Autotek??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autotek??

I was looking at www.electronicgiant.com and saw the autotek MX5000. http://www.electronicgiant.com/catal...oducts_id=1565 Does anyone know if these are quality amps? It could fit my powerneeds pretty well but i dont want to buy somthing thats not gonna hold up to what it says. I was also looking at the Planet Audio P2250D. http://www.electronicgiant.com/catal...roducts_id=829 . Depending on what style and impedence of subs i use either of these would work. I would just like to know if any of you guys know if there quality or not.

Thanks,
X

Last edited by RoadRacer-X; 09-05-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:55 PM
I have in the past used the Autotek amplifiers and they are great amps. They are not as widely known as some other brands but high quality none the less. IMO, they are much better than the Planet Audio in terms of reliability. I worked in a shop that carried both lines and our returns for repair were much lower on the Autotek's. I also helped build a demo van for Autotek that utilized 16 12" bass thrust subs and bass thrust amps and I must say that it did pound. Either way you go you should be happy with the results but I feel from my experience with both products that the Autotek is the better of the two amps.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info! I was hoping it was a good amp because of the price on it . One of my many thoughts and the one im leaning towards right now is Running 2 12" Fosgate Power HX2 subs with the MX5000 amp. The sub is 1000rms, 2000peak, and they have dual 2 ohm voice coils so if i wire them in combination of series and parralel it will run the amp at 2ohms which should give 1200watts to each sub. Any problems or suggestions with this setup? I would really like to get everything right from the word go.

Thanks,
X

Old 09-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Both amps are excellent in terms of quality & reliability. I run Autotek & Planet Audio amps in my truck. Personally, I would go with the Planet Audio, because it is almost $100 cheaper and it will give you the power you need. Like I said before, you can't go wrong with either amp.

*Just a heads up* If you buy from electronicgiant, expect to wait 3-4 weeks for your amp to arrive. They are one of the cheapest retailers, but they take forever to ship their products out.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:08 AM
What type box are you going to mount the RF's in? If you choose sealed you will get some great response from them (really tight hard hit). They get real boomy in a ported box. Either way they will handle the power no problem provided you don't try and run your gains wide open and wind up sending a hideously clipped output to the subs. If you port and want SPL they respond well ported at 50hz. My biggest suggestions for your setup that will give you greatest response would be to A. Fiberglass the inside of your enclosure B. If porting it, consider building the enclosure using vents rather than standard pipe style ports. I am from the old school and in our trucks you can get great results loading a rectagle vent to fire into the rear corners.

Old 09-07-2003, 03:07 PM
I was leaning towards a sealed box because i have heard they have a more tight hit. Thats more what i want than real boomy bass. I plan on mounting the box in the bed with probably a 24"x18" square cut to have the subs firing into the cab and still keep my back seat. I know i could probably get better subs for that money but no one that i know has fosgate, all Kicker, MA, JL, and AudioBahn. They all sound good but i dont want the same stuff as everyone else i know. Ok, how do you know what hz your box is at? Is it another calculation with airspace? What Size box would you recomend for these subs?

Thanks,
X

Old 09-07-2003, 03:13 PM
If you want to use subs that nobody else has, there are quite a few alternatives to RF. As far as which one to get...it all depends on your budget.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:13 AM
I agree with 2Trucks on that one. There are tons of different speaker manufacturers out there that make subs just as good if not better than RF. There are also those out there that make pure garbage so you gotta bewary of some. Hart, Diamond, Oz, ImageDynamics and more all make nice equipment. So there are more options. I will not try to sway you to any particular brand and instead will just let you make your own mind up. However, my biggest suggestion for you is to never buy any equipment that you have never heard for the simple fact that what one person thinks is great you may think sounds terrible.

As far as the box size goes for the subs since you are choosing to run them sealed you do not have to worry about a tuning frequency. Your main concern needs to be optimum box size. Since you are going to use the through the back of the cab method with the box in the bed this opens you up to a whole new world of box called A-periodic (the best sounding out there with the exception of maybe a di-pole setup which is also a superb enclosureless style but even more complicated to build). A-periodics are difficult to tune and you have to use an RTA to get them exactly right but if you know a shop that has an RTA available I am sure they will allow you to rent out a bay for an hour or two of test and tune to get the box dialed in. Oh, another huge advantage of the A-periodic enclosure is that you can build the box as small as you can and it works even better!

Anyway, if you want a little more SPL with good SQ sealed will be the way for you to go. In that case just build the box as close to dead on the manufacturers specs and you will be very pleased with the results. Be sure that you calculate speaker displacement into your enclosure size.

Quick Reply: Autotek??