Best Ground Location

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
WHAT IS THAT???

Originally Posted by Crewwzin
haha...I was wondering that myself, just didnt wanna say anything.

What r u guys brain dead

Patricks quote was above that post revealing the local - Bartak helped me install this OLD amp awhile ago. - The rear seat bolts - My Amp grounds . The stereo , amp still kicks a$$ after 2 years of jamming.. Those are the best ground points IMO.

Just trying to help .

Last edited by jbrew; 01-13-2008 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohhh i see, is that under the floor carpet?

Old 01-13-2008, 02:09 PM

Yea, thats a rear seat bolts at the split- I had the carpet out because I replaced it all at the same time I wired in the amp. I had to work on the rear seat as well - lifted that 4" to allow room for the 12" woofers..

Heres the receiver ground under the DS kick panel -

Last edited by jbrew; 01-13-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Yall can take it for what its worth... But the seatbelt/jack bolts are very intermittent.

I happen to do this everyday.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM
If its a good ground it will be less than 1 ohm.
Ok, a little problem here. I have all my wires run and was going to hook everything up last night when I went through the process of trying to determine a good ground spot. When I check with the DMM the lowest resitance reading I could get was around 13 using the 8 gauge wire. The resistance of the wire was .2, so the ground was nowhere near 1. I checked all over behind the seat and could not find a better ground using this method. Any advice?

Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 AM

Yall can take it for what its worth... But the seatbelt/jack bolts are very intermittent.

I happen to do this everyday.
Well I had to just do it just once - two years ago and it's works "every day", I don't have to work on it "every day". I had a guy at Mickey Shore do one up for me once. Some of those stereo shops take every shortcut they can just to get the system working. It doesn't last long in my experience.

Coming to this forum and being instructed didn't give me an "intermittent" install. It was done right this time. I can tell every time I turn it up.

It's funny that you comment without revealing a better idea..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-14-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Well I had to just do it just once - two years ago and it's works "every day", I don't have to work on it "every day". I had a guy at Mickey Shore do one up for me once. Some of those stereo shops take every shortcut they can just to get the system working. It doesn't last long in my experience.

Coming to this forum and being instructed didn't give me an "intermittent" install. It was done right this time. I can tell every time I turn it up.

As a part of the "Big 4" wire upgrade, I ran my 1/0 G ground through a grommet hole on the driver's side under the sill plate at the back of the cab (there is an identical grommet on the passenger side if that works better for you). The ground is directly bolted to the frame. You can see detailed pictures in my gallery at: https://www.f150online.com/galleries...cfm?gnum=10819

Look under the section "Big 4 upgrade & Yellow top".

Since I have 1/0 G going to frame grounds at 3 different points in parallel to the OEM ground points, all is good. I suspect that floating grounds are not an issue with my set up. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by 1-bigmac
As a part of the "Big 4" wire upgrade, I ran my 1/0 G ground through a grommet hole on the driver's side under the sill plate at the back of the cab (there is an identical grommet on the passenger side if that works better for you). The ground is directly bolted to the frame.
Based on everything people have said, the ground shouldn't be longer than around 3 feet. You haven't had any problems with yours being so long?

Old 01-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 1-bigmac
As a part of the "Big 4" wire upgrade, I ran my 1/0 G ground through a grommet hole on the driver's side under the sill plate at the back of the cab (there is an identical grommet on the passenger side if that works better for you). The ground is directly bolted to the frame. You can see detailed pictures in my gallery at: https://www.f150online.com/galleries...cfm?gnum=10819

Look under the section "Big 4 upgrade & Yellow top".

Since I have 1/0 G going to frame grounds at 3 different points in parallel to the OEM ground points, all is good. I suspect that floating grounds are not an issue with my set up. Good luck!

WOW! Now that's a system!! - Very useful info and pictures , thanks.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by carguyingeorgia
Ok, a little problem here. I have all my wires run and was going to hook everything up last night when I went through the process of trying to determine a good ground spot. When I check with the DMM the lowest resitance reading I could get was around 13 using the 8 gauge wire. The resistance of the wire was .2, so the ground was nowhere near 1. I checked all over behind the seat and could not find a better ground using this method. Any advice?
Did you make sure to scratch down the paint to bare metal before you tested it? I installed an amp in my truck this weekend and did a bunch of testing and found some very interesting stuff.

1) I tested straight to the seat bolt. The resistance was about 23 ohms.

2) I tested various points on the body without scratching the paint down. Resistance varied between 10-15 ohms.

3) I scratched down the paint in a couple of different spots. Resistance between .3-.7 ohms.

My advice is to just check a few different spots and use the one that works the best.

As far as your install jbrew, sometimes luck plays a big part of the equation. I have seen some seatbelt bolts and body panels that have awesome grounds, then like the ones I just mentioned, make an absolutely poopy ground. As for your situation, congratulations. You have a great install that has lasted years without fail. But in my experience, you are the minority when it comes to using a ground without checking it with a meter. Cheers.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 PM

As far as your install jbrew, sometimes luck plays a big part of the equation. I have seen some seatbelt bolts and body panels that have awesome grounds, then like the ones I just mentioned, make an absolutely poopy ground. As for your situation, congratulations. You have a great install that has lasted years without fail. But in my experience, you are the minority when it comes to using a ground without checking it with a meter. Cheers.

Thanks , yea , I ground the paint off and my ground wire is only a little over 2 foot long from the amp. That's just the big , I have an RCA ground in back aswell. If you notice I have separate grounds in different locals. It's not luck at all as far as that . I used factory grounds(cab) on everything up front . I have two monster straps on each side of the cab connecting the cab to the frame rail. Grounds are very important and I overdid it as far as that goes, if there is such a thing. BTW - there's two smaller straps on the front of the cab to the frame as well, almost slipped my mind -it's been awhile . I didn't use a multi meter to check the grounding - By your experience , you know why..

I also used anti -corrosion and Di -electric grease. No luck needed , she's grounded..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-14-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
i might just check mine tomorrow. Ive got my system all pulled out so it wont be a problem if i decide i need to grind some paint off.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 AM

I commented without giving an appropriate place...? I have told countless people in multiple threads that you need to find a place on the body. And that the grounds should be no longer than 2 ft. The shorter the better. And I have yet to comment....

Look, I actually have a clue. And yes, some installers take shortcuts when they do their installs (you fall into that category) but I go the extra mile to make sure things are perfect, and wouldnt be where I am today, if I took shortcuts.

Sorry your di-electric, anti-corrosion and seatbelt coc ktail hasnt caused a problem yet, but when it does (and 9/10 says it will) I will be here to tell you the correct way and try not to laugh when it does. So before you go and start directing and talking like you actually know all about this, check your sources.

P.S. Needing an RCA ground tells me that yours doesnt work well....

SORRY everyone else for the rant.

Last edited by Low_e_Red; 01-15-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:44 AM

I commented without giving an appropriate place...? I have told countless people in multiple threads that you need to find a place on the body. And that the grounds should be no longer than 2 ft. The shorter the better. And I have yet to comment....

Look, I actually have a clue. And yes, some installers take shortcuts when they do their installs (you fall into that category) but I go the extra mile to make sure things are perfect, and wouldnt be where I am today, if I took shortcuts.

Sorry your di-electric, anti-corrosion and seatbelt coc ktail hasnt caused a problem yet, but when it does (and 9/10 says it will) I will be here to tell you the correct way and try not to laugh when it does. So before you go and start directing and talking like you actually know all about this, check your sources.

P.S. Needing an RCA ground tells me that yours doesnt work well....

SORRY everyone else for the rant.
No your not -

I fall into that catagory ? WTF!! R U Goofy or what..? I resent that. You got an enemy - U freakin happy now ?
I can tell your the kind of installer that gets his a$$ kicked in the real world - then comes here to get validated . Your really some kind of stupid. Hell, I doubt they let you maintain the display @ work.

I didn't say I needed a RCA ground , I just followed directions . Try reading slower, it may help. I'll trust the manufacturer before anything you have to say. What the hell is wrong with grounding the RCA now?

Keep it up , your digging your own hole. I know your full of sh^t now.

BTW - I didn't need to install it twice - I don't do it the way you do . Your a complete bonehead - Apoligize for that and spewing your meaningless BS. Why post if you can't contribiute anything that helps - Braging about yourself isn't working for yuh ..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-15-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
No your not -

I fall into that catagory ? WTF!! R U Goofy or what..? I resent that. You got an enemy - U freakin happy now ?
I can tell your the kind of installer that gets his a$$ kicked in the real world - then comes here to get validated . Your really some kind of stupid. Hell, I doubt they let you maintain the display @ work.

I didn't say I needed a RCA ground , I just followed directions . Try reading slower, it may help. I'll trust the manufacturer before anything you have to say. What the hell is wrong with grounding the RCA now?

Keep it up , your digging your own hole. I know your full of sh^t now.

BTW - I didn't need to install it twice - I don't do it the way you do . Your a complete bonehead - Apoligize for that and spewing your meaningless BS. Why post if you can't contribiute anything that helps - Braging about yourself isn't working for yuh ..
Wow. An enemy...

RCA grounds are only needed when ground loops are present. And anytime you use a ground on a set of RCA's it is very possible to lose signal. Therefore not done right.

All jack/seatbelt grounds are "afro engineering". It may work but its not the right way aka a SHORTCUT.

AGAIN Wow. Im digging a hole. What are you going to do?? Glad to know that you "know" im full of sh*t. I bet others are thinking the same...

Quick Reply: Best Ground Location