you, spray ins aren't that tough. They separate, bubble--and you won't know it until you tear off a nice section in the middle of the bed. They discolor and generally become a corrosive-laden sponge after about 5 years. One of the guys around here mixes in auto paint to color his liners as well. Beware; this is a bad idea for so many reason I won't even start laying them out.

If you really want a tough pickup bed, lay down a decent poly-based gravel guard on your bed and put in a drop in. I'm not saying that's the best method, but I've yet to see a better one.

-Fatz

Quick Reply: Herculiner paint in liner removal