Best Ground Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by luke280
Hey! I have one of those nifty 'cute' patches! I worked hard and studied alot. Photobucket granted me mine!

had to to it fellas
Glad you liked my album... Youre a chithead.... lol

Old 01-17-2008, 12:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by jbrew
I'm an Engineer. It's in my profile. It doesn't matter what I do @ this point. You better just skedaddle mSall150 ,your obviously not smart enough for this argument. Anyone who crosses a Troyer tune w/Slowmaster set up must have a hole in their marble bag IMO..

I mean , we are taking about being grounded here and most of your info is less than acurate...

That may be a little hard, however, I searched to confirm.

BTW- You have a nice Vid 0-80 . I'm not running a tuner or a re-tune and have a 98 non-PI motor w/234,000 miles on it. I beat your 04 3valve by 2 seconds when comparing.. I like the way your truck sounds tho
well, first of all, i should add that that video was taken up on the interstate 89 that runs through our ranch...at 4100 ft elevation AND with a couple hundred pounds of ranch tools in the bed. due to my tire size, my speedometer is off by 3mph, so when it says i hit 60, im actually doing 63. my old edge and a speed gun my friend has bth have determined my speedo misreadings. at sea level and unloaded, my truck would be a lot faster. also, i use my truck to work, not to race. so frankly, i dont even care how fast your truck is. magnaflows sound like ***, i would never use one.

second of all, i know how to wire an audio system, and do it the right way. i am more then qualified, or as you say "smart enough," to be part of this conversation. however, that was not even my intention. i offer people advice, and they can choose whether or not to take it. you can call me inaccurate, but clearly several people in this thread are disagreeing with YOUR claims.

please dont assault me for asking a simple question, i was just curious and honestly not attacking you.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Well, I didn't get a chance to get any pictures last night, but I was working on the truck. I had an interesting thing happen to me; my battery died.

It wasn't because of my new system I just finished, but it was a factor in the battery's death. When I was working on my truck this weekend, I was just running the speaker wiring to the doors and doing the edead, etc. Since I wasn't working with anything that was hooked up to any power, I didn't bother to disconnect the negative battery cable. As a result my interior lights stayed on for about 6 hours straight. When I went to crank the truck up it just couldn't do it. So, I got out my battery charger and let it do a full charge. Then on Sunday I only had the door open for about 30 minutes and the truck would hardly crank. Finally by yesterday it was having a hard time cranking every time (in the mean time I had charged the battery again on Sunday and Monday). So, I got the battery tested and needless to say, it was dead.

Good news now. I went with an Optima Yellow Top and didn't even have to try to make an excuse for why I needed it. Now for my question.

I currently have my power lines for the amps connected to the battery cable. The Optima has both the top and the side posts, and I would like to attach the amp wires to the side posts to have a cleaner look. I just wasn't sure if that would be alright, or if they need to be connected to the battery cable in order to have a direct flow of power from the alternator. So is it fine to attach the amp lines to the side post?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
Glad you liked my album... Youre a chithead.... lol

Athank you, Athank you.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by carguyingeorgia
I currently have my power lines for the amps connected to the battery cable. The Optima has both the top and the side posts, and I would like to attach the amp wires to the side posts to have a cleaner look. I just wasn't sure if that would be alright, or if they need to be connected to the battery cable in order to have a direct flow of power from the alternator. So is it fine to attach the amp lines to the side post?
Yes, that would be all good. Give a little more chance for some filtering.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes, that would be all good. Give a little more chance for some filtering.
Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by a chance for some filtering?

Old 01-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats odd that you interior lights stayed on that long....

In both my 99 and my 06, they shut off automatically if the door is left open for over 10 or so minutes

Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Thats odd that you interior lights stayed on that long....

In both my 99 and my 06, they shut off automatically if the door is left open for over 10 or so minutes

2 hours on my 98 - not kidding, it's always been that way to the minute .. 99's they changed allot of the electronics around . The fuse blocks as well. I don't think the 99's had MAXI fuses in the PDB did they? OR those 175 amp copper links on the fire wall that the 97-98 models have. My under the hood light goes out as well in a couple hours - It's on a recoil , so I use it for everything. Every two hours I have to shut door and open again (if their left open) to reactivate the timer .. Yea , I bet they changed the timer set in 99.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-17-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
well, first of all, i should add that that video was taken up on the interstate 89 that runs through our ranch...at 4100 ft elevation AND with a couple hundred pounds of ranch tools in the bed. due to my tire size, my speedometer is off by 3mph, so when it says i hit 60, im actually doing 63. my old edge and a speed gun my friend has bth have determined my speedo misreadings. at sea level and unloaded, my truck would be a lot faster. also, i use my truck to work, not to race. so frankly, i dont even care how fast your truck is. magnaflows sound like ***, i would never use one.

second of all, i know how to wire an audio system, and do it the right way. i am more then qualified, or as you say "smart enough," to be part of this conversation. however, that was not even my intention. i offer people advice, and they can choose whether or not to take it. you can call me inaccurate, but clearly several people in this thread are disagreeing with YOUR claims.

please dont assault me for asking a simple question, i was just curious and honestly not attacking you.

WHAT!! Well since you asked nicely . Yea , I get smoked by the 3 valve when their tuned, that's why it didn't make sense . BUT , a stock 3 valve I can obliterate - A good tune on those motors is like night and day as you probably noticed..

I absolutely dislike the Magnaflow , more than ever .. Really disappointed after all the buildup about their exhaust systems. For one thing they DO NOT weld the factory seam and it leaks (mine did anyway) Like I said many times , I like the sound of the flowmaster - I just wish you could get the torque out it.

However , I did notice that off the line you launched pretty damn good - mid range seemed to be lacking ? So , I don't know what to think or to get as far as exhaust . - Borla , Gibson, Roush, Corsa.. I'm leaning toward Borla or Roush. Yours sounds good ( :

As far as grounds "Akums Razor"..There's your answer

Last edited by jbrew; 01-17-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 PM

WHAT!! Well since you asked nicely . Yea , I get smoked by the 3 valve when their tuned, that's why it didn't make sense . BUT , a stock 3 valve I can obliterate - A good tune on those motors is like night and day as you probably noticed..

I absolutely dislike the Magnaflow , more than ever .. Really disappointed after all the buildup about their exhaust systems. For one thing they DO NOT weld the factory seam and it leaks (mine did anyway) Like I said many times , I like the sound of the flowmaster - I just wish you could get the torque out it.

However , I did notice that off the line you launched pretty damn good - mid range seemed to be lacking ? So , I don't know what to think or to get as far as exhaust . - Borla , Gibson, Roush, Corsa.. I'm leaning toward Borla or Roush. Yours sounds good ( :

As far as grounds "Akums Razor"..There's your answer
i think the fact that i have 4 factory cats is killing my torque. i love the way it sounds but my mid-range is hurting a little. im thinking of installing two high flow cats for my 4 factory ones, and replacing the flowmaster with a dynomax race bullet. hopefully it will still sound okay.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Gentleman,
Lets pay the respect to the original poster to not change this to an exhaust thread please.

Thanks in advance,
Devildog101

Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by a chance for some filtering?
I think he means noise or interference, but - Same Source so Idunno.

ANYWAY - I would. Take advantage of it if you can .

BTW - GREAT battery choice - But 6 hours on the lights ??? WOW ! are you sure ?

Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
BTW - GREAT battery choice - But 6 hours on the lights ??? WOW ! are you sure ?
I guess maybe I should restate what happened. I was working on the truck for around 6 hours straight opening and closing the doors occasionally. I did not pay attention to whether the lights were on the whole time. They very well may have shut off at times when the doors were open for an extended period. Nevertheless, the point was that the battery became a boat anchor quickly after all this happened. I think the battery may have been on the way out before this though, because with the new yellow top I can tell that the starter turns the engine over MUCH faster than with the stock battery. The truck has 40k on it, so I don't feel too bad about having to replace the battery.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:22 AM
The alternator puts out AC current. The rectifiers can only do so much. So by the time it hits the battery its close to DC but not quite. The battery acts as a capacitor only letting DC pass. So it will actually have to pass through the battery not touching the alternator in-wire and passing as much AC.
AC and bad grounds are some of the main reasons for noise in a system.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:45 AM
The alternator puts out AC current. The rectifiers can only do so much. So by the time it hits the battery its close to DC but not quite. The battery acts as a capacitor only letting DC pass. So it will actually have to pass through the battery not touching the alternator in-wire and passing as much AC.
AC and bad grounds are some of the main reasons for noise in a system.
Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Best Ground Location