JBL 14001 Amp Going In To Protection Mode.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBL 14001 Amp Going In To Protection Mode.

Hey just got my new Kickers CVX Dual DVC 2 ohm, the proble I'm have is my 3 month old JBL 14001 AMP is going in to protection mode with my new CVX subs, It never went in to protection mode with my cheap Sony subs that I also blew with my JBL 14001 AMP. I check the wire and evry thing looks good, I thought it was my subs so I try them on my cheap Hirton amp and it does not shut down just sounds very weak it only like 500 rms the Hirton amp but they work, so it must be my JBL AMP what can I do to fix this problem?
my set up-
2 cvx dvc 2 ohm sub connect to 1 channel 2 ohm load. any help would be great thanks.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Update if I unplug the RCA jacks it will come on for a few seconds then shuts down the red protection light comes back on. If I lower the amp really low it will stay on, but once I raise the volume to the amp it shuts down, do you think it is because I'm using a 100 fuse instead of the 160 fuse that says in the manuel to use min 160 fuse?

Last edited by LincolnMarkLT20; 08-06-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Double check your wiring to confirm load on amp. With 2 ohm DVC subs you will wire each coil in series to give you 4 ohms per sub and then wire the subs in parallel for 2 ohm load to amp.
Fuse under hood should be rated for the wire size NOT the amp as it is for fire protection. Fuse at amp should be whatever the manufacturer requires. What size power and ground?
What size speaker wire?

Old 08-06-2010, 10:18 AM
RCA's do nothing but give it a signal. Undo the outputs and see if it will idle without a load. If it doesnt then you know its not how the subs are wired, then you have to look at fuses on amp and on power wire and make sure your ground is good.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM
I have 4 wire guage I bought a wireing kit, I have two 10" dvc subs, they are connect one side of the post goes to the amp and the other side of the post post goes to sub is connect + to - each sub is connect like that, I try it againg in the morning and it will play for about 1 min they goes to protection mode.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:28 PM
If they are DVC woofers there will be 4 connections on them. You will take the + of one coil and connect it to the - of the other coil. This puts the two 2 ohm coils in series and gives you a 4 ohm load for that single woofer. Do this to the other woofer as well. Now take the open + connections from each woofer and connect them together. Take the two open - posts and do the same. This puts the woofers in parallel with each other for a 2 ohm load. Connect the amp to these lines.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks Norm, I have connect it again like you said and it is working it is not shutting off I had it on about 20min the only thing is the amp lights dim alot. Thanks every one for your support.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:53 PM
jbl 14001 problem

Hi there guys I`m new to this forum ... and searching on the net i`ve seen you have a clue about in car sound

I`ve recently bought 2 jbl`s 14001 to install them in my car to run 2 orions wcc 2000 rms each orion .

Knowing that jbl`s produce 1300 rms in 2 ohm load and my subs are dvc`s I wired them properly and they were amasing .

Now after 2 months I started to have a problem with one of my jbl`s going into protection mode .

Checked and measured the subs they were ok ... amp going into protection only when rca signal was connected to the amp ... disconnected the sub from the amp but the protection still on , took rca out ... protection gone away .

So I figured it out it might be a small problem ,.. opened the amp no trace of burned no smell no nothing ...

Any ideea guyz I would appreciate .

regards Vlad

Quick Reply: JBL 14001 Amp Going In To Protection Mode.