Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Overhead Console Temp Display Repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks man, mines been broken for the better part of three years, cant beleive it was such a simple fix!

Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by f150fella08
mine didnt work...but i went to a scrap yard and got one for 10 bucks..not too bad
I soldered mine once and the odometer now neither one work. Junk yard wanted lots of money for it and doesn't have one. Ford said my 2001 one is no longer stocked or available.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:52 AM
Console Fix Not Working =(

Help!

I have a 2000 Ford F150 and the overhead console lights went out last week. I didn't realize how much I depended on the temp guage and direction indicator until I not longer had them.

My husband removed the board and soldered the resistor. It did not work. We ordered one off ebay and he installed it. He checked to see if it worked and it lit up so he assumed all was well, turned the truck off and told me it was fixed. I got into the truck to run errands and no overhead console lights.

He went back into the console, put his finger on the first 510 resistor, turned the key on and the the panel lit up for a second, went back out and the resistor started heating up so much that he could not keep his finger on it.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Old 05-01-2016, 10:23 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Resistors will get warm. They're consuming voltage. Can't say I know how "warm" they should be under normal conditions.

Did you try to cycle through the button with the repaired original one?

Have you tried repairing the eBay one yet?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM
When the light originally went out, I pressed the button thinking maybe I somehow hit it and turned the display off ... which would be weird because in the six years I've owned the truck, I've never accidentally turned it off. The light came on for a few seconds and went back off again. I pressed the button again, several times, and nothing.

After my husband thought he repaired it the first time, I pressed the button numerous times but nothing, so yes, I cycled through probably twice.

As my husband was inspecting the board we bought off ebay, the resistor fell off!!! So he's going to Radio Shack today to buy another one and he's also going to try re-soldering the first one as well. We shall see. Thanks. I'll let you know what happens.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:28 PM
LariatLady, Patman is right, they do get warm. I noticed that as well. When I fixed my OH display on my '03 SuperCrew I did it 2 times before I realized that 2 of my resistors did not have a good, solid contact! After I soldered the second one, it's been golden ever since. I went to Radio Shack down the street too, and they didn't have any flat resistors in stock; said they would have to order, so I'm glad I didn't need any! I'd try checking all your resistors for good connections before buying a new one, but that's just me! Thanks!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Overhead Console Fix

Lariat Lady:

The best results for your overhead console will happen when you re-solder ALL
of the resistors on the board. It won't take that long to do it. Also check to see
if any of the other components on the board appear to have "cold" solder joints.

The problem with the boards and the "loose" resistor packs is due to using a more lead free solder, and the components are "wave" soldered on the boards.

good luck,

Mack

Old 05-03-2016, 03:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can use the barrel type resistors as long as they have the same rating. That's what I did on mine. Somewhere way back in this thread I posted what I used, it aint that big of a deal. After about 3 years on mine it is out again so I think that is because I didn't touch up all of the joints.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Thanks G'dog, Mack and jgger for the helpful advice. Rather than repair the second board that lost the resistor, the seller wanted to send us a replacement. In the meantime, my husband is going to buy a pencil tip soldering iron and solder all the resistors on the original board. We may end up with a back-up!

Appreciate all the input and THANKS Patman for starting this thread. It's truly indispensable!

Old 03-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Ditto, Ditto, Ditto! 8 yrs. (?) and this thread still rocks! I found the resistor on the floor, cleaned and soldered it in ... works. Awesome.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Glad we saved some more parts from being thrown away!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:25 PM
I just finished soldering the resistor. When I hooked it all back up it worked until I pressed select. Now the console shows everything lit up. Any idea what caused this and how to go about fixing it? Thanks in advance y'all!

Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Global Moderator &

I would guess you have too much solder connecting two points in the board that shouldn't be connected

Old 08-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the help. While I was driving to dinner tonight it decided to start working. And so far it hasn't reverted back. If the problem continues I'll be sure to go back and check my solders.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Display fried

I was going to do this but once I got it apart I realized the display was fried. Wondering if someone knows where I might find another one ????

Last edited by Old Hippie; 01-20-2018 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Overhead Console Temp Display Repair