I finally have a really good picture.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally have a really good picture.....

....in my head anyway....... while all I have to post is a "really rough" photo shop job :-) Sorry.

But anyway, I stopped by the dealership this morning, and took a snap shot of a Stone Green F150.

Now, you will have to use quite a bit of imagination, as;

1) My truck is not an Screw, short bed, but rather, a Reg. cab, standard bed.

2) My wheels will be nicer, and my tires will be bigger, and badder ;-)

3) I'll have a PTM Snug Top SL.

4) My truck will be leveled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay.... that was exciting ! We just had a magnitude 3.9 earthquake, 6 miles from my house ! {I have this USGS link saved in my PC that gives instant earth quake info, for the entire US} Felt like a freight train quickly aproaching, followed by a sudden jarring, and the sound of the beams in the house creaking, and everything rattleing ! Whooo Hooo :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So anyway, back to the truck......
I did have a revelation today; As much as I like the Stone Green, blacked out {I think it just looks tougher than $#!+ ! I'm just totaly loving it ! ..... and so I'm going to take that common advice > It's my truck, and as long as I'm happy with it} .....but if a few other guys like it, that's cool too :-)
But I've decided that it's so dark overall, that the camo rocker panels just stand out WAAAY TOOOO much ! I tried it in photo shop.
I might experiment with toning them down, with a misting of black vinyl spray.... but as it stands, I think I'm leaning away from the camo rocker panels.

Oh well. I think my blacked out, Stone Green F150, will still look about 1000X's better in front of my Mossy Oak boat, with the black trailer and fenders, than my old, oxidized "white" Toyota Tacoma ever did !

Man I love that Stone Green. Chrome would be "pretty" on it...... But satin black is going to look so mean ! :-)

Your thoughts ?

Fish

PS, BTW jcomar1, if you find a minute, and if you don't mind, can you try slapping some Thugs on this truck for me ? I think your Photo Shop is better than mine :-)

Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

2 things.

1) Sounds like with fishing and outdoors your truck will be seeing a lot of offroading. I suggest NOT doing a leveling kit, as it puts your CVs at pretty exterme angles and can cause issues with the UCA as well. If you want to lift it, do it with a proper differential drop suspension kit.

2) yikes an earthquake? Out here in CA, a 3.9 isnt even reported. 5+ is usually though. 6+, now we're talkin "real earthquake" status.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM
Thank you mSaLL150....

Just a few things...

Actually, my driving is 95% freeway, 4.9% city, and .1 % offroad. I just really like the rough, tough, offroad look :-)

You said > I suggest NOT doing a leveling kit, as it puts your CVs at pretty exterme angles and can cause issues with the UCA as well. If you want to lift it, do it with a proper differential drop suspension kit. <

Hmmmm. Well I wasn't going to use spacers, but rather, Bilstein adjustable 5100's. I hadn't heard too much about problems with CV's or UCA's..... But let me put it this way, if I "absolutely had to get" a proper differential drop suspension kit, to keep from damaging my suspension, so be it. As 1) I just really like the look, and 2) I'm going to be going with wheels and tires which might not quite fit on the front, without a 1 1/2" to 2" lift.....

Man, I hate to even ask how much a "proper differential kit" costs ! What, like $800 or something crazy ?

Thank you for the heads up though,
Fish

Old 06-03-2008, 11:55 PM

Bilstiens should be fine i guess, just dont crank them up too high. Just watch the angles and you'll be alright. And i wouldnt try to stuff 35s, keep it to 33s. Should look sweet!

The cheapest of the diff. drop suspension kits is the 6" procomp which can be had for like 1100 at the cheapest.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Right on.....

Yea', I was just surfing around looking for those, and 6" was the smallest lift I saw....

But yes, maybe only 1 1/2"... I don't even mind a slight front downward rake. Just want it closer to level, and to clear my tires.

Oh BTW, I DO live in Cali :-) The only reason that 3.9 was so noticeable, was that it was darn near right under my feet. Or should I say, only 6 miles away, and 6 miles deep. The USGS site I go to, reports ALL earthquakes ... even as small as like 1.0's

The trippy thing is, when you feel a 3.9 from 6 miles away, your always wondering if it was actually a 7.0, 100 miles away..... or even a 8.5, 300 miles away !

Peace,
Fish

Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Fish Chris
The trippy thing is, when you feel a 3.9 from 6 miles away, your always wondering if it was actually a 7.0, 100 miles away..... or even a 8.5, 300 miles away !

Peace,
Fish
For sure. I felt that 5.3 we had last year from about 40 miles away and it shook pretty good.

Where in Cali? I do a lot of fishing in the Delta with a buddy of mine. He has a nice bass boat. Also do tons of fishing near our ranch in the Hat Creek area. The trophy stream (Hat Creek), The Pitt River, and Fall River are all right there and the trout fishing is unreal.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Just my $0.02 worth - I never did like the cammo stuff you were planning to put on the rocker panels. Looked sort of like a "fake" mililitary vehicle to me (something you'd buy in a chain store sporting goods store).

If you're going to "cammo" it, it needs the treatment all over. And then it looks sort of out of place on the highway, doesn't it?

But, YOU'RE having fun with this, and that's all that counts, isn't it?

- Jack

Trending Topics

Old 06-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Well....

thank you Jack. You already know how I feel.... I love Mossy Oak and Real Tree camo. To me it doesn't look military, but rather, like nature. But even as much as I like it, I guess Stone green is just too dark for camo to work with it.....

And this opens a whole other can of worms... Not the "whole reason" but a big part of the reason, I was planning to go blacked out, was that Camo totally does not work with chrome......

But now without camo, this actually opens the doors for me to go with "some chrome", maybe some brushed aluminum, or even all chrome.

So I guess you could say, > now, everything is up in the air <

Maybe its a good thing they are lagging on getting my truck here. Maybe they knew I needed more time to make up my freaking mind :-)

BTW, although I'm a self-admitted odd-ball, I am "usually" a pretty stable guy, at least. But one might not think so, with all of my bouncing lately. Oh well.

Peace,
Fish

But hey, anyway, I am sure about two things....

1) F150's are some very cool trucks....

2) Stone Green is some bad-*** looking paint ;-)

Quick Reply: I finally have a really good picture.....