f150 bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f150 bumpers

so here's the thing... i recently bought an 2011 f150 xlt with the chrome package. Ive recently decided i do not like chrome and now im on a mission to delete all the chrome off the truck starting with the bumpers. Does anyone know anyplace to get OEM bumpers or look alike that are paint grade off the web? Or are there some of you that are doing something with the chrome bumpers that are making them paint-able? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Ryangreen93; 02-09-2015 at 01:19 PM. Reason: year specification
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 AM
Might be a long shot but you could post in the classifieds for a trade. Post up your paint color too incase someone who likes the chromies wants to swap. You could also call your local powder coater or body shop and ask if they can handle the job. I have some factory chrome nerf bars I am going to have powder coated soon for the exact same reason.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can get aftermarket OEM style bumper skins on ebay. I bought mine there. OEM bumpers were just as lousy and flimsy as the eBay ones were and fit good have held up great.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:59 AM
The other option is to vinyl wrap them. Not sure about durability though.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
You can get aftermarket OEM style bumper skins on ebay. I bought mine there. OEM bumpers were just as lousy and flimsy as the eBay ones were and fit good have held up great.
now when you say skin, are you talking about a vinyl wrap kind of deal? if it looks anything like the ones on your truck, i might e going in that direction.

Old 02-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Blue150
Might be a long shot but you could post in the classifieds for a trade. Post up your paint color too incase someone who likes the chromies wants to swap. You could also call your local powder coater or body shop and ask if they can handle the job. I have some factory chrome nerf bars I am going to have powder coated soon for the exact same reason.
let me know how that turns out. ive contacted a couple of shops and theyve all told me there is nothing they can do with chrome bumpers besides replacing them with paint grade.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryangreen93
now when you say skin, are you talking about a vinyl wrap kind of deal? if it looks anything like the ones on your truck, i might e going in that direction.
No, by skin I meant the steel portion. Everything bolts onto it making it the complete bumper. The bumper 'skin' as its often referred to is available in primed finish or chrome.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
No, by skin I meant the steel portion. Everything bolts onto it making it the complete bumper. The bumper 'skin' as its often referred to is available in primed finish or chrome.
thanks alot! this is def. the way to go and im thinking if im lucky i can sell the chrome one to pay for atleast half of the new one

Old 02-18-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You can paint a chrome bumper. It takes a random orbital sander, Etching primer, primer and paint. Any decent shop can handle it. Look at mine, they started out chrome and look great.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Wrap or Plastic dip them. I dipped mine to see if I liked them better red or chrome. I liked them better PTM. So I too them off and in a weekend painted them myself. Liquid Drano will remove the chrome and allow you to lay down a few good coats of primer and then the base.

Quick Reply: f150 bumpers