Let the buyer beware -- F-150 Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the buyer beware -- F-150 Emblems

A few months ago I purchased a 2007 F-150 Screw. It was cosmetically excellent, except for the F-150 emblems. The black painted lettering was badly chipped and faded. So, like so many others, I went to EBay...

...Where I found a supplier of OEM Ford F-150 Emblems. Brand new, still in the original Ford packaging. Cool! I bought three of them.

That was last winter, just several months ago. All three are now chipped and faded, looking precisely like the old ones. The chrome is still gorgeous, but after just 15 weeks, my $75 investment is worthless.

So, live and learn. The original emblems were crap, so for me to believe that exact Ford replacements would solve the problem was just plain dumb. Obviously Ford had a severe quality control issue with these emblems. (In contrast, the emblems on my '93 F-350 are pristine and still perfect.

So...anyone got a solution? Anyone tried painting them yourself? Anyone found a superior after-market alternative?

Last edited by Jjhoneck; 04-28-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 PM
This happens to all late model Ford trucks it seems. We have an 07 Expedition and it has de-laminated to point where there is barely any blue left. I have an 08 and it is chipped but not faded. Our other 08 has a bit of fading happening. I wouldn't replace because I figure I would have the same experience as you. You would think that Ford would have some interest in making their logo look good on the trucks...

I think there is another thread about this too. A lot of guys are running overlays of some sort, that would help. I have wondered if the 3m front end clear vinyl protection would be a good idea for the emblems, but I have not seen anyone try this as of yet.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 AM
I had mine replaced on my 05 F150 under warranty. The new ones are holding up great. I guess they have been on the truck for about 4 years now. I would suggest that you check your dealer out and see what kind of pricing they have for them.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 AM
How are you washing your truck?

Many, many, many people still have good looking emblems, but some have experienced issues like yours. One solution are vinyal inlays, Patriot Decals used to make them. Or you could paint them.

- NCSU

Old 04-24-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You on the beach much? Wonder if the salt may be a contributor.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm sure that for me the winter weather makes a difference, you end up with chips from the salt and sand they use on the roads, but I don't know what would cause the same problem for the OP in Texas. I wouldn't expect the same road rash damage...

Old 04-24-2011, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
I'm sure that for me the winter weather makes a difference, you end up with chips from the salt and sand they use on the roads, but I don't know what would cause the same problem for the OP in Texas. I wouldn't expect the same road rash damage...
Port Aransas is right on the Gulf of Mexico. Plenty of salt, which is why I mentioned it.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know it isn't directly related but---Are the +09' models doing the same thing?? i took all the black ''ink" inside my emblems because they started chipping and i finished taking it off...so i have all chrome emblems, looks better then chipping letters, but if '09 emblems don't have the same issue then we may all have a fix, and a mod

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Just got back from a 14 hour road trip in my dad's F-150, and the emblem has water trapped underneath and is bubbling, seems almost gel like. Would not have expected this as it was fine when I left for the day. This one had a few marks, but a day of driving in the rain did it in... not impressed at all.

Related to the above, I don't have any ink missing in the other emblems, but the Expedition is missing lots in its back one.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Just do the 09+ emblems. They look great on there.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
How are you washing your truck?

Many, many, many people still have good looking emblems, but some have experienced issues like yours. One solution are vinyal inlays, Patriot Decals used to make them. Or you could paint them.

- NCSU
I wash the truck often (every time we go to the beach), but it's always a rinse -- never a brush or harsh soaps.

Interestingly, one of the new emblems is showing no sign of erosion in the F-150 lettering/numbering. My guess is they simply used the wrong paint for painting on chrome, or used improper painting technique. It really is an astoundingly stupid mistake for Ford to make.

Its funny, now that I'm aware of the problem, virtually every 150 shows signs of the same problem. There is a huge market out there for a fix.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

My old driver's side emblem was peeling on the F when I bought it used back in 2008. Half of it was already missing and showing chrome. 2009 emblems have not failed me yet though!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM
This emblem had a few chips, took it out on a rainy day and this is the end result... Not a huge fan of a marbling effect myself

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ouch! talk about horrible advertising, well, if my emblems do that i'll have a perfect excuse to shave the emblems off the tailgate

so sorry to see that cuz its a limited

Old 05-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Try the new 09 emblems im gonna do that also , I saw a truck that had 09 Lariat mirrors and Lincoln Mark LT headlights which look more crystal cool, on an 07 Lariat here in South Texas...

Quick Reply: Let the buyer beware -- F-150 Emblems