2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 F-150 burnt to the ground/ battery light came on

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 F-150 burnt to the ground/ battery light came on

So we purchased a new 2014 F-150 from Hemborg Ford in Norco. A few weeks after buying it the external fan kept coming on right after starting the truck. It would not shut of unless you would turn the truck off and restart it. The truck was then having equipment put in the bed at our shop for a few weeks and a few times when we pulled it in or out of the shop that fan would kick on. So last week the battery light came on. I actually thank god took a picture of the dash. So we Put it in the shop and left. Came back the next day and since the light was on I will let it run outside for a bit while I washed it and maybe the battery is just low and it needed to run. Called our local mechanic a told him about the light and was going to bring it up to see what's up with the fan and the battery light. His shop was 15 min away. Got on the freeway and the battery light was blinking then the Synce system told me I was going to lose some power options due to the battery or something like that. I was now 5 minutes from the mechanics shop. All the dash lights came on and the truck lost power while I was driving on the 10 Frwy in Redlands California. Ironically I just past Ford street and as I looked in the mirror there was smoke behind the truck. I didn't see or smell smoke in front of the truck but as soon as I stopped the flames and smoke were coming out the sides of the hood. I popped the hood and jumped out. The fire was so intense already I couldn't even get my hand to the latch to open the hood. Someone ran up with a fire extinguisher but we could get the hood open because of the heat and flames. So once the tires caught fire we backed away and the tire blew and started a brush fire. I watched in total horror to see our brand new truck engulfed in flames. The fire dept had fight the brush fire first because of the homes so they let the truck burn which then the gas tank on the pressure washer melted and ignited the entire bed on fire. The had 2 super taker planes and 2 water dropping helicopters along with about 50 fire engines. I lost our truck am I want answers from Ford. After talking to a few mechanics it sounds like it might have started at the CATs. Forensics on Monday so then we might know exactly.

Sad to see so much hard work and blood and sweat go up in flames

Less then 5 minutes this was the truck

After ordering a 2015 standard cab truck from Redlands Ford in January of 2015 we were informed in JULY that this style truck wasn't going to be produced in 2015 and we would have to wait until July of 2016 to get it. Got our refund and bout this one that weekend. This was the truck on June 27 after we purchased it new from ford in white.

this is after it was painted 3 1/2 weeks later. We added the chrome grill and chrome wheels

This is 4 weeks after all the equipment went on and the decals were done

This is a picture a day after the one above

Old 09-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DAMN! That sucks! Hopefully they don't jerk you around on this. I would guess a large gauge power wire had a short or bad spot in the jacket and shorted to ground. Once you started driving there was enough heat built up to set it all off.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:53 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
what kind of aftermarket accessories were wired to the truck?

hopefully your insurance takes good care of you!

Old 09-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW! That's a shame! But I hope your insurance is paid up because IMO Ford is going to blame your after market mods and the fact that you didn't INSTANTLY bring it in to have it checked the first time that the problem occurred. And they will also flatly deny any coverage for the work and after market paint and equipment that you added. I'm not saying that they're right but they have legions of lawyers that stay up nights looking for ways for them to deny responsibility!

I seriously doubt that forensics will find anything given the amount of rubber and plastic on modern vehicles and considering that all of that will be burnt up. BUT if you added any kind of power wire to the battery or to the electrical system then they may find it and it will likely get the blame.

This is why I carry three fire extinguishers in my truck! Once a fire starts and gets into the electrical system of a modern vehicle, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to put it out unless you can get the battery disconnected.

Which makes me think that maybe I should a add a crow bar or other tool that I can smash the battery connection apart if I have to!

Old 09-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, I feel for you. That is a shame, all that work down the drain!
I hope it works out for you in the end.

All that fire equipment!
Did you get a bill for that too!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:44 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DutchTouch
...I watched in total horror to see our brand new truck engulfed in flames. The fire dept had fight the brush fire first because of the homes so they let the truck burn which then the gas tank on the pressure washer melted and ignited the entire bed on fire. The had 2 super taker planes and 2 water dropping helicopters along with about 50 fire engines. I lost our truck am I want answers from Ford...
Hi DutchTouch,

After seeing those pictures, I'm so glad that you're safe and that the fire department came quickly. As soon as you are able, I recommend getting in contact with our Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

Old 09-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just don't deal with Hemeroid Ford, they are a bunch of idiots. If you need to go through a dealer then go to Frits Ford in Riverside, they have always treated me first class.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:57 AM
That's not good...

Wonder what the reason was for the batt. light. I guess it must've been a short somewhere, which you think would be fused...

Was thinking about putting a fire extinguisher in the truck. Then I thought, it's not like I'm still driving my '02 which had the recall for the brake switch catching fire.

I'm going to throw one in the truck now.

Hope ford helps you out.

Last edited by aviduser; 09-15-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Call me an optimist, I think it'll buff out.

Just kidding. Glad you are ok. Hopefully you get taken care of by Ford and or Insurance.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Any updates OP? What's Ford saying?

Old 09-15-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If there was anything electrical installed, warranty would have been void.

Quick Reply: 2014 F-150 burnt to the ground/ battery light came on