06 Screw advice on Leer or ARE shell/cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Screw advice on Leer or ARE shell/cap?

I have an 06 F1F0 Screw and narrowed down my choice between the Leer 100 R or the ARE V series shell/cap for my truck.

Any thoughts on which is better functionaly, looks and performance?

My main use is for sleeping and storing items during hunting/camping for me and my lab. I do go thru the desert so scratches are not a concern but will it hold up?

Thanks and appreciate your thoughts/feedback.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by snappereater
I have an 06 F1F0 Screw and narrowed down my choice between the Leer 100 R or the ARE V series shell/cap for my truck.

Any thoughts on which is better functionaly, looks and performance?

My main use is for sleeping and storing items during hunting/camping for me and my lab. I do go thru the desert so scratches are not a concern but will it hold up?

Thanks and appreciate your thoughts/feedback.
My cap is an ARE. It's the second one I've had, the first was on a previous truck and I liked it so much, I got one for this truck.

ARE uses real automotive paint, not gellcoat, so it holds up well. Mine has two flip up side windows which are great for getting to things from the sides but if you're going to sleep in it, you'll probably want sliders (screened) for ventilation. Mine has a sliding front window that sort of matches the one in the cab. It "folds down" so that you can clean the rear of the cab window and the front of the shell window. DO NOT get any cap with a rubber "grommet" that fits up against your cab. The constant small motion of this gasket will wear through your paint!

My cap is secured on the bed with four "c-clamps". This makes it very easy to remove and reinstall (if you have two people to lift it). Don't get one that is "bolted on". It's a pain to put back on, especially if you have a bedliner.

I'd probably replace the interior light with an LED if I was going to sleep in it.

I'd recommend ARE to anybody! I think my first cap, three caps ago, was a Leer. I like ARE better.

- Jack

Old 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
ARE uses real automotive paint, not gellcoat...

DO NOT get any cap with a rubber "grommet" that fits up against your cab. The constant small motion of this gasket will wear through your paint!

I'd probably replace the interior light with an LED if I was going to sleep in it.
A) I don't think any manufacturers use gellcoat anymore... since about 1990.

B) I had the rubber on a 1988 and loved it. You just have to watch which manufacturer. Some installers custom cut the opening in the cap to prevent the rubber from riding on the paint, and it rides on the truck cab window instead, as mine did. That way, it never rubs on anything but glass.

With a window in the front of the cap, unless you like the versatility of being able to open the slider on the cap to pass things through the slider on the cab of the truck (or stick loooong stuff through to rest on the dash) I'd get a non-slider. The field of view is so much better without the center window framing. Then, if you get the tilt-down style (for cleaning), you can flip it down anyway to access the slider on the truck to pass long 2x's or stuff into the cab anyway.

C) I'm a little leary of LED's as bulb replacements for general lighting. To me, they seem too dark to illuminate a "space" as they are more of a directional lighting.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the A.R.E. is a better built cap.

Old 05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Smoke, the variety of LEDs now is just amazing and if you get ones with highpowerd SMT "side-firing" LEDs, you light up an area quite well. I replaced ALL the lighting in our travel trailer with LEDs (1156 base bulbs) to prolong battery life (each incandescent bulb in it used 16 watts) and we're very happy with the result. One source that has a lot of information on the bulbs they sell is: http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

I liked the rubber gasket idea too, till I saw what it did to my paint. I can see how if it sits on your window it would be ok. (But, wouldn't that cut your view?) I had even applied clear plastic protectors (sort of like window film) over the paint where the gasket touched and it rubbed right through those too.

- Jack

Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Smoke, the variety of LEDs now is just amazing and if you get ones with highpowerd SMT "side-firing" LEDs, you light up an area quite well. I replaced ALL the lighting in our travel trailer with LEDs (1156 base bulbs) to prolong battery life (each incandescent bulb in it used 16 watts) and we're very happy with the result. One source that has a lot of information on the bulbs they sell is: http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

I liked the rubber gasket idea too, till I saw what it did to my paint. I can see how if it sits on your window it would be ok. (But, wouldn't that cut your view?) I had even applied clear plastic protectors (sort of like window film) over the paint where the gasket touched and it rubbed right through those too.

- Jack
Good to know on the LED's. If they are that much brighter, I'm going to look into replacing them on our Jayco this summer, too. Thanks for the tip.

Asfor the paint rubbing through the Mylar film...OMG!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Good to know on the LED's. If they are that much brighter, I'm going to look into replacing them on our Jayco this summer, too. Thanks for the tip.

Asfor the paint rubbing through the Mylar film...OMG!
Since there's always a bit of motion of the bed relative to the cab, there was a constant "rubbing" action. Add to this the dust that's in the air here at times and you have a pretty good abrasive. By the time I woke up to what was happening, it was too late.

We like to "dry camp" in National forests a lot, so we do everything we can to save battery power. What I did was to just get a pair of lights to start with. I put them in and tested the effect after dark, comparing them with the incandescents. Once I was convinced they would work, I ordered enough to replace all of the lights.

- Jack

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 PM
The LED is a geat idea, less juice power light. The ARE does have the boot for the window only which would allow to pass small items thru and use it for longer ites (5.5' bed) hard to put 7' fishing poles in the bed.

Every time I look, I keep coming up with ARE but the Leer is 400 bucks cheaper, which helps to buy more modding items.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by snappereater
The LED is a geat idea, less juice power light. The ARE does have the boot for the window only which would allow to pass small items thru and use it for longer ites (5.5' bed) hard to put 7' fishing poles in the bed.

Every time I look, I keep coming up with ARE but the Leer is 400 bucks cheaper, which helps to buy more modding items.
The way I looked at it, since I'd had an ARE before on the last truck I owned (came with it - bought the truck used), the difference in cost was a drop in the bucket for a cap I really liked.

I'm not sorry at all with my choice.

- Jack

Old 06-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the help - I ordered the ARE V with drop/slider front. Should be ready for pickup/install next week. Anyone know where to find a bubble that touches glass only and not paint?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:34 PM
I just got the ARE V installed, first impressions looks nice, getting into detail not very impressed. Several spots are missing carpet and where the carpet does overlay not well seemed. One side near bed rail the plastic/rubber molding is already coming off. Other side the window does not sit very flush against shell.

Maybe im picky on the flush of window but what about the other stuff? Also how hard is it to align the shell to the cab? I have one side that I can fit my hand in and the other is finger tight?

These things are not cheap and for the money they should be better built/quality check before being shipped.

Quick Reply: 06 Screw advice on Leer or ARE shell/cap?