2015 - 2020 F-150

2017 F-150 News!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by white elephant
I can't help but wonder if this is overblown. I have over 100k miles on my company issued escape with the 1.6. Runs just as it did (if not better) than on day one with only one non maintenance issue.
I've had a co-worker that had to pay for the decarbonization on his Volkswagon. It's definitely an issue with direct injection engine. How much of an issue is disputed.

But the fact that Ford is switching to the dual injection system, if true, makes me wonder. They aren't doing it for fun, and I don't know of any other significant reasons to switch to port and direct over just direct, and it's definitely more expensive and complicated.

Old 03-03-2016, 11:51 AM
Supposedly the carbon deposits are not an issue on the EB engines due to the turbos and the way the exhaust gases are forced out, thus not allowing any carbon to build up on the intake valves. It's basically a non-issue.

As far as the dual injection setup, I'm guessing it gives Ford much better control over fuel, allowing them to use port for when it is beneficial and direct for when it is beneficial. I think port is cleaner on startup, and quieter at idle. It allows them to have the advantages of both injection types, plus the ability to deliver enough fuel for the high HP engines.

I'm sure they aren't doing it just to say they can...

Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Lexus dual fuel system helps increase fuel economy as well. Basically don't use DI if you don't need it, therefore not running a high pressure mechanical pump (parisitic loss)

As well as being able to really tweak fuel tables to maximize efficiency

ETA link:http://www.enginelabs.com/news/new-l...kinson-cycles/

Last edited by Patman; 03-03-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob15
I've had a co-worker that had to pay for the decarbonization on his Volkswagon. It's definitely an issue with direct injection engine. How much of an issue is disputed.

But the fact that Ford is switching to the dual injection system, if true, makes me wonder. They aren't doing it for fun, and I don't know of any other significant reasons to switch to port and direct over just direct, and it's definitely more expensive and complicated.
The early VW FSI engines were bad about developing carbon on the valves. They were one of the first main stream DI engines and had a really dirty PCV system. The later TSI engines are better much better. Some of their latest engines also use dual injectors. This is becoming more common on new cars.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the beast with my own eyes! The 3.5 gen 2 on display at the Cleveland auto show has both direct and port injection!
However the display says it is the "high output" version.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Wookie
The early VW FSI engines were bad about developing carbon on the valves. They were one of the first main stream DI engines and had a really dirty PCV system. The later TSI engines are better much better. Some of their latest engines also use dual injectors. This is becoming more common on new cars.
My 2010 LS460L had both port and direct. Lexus has similar carbon buildup issues with early direct injection applications. They went to dual injection in order to fix the issue.

Not sure why Ford didn't do this to begin with considering the known issues with direct injection. I don't believe carbon buildup is not an issue for these engines. My seeing plenty of discussion on ecoboost forums about it. Ford going through all the trouble and expense to add port injection now, just like other manufacturers did when they had carbon buildup issues, seems like a fix, not a feature.

Last edited by Bob15; 03-05-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob15
My 2010 LS460L has both port and direct. Lexus has similar carbon buildup issues with early direct injection applications. They went to dual injection in order to fix the issue.

Not sure why Ford didn't do this to begin with considering the known issues with direct injection. I don't believe carbon buildup is not an issue for these engines. My seeing plenty of discussion on ecoboost forums about it. Ford going through all the trouble and expense to add port injection now, just like other manufacturers did when they had carbon buildup issues, seems like a fix, not a feature.
"Exciting new feature" is sometimes Marketing speak for "fixes a problem that plagued the last generation." Just about everyone who galloped straight to direct injection ran into issues with carbon buildup. This new engine should not only solve that problem, but be pretty sweet too.

Quick Reply: 2017 F-150 News!