How to Paint Black Out Badges w/ DSG Inlays (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I did not have any problems with the plastic on my emblems. Several members have complained about peeling, but I did not see it on my truck. You might try a hair dryer or a heat gun to see if you can get the plastic off easier when it is hot.

I used my wife's hair dryer to heat up my FX4 stickers when I removed them. They came off quite easily and did not leave any residue on the truck.

KR-Texas

Old 06-27-2009, 03:09 AM
This guide is money.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Truck looks great. I don't know if you know or if someone else does, how hard is it to take the oval off the tailgate? I want to paint mine and put an overlay on it but I would like to take if off to do that. Any info or advice would be great. Also, I noticed on your truck bio that you have true dual exhaust. Did you by the kit that way or have it custom done? I would like to do it on my truck but with the gas tank being on the left side i don't know how that would work. Thanks.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I did not try to remove the rear one, so I am not sure how to do it. Other members have removed them, so you might try a search and find the details. It was not hard to tape off the back of my truck and since I was already doing the F150 badges, I just did them all at the same time.

I had my local exhaust shop custom fabricate my true duals. The cost was $420 with the two 11" MagnaFlow mufflers and the 3.5" x 22" SS tips.

My tank is also on the left side and here is how they did mine with an X-Pipe:

A good shop will not have any problems routing both pipes down the right side of your truck.

KR-Texas

Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 AM
The exhaust looks good. Did you have it out the back or both out the side? I would like to have them out the back or 45 degree at the bumpers edge.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Did my badges. Im happy with them I dont have my inlays for the F 150 yet so I taped it off P I T A ! But it came out ok. [IMG][/IMG] pic is little fogy its like 112 today so taking the camera outside foged it up you can get the idea with this one Ill get better pics soon [IMG][/IMG] Thanks for the great wright up!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Yes it says Swank The S sucks but the quality of the decal is top shelf I am trying to see if they can do it in another font and on a black back ground.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by NVCrewzer4x4
The exhaust looks good. Did you have it out the back or both out the side? I would like to have them out the back or 45 degree at the bumpers edge.
I have them coming straight out the back. As part of the blackout process, I painted the SS tips with high heat low-gloss black paint from Duplicolor. The paint has a ceramic coating and it still looks as good as the day I did them after many trips across Texas.

Here is the writeup with a few more pictures up close.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...tips-pics.html

KR-Texas

Old 06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by SWANK
Yes it says Swank The S sucks but the quality of the decal is top shelf I am trying to see if they can do it in another font and on a black back ground.
I agree that it will look better with the black background. I used the Flat Black lettering on mine, but you might want to try the gloss black for yours.

KR-Texas

Old 07-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by bullet150
allright, I just got brave and did this. waiting for the badges to dry. pray that they come out right! Thanks KR - your writeup made it much easier
KR- sorry for the delay. Here are a few pix of the badges. I followed your instructions to the T and it worked out just fine. Some small air bubbles to deal with but for the most part it went ok. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!

I've got the rest of the pix here
https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...acked-out.html

Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
looks great man. i think i am going to do that for my next mod. idk if i want to just do all black or also do the DSG inlays.

Representing the DSG F150's!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by bullet150
KR- sorry for the delay. Here are a few pix of the badges. I followed your instructions to the T and it worked out just fine. Some small air bubbles to deal with but for the most part it went ok. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!
Your truck looks great!!! I had a lot of help from this sight when I was working on my truck every weekend, so I am glad my post was useful to someone else...

I used a small needle to pop the air bubbles on the inlays. After a day or two the holes disappeared and I cannot see them any more. Two months later, they still look good...

KR-Texas

Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by atvRiDa400ex
looks great man. i think i am going to do that for my next mod. idk if i want to just do all black or also do the DSG inlays.

Representing the DSG F150's!
I drove my truck around for a week before adding the inlays. Most people, including my wife who is NOT a truck person, said it looked like something was missing. You cannot read the emblems unless you are real close, so the inlays and overlays really bring out the lettering.

You can try it for yourself, but I think you will buy the inlays...

KR-Texas

Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM
how have the fender emblems held up all this time? and do you think it's necessary to scuff them up? or could i just shot the paint

Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Hey KR, I'm sure I've told you this before, but your truck looks freaking awesome ! I used to not care for the Rock Stars, but they have really grown on me, and they look great with those tires.

Like your T-bar grille too.

They don't enforce having a front plate in Texas ? Sure wish they didn't here in my town Oh but hey, have you thought about putting a frame, and a lightly smoked acrylic cover over your rear plate ? I have covers on my front and rear and I think it looks WAAAY better, than without.

Your tutorial for the badges was good too. The only thing I did / would do differently is, I'd replace that primer with Bulldog spray. IMPO Krylon primer is only a "very little bit" stickier than regular Krylon spray. But Bulldog is the stickiest $#!+ on the planet ! Heck, it will make paint stick to chrome, glass, plastic, anything !

Oh hey geoelpalillo, the chrome used on plastic, really is actual chromium plating. The way they are able to get an electrical current around the plastic, is that they "vapor" deposit a layer of copper, at the molecular level, first. If you sand on that chrome enough, you can see the layer of copper, before you break through to the plastic...... but you really want to avoid breaking through to the plastic.

And hey Geo, my badges are 1 year old, but I took this shot a few days ago. Not a chip one, on any of them, after using Bulldog adhesion promotor.

Peace,
Fish

Quick Reply: How to Paint Black Out Badges w/ DSG Inlays (Pics)