SuperCrew Amp Mount

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SuperCrew Amp Mount

I am installing an amp that measures 11.75 X 2.625 X 11.125 in my 01 SuperCrew and I would like to mount it under the front passenger seat (the truck is equipped with the console and captains chairs). I think 2.625” of vertical clearance is not available under the seat without modifications. It appears that there is an air handler-type vent that directs air to the back seat – it eats up some vertical clearance and the seat adjuster bar hangs rather low below the seat. I’m thinking about removing the seat, then removing the blower vent under the seat to see if the amp will then fit. I would also like to run my amp power cord through the air vent from the front center if this is possible. Has anyone tried any of this? Any alternative mounting suggestions? I’m also looking at the storage area behind the left rear seat, but would rather not eat up that nice storage space. Under the rear seat is also a possibility, but you can’t fold down the seat if the amp is under there. Need help from someone who has been there. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2001, 10:53 PM
Thumbs up Mounting Amp

I mounted mine in the storage area behind back seat on driver's side. I still have room for a few brushes and detailing products. Also able to adjust controls on amplifier with little hassle. Heat was not a problem this summer ( only running 800 Watt 4 Channel with crossover. Subwoofer is the 10 inch custom SC box from SUBBOX).

Old 11-09-2001, 10:51 PM
Jonas, did you take your storage door off or leave it on. I just mounted my amp there too, but took the little door off. I would like to put it back on.

Old 11-10-2001, 12:02 AM
I'm with Jonas. I have two amps mounted behind the rear "wall" on the driver's side. RF300a and a Kicker Impulse. My distribution block sits betweeen them. Both are mounted onto a nice aluminum plate (simply to ease installation and looks). The plate sits on that small lip just aft of the storage box and I've anchored it with short studs and fender washers onto that flimsy "carpet" behind the plastic "wall". It's plenty study. Did the dynamat on the whole back wall of the cab while I was at it. No heat problems.

Old 11-24-2001, 08:27 PM
Here is how I did my amp. It fit very well in the compartment behind the rear seat.
-Michael

Old 12-03-2001, 09:26 PM
I tried this (in starage area, drivers side), but my Kenwood 500.4 amp does fit on that sidr. It only fits on the passenger side if I take out the jack holder thingamahjiggy.

Where did you guys run your wires from back there back to the head unit?

Old 12-03-2001, 11:12 PM
Your inclination is probably to run wires along the floor somewhere. I ran my up into the overhead. It was no problem. I just strung my wires, then covered them completely with the proper color of duct tape. It was a piece of cake!! Seriously, I ran mine forward along the passenger side floor, about 3 inches in from the doors. I did it when everything was torn apart after the dynamat was laid on the floor. I added some carpet padding as well. With the dynamat, the cabin is extra quiet now. And the carpet feels much thicker and smooshier. She loves it. Visit your local chain carpet retailer. There's always a bunch of new padding remnants tossed away in the dumpster. Grab some.

Old 12-04-2001, 11:24 PM
Sundog, you got any pictures of your install process. I'm having a hard time picturing what you describe. The Dynamat/carpet padding idea sounds like a good one. Must have been pretty pricey to Dynamat the entire back wall though.

Old 12-05-2001, 09:53 AM
Sorry, HIScrew, no pix. And I didn't use Dynamat brand stuff. I used Owens-Corning Weatherguard roofing product from Home Depot. Comes on a 33-ft roll. It's a bit thicker and harder to work with, but the results are the same. It's also extremely cheap. (Be sure to get the non-grit version). If that doesn't appeal to you, check McMasters.com for mastic sheets. I also used Cascade brand spray dampener (for the inside of the doors), obtained from http://www.partsexpress.com/
(also an excellent source for raw speakers, misc. wire and cable, and other hard to find goodies, including vehicle carpeting).
All I can tell you is I started early in the morning on a lovely day and methodically removed seats, carpeting and door and rear panels. With a "clean slate" to start from, the routing for wiring became pretty obvious. The hardest part was taking everything out. Once that was done, the rest was reasonably easy to do. I finished the install around 830pm, along with my last slice of pizza and Bass Ale. I tested the connections. Satisfied, I invited my next-door buddy over, poured a couple glasses of single malt, and sat in the cab and toasted the install over cranked Stevie Ray Vaughn. Life is good.

Last edited by sundog7; 12-05-2001 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: SuperCrew Amp Mount