2015 - 2020 F-150

Major Safety! Do not do this with cruise control engaged in traffic.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MKTRUCK
Thanks. I was doing some research for a new car and driver yesterday and saw there was an update available for some F150 cruise control systems. NHTSA site.
Thanks. I will look that up. The cruise control module was replaced early on by another ford dealership not to long after the original owner had special ordered and received the truck. My truck is a 2015 Lariat and I got it in 2016. The original owner did not care for the new technology. Just like me, you can read all you want but until you have it and use it everyday you will never truly know anything about it. Some are bias when talking about the new technology but I can say I now have first hand real world experience with it.

Old 02-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's pretty simple really. It's not hitting the brakes, therefore no need for brake lights. It's just coasting as others mentioned. If the adaptive cruise determines it needs to hit the brakes to slow you down, it will fire up the brake lights.

I've got an F350 with the exhaust brake that slows you down considerably without touching the brakes. No brake lights unless brakes are applied. Period.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm just trying to figure out why you're using cruise control in traffic.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wookie
I'm just trying to figure out why you're using cruise control in traffic.

I live in Florida and cruise control is useless here because of 24/7 heavy traffic on all highways. I used the cruise maybe once.
I have no idea WTF adaptive cruise control is. I am having a hard time understanding why someone would think the brake lights should be on when using the cruise to coast.

Last edited by Paul888; 02-06-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:58 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Adaptive cruise control uses sensors to maintain a constant distance from the vehicle in front of you. It may very well apply the brakes.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
It's pretty simple really. It's not hitting the brakes, therefore no need for brake lights. It's just coasting as others mentioned. If the adaptive cruise determines it needs to hit the brakes to slow you down, it will fire up the brake lights.

I've got an F350 with the exhaust brake that slows you down considerably without touching the brakes. No brake lights unless brakes are applied. Period.
I like the exhaust brake on the F series diesel... it works just like my trucks with manual transmissions. You let off the pedal, you slow down.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I like the exhaust brake on the F series diesel... it works just like my trucks with manual transmissions. You let off the pedal, you slow down.
I would love to have the capabilities of an exhaust brake but do not want the added expense of maintaining the Diesel engine.

Last edited by LariatBill; 02-07-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 02-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
While I think the brake lights should activate any time the brakes are applied, I would not like to trust the adaptive cruise in heavy traffic. I know we're headed to that place, where the vehicles drive US, but I don't think we're there yet.

I can remember though, my first car with air-conditioning, then with cruise control, reliable power windows, power mirrors, now with automatic headlights and so on. At the time, they all seemed a luxury, but now I wouldn't have a vehicle without them.

- Jack

Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
While I think the brake lights should activate any time the brakes are applied, I would not like to trust the adaptive cruise in heavy traffic. I know we're headed to that place, where the vehicles drive US, but I don't think we're there yet.

I can remember though, my first car with air-conditioning, then with cruise control, reliable power windows, power mirrors, now with automatic headlights and so on. At the time, they all seemed a luxury, but now I wouldn't have a vehicle without them.

- Jack
Creature comforts are nice. We deserve to indulge in those comforts now as we get older because we grew up like you said doing it the manual way without AC and electronic technology. Yes I love the ability to take a 900 mile trip and let my gps navigation talk tome and tell me when I half to make a turn. Much easier than opening a 2 foot by 3 foot paper map in the front seat while driving.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:31 PM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
You gotta be careful with a GPS. They have been known to take you onto impassible unpaved roads or the wrong way on a 1 way street.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Adaptive cruise control uses sensors to maintain a constant distance from the vehicle in front of you. It may very well apply the brakes.
It does apply the brakes with zero input from the driver. Have experienced this first hand in my 2015 F150 Lariat Supercrew 5.0 V8 6 speed auto transmission 4x4.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by glc
You gotta be careful with a GPS. They have been known to take you onto impassible unpaved roads or the wrong way on a 1 way street.
Been there, done that.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
Yes it does apply the brakes if necessary (it will lock up your seatbelt too) and the brake lights come on if it applies the brakes.

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
While I think the brake lights should activate any time the brakes are applied, I would not like to trust the adaptive cruise in heavy traffic.
Yes, brake lights DO come on any time the brakes are applied.

Originally Posted by LariatBill
It does apply the brakes with zero input from the driver. Have experienced this first hand in my 2015 F150 Lariat Supercrew 5.0 V8 6 speed auto transmission 4x4.
Yep, and the brake lights come on when that happens.

Quick Reply: Major Safety! Do not do this with cruise control engaged in traffic.