Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2015 - 2019 F-150
15 Lariat sport wheel paint peeling! >

15 Lariat sport wheel paint peeling!

2015 - 2019 F-150

15 Lariat sport wheel paint peeling!

 
  #1  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 Lariat sport wheel paint peeling!

I have a 2015 lariat sport and the 20” gunmetal rims paint is peeling off? I have one spot where it is completely peeled off and numerous spots on all of the rims where it is going to continue and peel there too. Ford dealership says this isn’t covered under warranty but this is ridiculous for a $58K car after less than 4 years and 40k miles on the road....

ive seen in the past ford has had employees on here to help....was hoping they could help me...







b
 
  #2  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernon, NY
Posts: 8,910
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks about normal to me.

I prefer standard chrome mag/alloys that you can get a polishing wheel or acid to clean.

Next truck I will try to get some Alcoas for it.

I got a set for my other truck, and every so often, I bring them to a local dude that does semi polishing (tankers, trucks like Peterbilts, etc), and have him do it for $25. I throw him a $50 because I like him, and he does a heck of a job.
 
  #3  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:55 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks normal? F that....there is nothing “normal” about the paint wearing off of a rim that is less than 4 years old ...
 
  #4  
Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2002 with 160000 miles has just started peeling like your first pic. If it had happened when the truck was 4 years old, me and the dealer would have been spending lots of time on the phone with the Ford Regional rep.
 
  #5  
Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta View Post
My 2002 with 160000 miles has just started peeling like your first pic. If it had happened when the truck was 4 years old, me and the dealer would have been spending lots of time on the phone with the Ford Regional rep.
Thats definitely going to happen...Already talked to ford a handful of times...
 
  #6  
Old 06-16-2019, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mansfield,MA
Posts: 2,103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 20" premium PVD wheels and they're peeling all along the edge of the rim. 2016 with 26K. I hadn't tried calling Ford since I figured it was pointless. Interested to see how you make out.
 
  #7  
Old 06-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They replaced all 4 for me
 
  #8  
Old 06-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vernon, NY
Posts: 8,910
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome news!

I don't care what anyone says... Ford still backs their products!

Assuming you take the correct approach and not get all mad about it; which is what I'm assuming the OP did.
 
  #9  
Old 06-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just held my ground that it was a quality issue and not a wear and tear issue which they were alleging ....
they offered to pay half and I declined and asked to speak with a supervisor about the issue. The lady asked me what I felt was fair and I said I felt as if for the amount of money these trucks cost that the paint on the rims shouldn’t be peeling and wearing off after 3 years on the road. I explained that if there were scrapes or chips because of rocks or curbs then I wouldn’t have ever called because I know that isn’t their problem...but this is a quality issue.
She called me back less than 10 minutes later and stated that they were going to cover the full cost of the replacement .

I didnt yell, I didn’t swear, I didn’t overreact. I just stated my complaint and was persistent with it.
 
  #10  
Old 06-16-2019, 06:09 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 546
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HousePSU View Post
I just held my ground that it was a quality issue and not a wear and tear issue which they were alleging ....
they offered to pay half and I declined and asked to speak with a supervisor about the issue. The lady asked me what I felt was fair and I said I felt as if for the amount of money these trucks cost that the paint on the rims shouldn’t be peeling and wearing off after 3 years on the road. I explained that if there were scrapes or chips because of rocks or curbs then I wouldn’t have ever called because I know that isn’t their problem...but this is a quality issue.
She called me back less than 10 minutes later and stated that they were going to cover the full cost of the replacement .

I didnt yell, I didn’t swear, I didn’t overreact. I just stated my complaint and was persistent with it.

Nice work!!!
Ford did the right thing.

Wonder if I try the same thing with my 17 year old truck and wheels!!! LOL!
 
  #11  
Old 06-16-2019, 06:55 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 6
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serotta View Post
Nice work!!!
Ford did the right thing.

Wonder if I try the same thing with my 17 year old truck and wheels!!! LOL!

I agree ...they did the right thing and I was very appreciative of it as well
 
  #12  
Old 06-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 283
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This isn't only happening with the F-150's. I just had the wheels replaced on my 2016 Fusion because they were doing the same thing! Same color wheel as yours. Service manager indicated it was a known problem. I went in prepared for a battle, but it ended up being a positive experience. Now, I just hope these wheels don't do the same thing 3 years down the road.
 
  #13  
Old 06-22-2019, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mansfield,MA
Posts: 2,103
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HousePSU View Post
They replaced all 4 for me
Oh wow, that's awesome! Nice work.
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15 Lariat sport wheel paint peeling!


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: