2009 - 2014 F-150

2014 XLT 4WD ... I have no grease fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 XLT 4WD ... I have no grease fittings?

Granted, I've been around a while ... and I'm expecting to find grease fittings somewhere on my 2014. Hell, my 68 Chrysler had at least 12 of them. But I realize there are typically less and less as we progress through the years - and, in fact, my 98 F150 2WD only had 4.

But I'm finding zero on my 2014. I've looked several times. As always, the owner's manual is vague at best, telling me to definitely grease the ones I have (but not telling me if I have any or where they might be). Should I really expect to have zero - or am I missing something?

Thanks,
dogfood

Old 11-27-2015, 06:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dogfood
Granted, I've been around a while ... and I'm expecting to find grease fittings somewhere on my 2014. Hell, my 68 Chrysler had at least 12 of them. But I realize there are typically less and less as we progress through the years - and, in fact, my 98 F150 2WD only had 4.

But I'm finding zero on my 2014. I've looked several times. As always, the owner's manual is vague at best, telling me to definitely grease the ones I have (but not telling me if I have any or where they might be). Should I really expect to have zero - or am I missing something?

Thanks,
dogfood
0 is correct. That's why I couldn't wait till I had enough miles to swap out all the front end parts to Moog problem solvers with grease fittings.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
It should have zero.

Unless you get aftermarket replacements that have Zerks, like 2008_XL states.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:23 PM
And there's a reason you don't find them anymore from the factory. Parts with grease fittings will last longer if they are regularly greased, but majority of people will most likely never add grease to them and they'll fail quicker than sealed parts, plus sealed ones are generally cheaper.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just ranting about this to myself yesterday. My truck went into the shop yesterday for yet another part failing way too early....

34k miles - left upper ball joint (out of warranty due to time)
46k miles - right upper ball joint
55k miles (yesterday) intermediate steering shaft U-joints seized up.

All that plus having to replace my front rotors at 50k due to severe rust.

I know a lot has to do with the junk they put on the roads here in the winter. A 50/50 mixture of sand/salt - it sticks like glue to everything under the truck. While pure salt is even more caustic at least it will rinse off fairly easily - not this stuff.

If I was able to grease these above items (yeah...besides the rotors) I feel none of them would have failed so early.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by stormtech
I was just ranting about this to myself yesterday. My truck went into the shop yesterday for yet another part failing way too early....

34k miles - left upper ball joint (out of warranty due to time)
46k miles - right upper ball joint
55k miles (yesterday) intermediate steering shaft U-joints seized up.

All that plus having to replace my front rotors at 50k due to severe rust.

I know a lot has to do with the junk they put on the roads here in the winter. A 50/50 mixture of sand/salt - it sticks like glue to everything under the truck. While pure salt is even more caustic at least it will rinse off fairly easily - not this stuff.

If I was able to grease these above items (yeah...besides the rotors) I feel none of them would have failed so early.
You could always just get the needle fitting for your grease gun and do them that way.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
You could always just get the needle fitting for your grease gun and do them that way.
Never knew about this. So you are saying I could pump grease into the ball joints and the steering shaft U-joints with a needle fitting? Just go in through the rubber boot/seal?

Old 11-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stormtech
Never knew about this. So you are saying I could pump grease into the ball joints and the steering shaft U-joints with a needle fitting? Just go in through the rubber boot/seal?
You can try it that way, but it's not the best thing for your seals. Besides, you're going to find it pretty tough to get that needle through the rubber seal / boot.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
And there's a reason you don't find them anymore from the factory. Parts with grease fittings will last longer if they are regularly greased, but majority of people will most likely never add grease to them and they'll fail quicker than sealed parts, plus sealed ones are generally cheaper.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. No more calls please. Exactly what I was going to say.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
you can drill the top plate and add grease fittings to your factory parts if you'd like

Old 11-28-2015, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
you can drill the top plate and add grease fittings to your factory parts if you'd like
Wouldn't that cause them overfill and rupture since they aren't made to release the spent grease the same way greaseable units are?

Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Well, I didn't expect this one would generate that much response. Thanks to those who confirmed I have zero grease fittings. Makes me feel better that I wasn't missing something obvious, but then again ...

Like several of you, I would prefer grease fittings. Sure, some people never grease them ... and maybe the guys at the "5 minute happy lube" either miss them or way overfill them, causing the boots themselves to fail early. But just like the fact I have no trans dipstick (or not one that's easily accessible), once again I feel like those of us who take care of our vehicles are being punished for those who don't. But that's the American way now days, I guess.

dogfood

Old 11-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I feel your pains dogfood.

I just had someone come to be and make an analogy about technology when showing them how to change a setting on a projector: "If I take my car to the shop for an oil change, I don't want to know how to change the oil, I just want to pay someone to do it. Just like with technology, I don't want to know how to change the settings, I just want someone to do it for me, because I am not a technician."

Some just like to have blinders on.

Quick Reply: 2014 XLT 4WD ... I have no grease fittings?