2015 - 2020 F-150

Tire pressue and TPMS after a rotation

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Tire pressue and TPMS after a rotation

I had my truck serviced today for the free "first oil change and inspection" thing the dealer does, they rotated tires, I specifically asked them to check tire pressures and make them all uniform, and they didn't (a whole other story...).

1. I am confused by what tire pressure the tires are supposed to have. My truck is a 2015 4x2 supercrew with 245/70/17, door sticker says 37 pounds, the truck came with all tires at 45 pounds. Since I took it, some of the tires are less

45 38
40 45

2. After rotation, it appears the TPMS is still reading the tires at their original location, as I checked it BEFORE going into service.

3. How to fix #2?

This is my first vehicle with TPMS

Old 10-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Crazynip, you DO seem to be having more trouble with your truck than the average bear!

First, if the tires on your truck are the ones listed on the door sticker, I'd inflate them to the 37 psi recommended setting. Remember, this is a "cold" pressure, so do it in the morning before driving the truck.

I inflate mine higher if I'm towing, due to the increased load on the tires, but DO NOT exceed the max inflation pressure shown on the tire sidewall.

In my 2014 truck, the owners manual describes a "resetting" or "learning" procedure to follow if the rear tires are supposed to be set at a different pressure than the fronts and they've been rotated. Believe it or not, it involves turning on the hazard flashers three times to enter the "training" mode. If all the tires are supposed to be at the same pressure, this training is not needed. If the TPMS warning illuminates, you should check ALL your tires.

And, in my truck, the TPMS sensors actually see the pressure, and I suspect yours do too. The other method that's used is to measure rotation difference between the road wheels. If a tire has lost pressure, it will be rotating faster than the others. I don't care for this method and am glad Ford did not use it.

Hope this helps.

- Jack

Old 10-21-2015, 03:31 PM
I wouldnt say i'm having problems at all. Just it appears that my truck came delivered with more pressure than it should have. I will see about the "learning mode" thing, I didnt even look at the manual.

I was more than a little miffed that the dealer didnt bother do what I asked when I had it there though...

Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well... you might not have had the same experience I had, but if you did, it would explain the pressure being the same.

When I took mine in for an oil change and tire rotation, they definitely changed the oil (I marked the old oil filter), but they didn't rotate the tires, even though they said they did when my wife picked it up. I marked each rim on the inside before I dropped it off, so I could tell it wasn't done. I called them the next day, and they apologized, and said to drop it off whenever it was convenient for me and they would take care of it. Its more convenient for me to just do it myself at this point. Since I was taking it to them for an oil change, it would've been nice to get the tires rotated at the same time.

Not completely sure they put the correct weight oil in... but that's another story.

Last edited by TheDutchman; 10-23-2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Global Moderator &

Dutchman, regarding your oil, have you looked at the invoice you received when the work was done? The oil weight should be listed there, and that's how I found my dealership had put the wrong oil in my truck at its oil change.

I believe this can be an ongoing problem, since the EcoBoosts require a heavier weight oil than the other engines in recent Ford trucks. You'd think they'd just read what's on the oil cap, but maybe that's asking too much.

And, in reading the posts by Labnerd, I think having the lighter weight oil installed could be potentially damaging, so I'd try to verify what's in there if I were you.

- Jack

Old 10-23-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi JackandJanet, I looked at the invoice, and that's why I'm not completely sure they put the correct oil in.

The invoice shows the wrong weight (5W-20), but the window sticker they put in the top left corner of my windshield shows the correct weight (5W-30). My oil cap has the correct weight (5W-30).

When I called to ask about it, they asked "what does the invoice say". I said 5W-20, and he said "that's what they put in it then". I told him that was wrong since its the EcoBoost and it should have 5W-30. He put me on hold to check with one of the techs, and when he came back, he told me they put the correct weight (5W-30) in it.

I'm hoping they put the correct weight in it since the cap is correct and the window sticker is correct. Not sure if the invoice is more reliable, or the window sticker, or the guy I spoke to for that matter.

Looks like I'm changing the oil and rotating my tires myself from now on. Screw the coupon.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Global Moderator &

Dutchman, for what it's worth, I noticed my engine was "noisier" (kind of a "clattering" kind of sound) with the lighter weight oil in it. But of course, I really only noticed the change after they corrected the oil, and the engine was suddenly quieter.

Personally, I think I'd use the invoice as the "final word", since that's what you have as proof that service was performed in the event of a warranty issue. The window sticker won't cut it. I'd try to get them to change the oil. My dealership was very accommodating when I called about it and then took my truck back. They did not give me a hard time at all.

Just a comment about this thread: I know we've drifted off the original "title" of tire pressure, but I felt the REAL subject was "dealer service", and, since tire rotation is normally done with oil changes, I feel the two are closely related. That's my reasoning for not separating this discussion into two threads.

- Jack

Old 10-23-2015, 08:35 PM
So it did finally update, I checked a day later and they were correct.

They didnt do what I asked and check tire pressure and fix it, like I asked them to do. Even though the check box says they did.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crazynip
...They didnt do what I asked and check tire pressure and fix it, like I asked them to do. Even though the check box says they did.
Hi crazynip,

I'll document your feedback about this dealership experience; just send over your details in a PM, and I'll do the rest. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, servicing dealership, and any specifics you'd like me to add.

Crystal

Old 10-26-2015, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine came higher than what is on the door sticker too. Had like 44 in them, sticker says 35 I think.

No biggie, I am sure they are aiming for better safe than sorry. No telling where these trucks go or what happens to them after being shipped out. They probably put enough in so no matter how cold it is they stay within safe range

Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by joe t.
Mine came higher than what is on the door sticker too. Had like 44 in them, sticker says 35 I think.

No biggie, I am sure they are aiming for better safe than sorry. No telling where these trucks go or what happens to them after being shipped out. They probably put enough in so no matter how cold it is they stay within safe range
Interesting! I wonder what the "Dealer Prep" that we pay for in a new vehicle consists of?

- Jack

Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Buy it in texas and end up driving it to cold Canada on a business trip is probably what they are thinking.

I am sure stuff like that happens more often than you think.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:27 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by joe t.
Buy it in texas and end up driving it to cold Canada on a business trip is probably what they are thinking.

I am sure stuff like that happens more often than you think.
Joe, that's a possibility, but it seems pretty far-fetched to me, especially since the trucks now come with a pressure sensing TPMS. You'd certainly have a warning light if the pressure went too low.

I DO suspect the tires are inflated high at the factory, possibly to minimize "flat-spotting", or, since this is the first inflation, to compensate for a slow leak due to imperfect sealing at the rims. I have a trailer tire that loses air VERY slowly, and it's the only tire on my trailer or vehicles that does this. It did that from the time it was mounted (new).

But, when a vehicle is sold, the dealership is supposed to do an inspection and check everything before it leaves the lot. Doesn't seem they are being too thorough in some cases. *shrug*

- Jack

Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Dont put it past some of these workers to destroy **** and hurt themselves in the process. I bought a newer used but nice econoline van with a 50% decent set of tires on it for my assistant a few months ago. Hes had 3 blowouts. The second one was on the HOV carpool lane which is a single lane into downtown.
After the first one I gave him $25 cash out of my pocket to go get a used spare.
Well he didnt buy the spare so he had to cause a traffic jam driving slowely to the next bus terminal exit. He also didnt have a passenger but somehow got the HOV people to help him and not give him a ticket.
The third one he screwed up the fender.

Notice the toyos on my f150 I put on at 500 miles, gave my assistant my original tires for his personal truck because the tires on it were plum smooth and curb rashed to hell.

Long story short, some things need to be idiot proof.

Last edited by joe t.; 10-27-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Interesting! I wonder what the "Dealer Prep" that we pay for in a new vehicle consists of?
Right?

Quick Reply: Tire pressue and TPMS after a rotation