how much is to much???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much is to much???

I may ne able to get hooked up with 2 free kicker L7 12s but ill have to buy the amp. The rms is 750 and peak is 1500. I was looking at 2 4 ohm models and wiring them to 1 ohm, i was also looking at the planet audio P2250D amp. So if the stats are real each sub should get 1125 watts. Is this to much? If so i will get 2 ohm models wire them to 2 ohm and use a fosgate power 1500.1bd. That would hit the rms but i can get the PA amp cheaper than the fosgate. I just wnat to know how much is 2 much?

Also on www.electronicgiant.com in the planet audio amps there is a PA P2250D-$465 and the PA TT2250D-$479 same power ratings and evrything but they look different and are $14 difference. Which one is better?

Thanks,
X

Old 09-09-2003, 06:36 AM
There is no real answer to that question. The best that I can tell you is if you tune the system correctly and don't clip the output then virtually every quality sub on the market will handle peeks well above the peek power handling they list. (Just like a good engineer will engineer in that extra comfort zone it is the same with high quality speakers) I have personally exceeded a manufacturers peek wattage rating on Kicker, RF, ID, Diamond, Hart, Oz, Autotek and other makers by as much as 3 times what they recommend without problem (of course this was only in very short bursts & with an unclipped signal).

What it really boils down to is how are you on your equipment? Do you crank it up as loud as it will go? Do you listen loud for long time frames (like go to the beach and turn it up really loud so everyone within a mile can also enjoy your music )?
If you listen at normal levels 90% of the time but like to crank it up when a good song comes on then don't be to concerned with power ratings because Kicker is quality equipment. So it truly does come down to you.

The fastest way to destroy a speaker is with a distorted input signal and this even goes for putting less than peek power into the sub. I have seen people blow subs rated for much higher than their amp is capable of producing because they overdrive the amp and cause a trashy signal to be sent to the subs.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Get the TT2250, the only difference between the two is the TT model has a RCA preout voltage switch to help set the gain.

Old 09-09-2003, 07:01 AM
2Trucks must be working for PA.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:49 PM

I've been accused of working for a few different car audio manufacturers...

Last edited by 2Trucks1Wife; 09-09-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:42 AM
2Trucks,

Man, I remember back in the day when it was easy to know what was good and what was a real POS. There have just been so many come and go manufacturers in car audio that anymore it is getting difficult to know enough about each of them and the product they build. Some of them have gone from making crap to top building notch equipment (a few anyway) and some (even more so than the latter) have gone from top shelf to bottom rung. One prime example is Lanzar, they used to be a great product but anymore they are not the same quality they once were. There was an amp company at one time called Hott Setup that made one killer amp but I don't even think they are around anymore. Anyway, things just aren't what they used to be. Heck I remember the days when RF and Hafler was a joint venture out of their garage. (Darn I am getting old) Hafler was primarily home audio and we all know what RF was. Then Hafler and RF split and Hafler came on the car audio scene for a brief period and I don't think they are in car audio anymore.

Man how times change!

Old 09-10-2003, 01:16 PM
I will most likely be listening to it normaly most of the time except for a good song or when im showin it off So as long as i dont have the gains all the way up i should be ok, right?

Old 09-11-2003, 01:35 AM
Provided that you are actually listening to your system closely to make sure it doesn't sound distorted you should be fine. Espcially since most of the time you will not be trying to beat the crap out of your equipment running it wide open. Think of it as the engine in your truck. Sure, it will work with a supercharger but it depends on your driving as to how long it will last before overhaul time. If you ran a SC on a stock engine not built to handle it yes it would run fine and last a long time as long as you aren't constantly hammering WOT on it everytime the truck moves.