2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

5.0 vs eco-boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 vs eco-boost

Well my 05 FX4 was totaled over the weekend and so now I'm in the market for a new truck. I've decided on a left over 2014 but not sure which engine to go with. I tried a forum search to try to get some input but thought this might be quicker and easier. I'm going with the 4X4 but will only be towing occasionally. Just looking for some input and experiences with both engines and if anyone has had any issues with one more than the other. Thanks for any input guys.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both are good engines.. Since we are talking about 14 models i would bet that either engine would be great reliability wise.

If you are going to cruise around town and tow occasionally then i bet the 5.0 would be a good canidate. If you want some extra power and torque and thinking about bigger tires etc and if you will be towing some what often then i say go for the Eb.

The number one complaint the V8 Fella's have with the Eb is the sound of the engine.. They want the big ol V8 rumble and the EB will not even come close to the sound of a 5.0.. But on the other end the turbo's whistling when accelerating is just as good.

The Eb's respond very well with tunes also if that is your cup of tea.

I have almost 50k miles on my 13 eb and the truck has been great.

Maybe a few others Like Dewser will drop in and give there expertise since they have owned both.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Caution - this question can open up a big can of worms. Every thread posted here before this has gotten out of hand.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:37 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Howdy OP, and

As glc stated, it's a bit of a touchy subject that has been covered here many, many times. Have you searched? Not being a "search ****" at all. There are a lot of opinions, facts, and information that have been shared that might prove helpful.

As ol' Coy stated, I've owned one of each. I had a '12 5.0 and now a '14 Ecoboost. Each truck was/is great. The 5.0 is very fun to drive, it sounds amazing, it has enough power to handle just about everything you can throw at it, it sounds amazing, it gets decent and consistent gas mileage, and it sounds amazing! Wait, did I mention that last part already?

Having said that, there are a few shortcomings with the 5.0 that I probably would've never known about if I hadn't traded it for the Ecoboost and a couple things I knew about before trading. I guess the number one negative is the fact that it's a peaky engine. In order to get into the wheelhouse of where the 5.0 really makes its best power, you have to get to around 4k rpms and up. That doesn't mean it doesn't make useful power and torque lower, it just means that where it really comes to life and wants to eat, so to speak.

Along the same vein, it down-shifts under certain circumstances where the Ecoboost doesn't. Granted, that can be helped with lower gearing (3.73 or lower), but gear ratio for gear ratio, the 5.0 will down-shift more.

Also, there are a couple of "flat-spots" in the power band. Between around 1700 and 2200 rpms, the 5.0 could feel a bit "laggy". Having said that, a proper custom tune certainly helped the lag, but it's definitely more substantial with the factory tune.

Those are pretty much all of the issues I personally had with the 5.0. Certainly, none of those issues were bad enough to keep me from enjoying the truck. I did, and like I said, it was adequate for my use.

Now, as for the Ecoboost, I honestly don't think I could be happier with the overall performance of this engine. The power/torque curve is much more even, and just holding the rpms at 2000-2200 rpms, the truck pulls and pulls and keeps pulling.

The amount of available torque at all reasonable rpms is staggering, but my favorite part of the Ecoboost is the torque starting at around 1700 rpms to about 3500 rpms. You don't have to wind it up to get it moving.

Really, I can't tell you how happy I am with the Ecoboost. If it tells you anything, I don't even miss the amazing sound of the 5.0 anymore.

All in all, they're both great engines, really. Each will do anything you need a half-ton truck to do. One just does it better than the other, and in my opinion based upon my personal experience so far, the Ecoboost handily holds the advantage in every category other than sound.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 PM
You got the real poop from the dewser..

I can only speak of the Eco and with the 3.73 gears, it's a tow monster..

Plus it's a hell of a lot of fun not towing.

I came from an 86 5.0 GT and a 97 F150 with a 5.4, so I was liking that V8 sound!

But, after a year of the Eco, I'm digging the sound it has when it's being worked.. It's quiet for sure.. But, when you are cruising up a 6% grade with a little #5000 TT behind you and pulling around 2700 rpms going an EASY 60 mph (4th gear), the sound is what I call a nice "growl" sound and the turbos whining... Is pretty cool to me now..

With the 97 F150 towing the same trailer, I was in 2nd gear, pulling around 4000 rpms to go 60 mph with not much left.. And it sounded good, but that's all you could hear..

Yes, completely different beasts, but all I can say is with the Eco, you'll get from 0-60 mph between 7-8 seconds in a stock, #5500+ truck....

Now that's fun!

Oh, I've got about 13,500 miles on it and getting over 17 mpg on my daily commute to work.. The old 97, I was lucky to get 14 mpg on the same commute..

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 02-24-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 PM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Howdy, Mitch! Thankee fer the endorsement, and I agree with yer assessment of the Ecoboost.

As a side note, 0-60 in a tuned Ecoboost is a lot closer to that 6 second mark. Much, much closer.

At least, that's what I've heard...

Old 02-24-2015, 11:53 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm not an Ecoboost fan. It takes a tremendous amount of technology that MUST work together or yer walking. The early models had lots of issues which seemingly have gone away. But YOU are the guy that has to maintain all of this technology once out of warranty. Lots of parts that can get expensive like 2 turbos and all of the sensors and related parts that go with it, for an example. Yeah, some are going to run forever with zero issues. But will the one you buy? It's a gamble as I see it. You also have the issues with carbon deposits that are now popping up in the EcoBoost engines. There is NO way as of yet to fix the carbon deposits in the intake side. Ford is working on it but how effective or expensive the fix is an unknown. We had, and I say apparently HAD, a Ford tech posting his vids here named makuloco. I'm not finding any of his vids or his name listed as a member anymore. Not sure what happened there but here's a vid concerning the EB engines and carbon deposits. For now, I'd avoid the EB engine. I'd stay with known technology and that means I would recommend the 5.0 just because it is far simpler and has far fewer parts to make it work.

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Labnerd
I'm not an Ecoboost fan. It takes a tremendous amount of technology that MUST work together or yer walking. The early models had lots of issues which seemingly have gone away. But YOU are the guy that has to maintain all of this technology once out of warranty. Lots of parts that can get expensive like 2 turbos and all of the sensors and related parts that go with it, for an example. Yeah, some are going to run forever with zero issues. But will the one you buy? It's a gamble as I see it. You also have the issues with carbon deposits that are now popping up in the EcoBoost engines. There is NO way as of yet to fix the carbon deposits in the intake side. Ford is working on it but how effective or expensive the fix is an unknown. We had, and I say apparently HAD, a Ford tech posting his vids here named makuloco. I'm not finding any of his vids or his name listed as a member anymore. Not sure what happened there but here's a vid concerning the EB engines and carbon deposits. For now, I'd avoid the EB engine. I'd stay with known technology and that means I would recommend the 5.0 just because it is far simpler and has far fewer parts to make it work.
makuloco2000, still a member.. Have some of his spark plug removal videos saved.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 AM
Labnerd is the man on this site and I have total respect for his posts.. I too have been watching FordTechMakuloco on the tube and all the other talk about the Eco and I first came on this site back in 2001 with my 97 F150 and thought I just bought the biggest POS on earth!

So many posts about all the issues with them...

Yet, I traded that 97 for the Eco with over 255,000 miles on it and none of those issues happened to me.. It was still running strong and I towed that TT since 2002 with it and shed a tear when I signed over the title on it..

So, the jury is still out on the Eco, sure.. Ford is pretty much betting the Farm on this whole Ecoboost platform, so if it's gonna fail, it's gonna fail in a big way..

I don't have a Crystal Ball, and I didn't buy any extended coverage on my Eco..

But, I think working an engine and taking care of it at the same time will go a long way.. Just as that ol' 5.4 did for me..

Life is a crap shoot too, so keep sucking air one day at a time and there you go..

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 02-25-2015, 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by 67fstbk
Well my 05 FX4 was totaled over the weekend and so now I'm in the market for a new truck. I've decided on a left over 2014 but not sure which engine to go with. I tried a forum search to try to get some input but thought this might be quicker and easier. I'm going with the 4X4 but will only be towing occasionally. Just looking for some input and experiences with both engines and if anyone has had any issues with one more than the other. Thanks for any input guys.
Find the truck you like with the options/packages you want. Test drive it, make a good deal and buy it. That's all...

If you like your Ford's, you'll like the new truck.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:18 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
We had, and I say apparently HAD, a Ford tech posting his vids here named makuloco. I'm not finding any of his vids or his name listed as a member anymore.
An advanced search shows 109 threads started by makuloco2000. It's all still here.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...need-know.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...st-owners.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/vi...-findings.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...placement.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/vi...ere-s-why.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/vi...ch-issues.html

Remember, the 5.0 is also pretty complicated - dual overhead cams, 4 valves per cylinder, and twin independent variable cam timing.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last edited by MGDfan; 03-06-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:06 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

*holding my tongue*

Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 AM
I too have owned them both and can offer some insight, but it really depends what you are looking for. Do you tow? If you tow, do you tow regularly? Fuel Economy, do you give a rat's a$$? How long do you plan to keep the truck? How much do you want to spend? Muted Turbo whistle or throaty V8?

I put roughly 21k miles on my '13 5.0L and roughly 32k on my '12 EB before I unloaded them. Loved the punch of the EB, but I also loved the exhaust note and power on tap with the 5.0L.

You could always look for a 6.2L.......

Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 AM
I love my 5.0. Lots of power. I came from a reg cab 08 with the 4.6l and loved it too. Find a truck you like with the options you want and buy it. both engines seem to have their issues as do all engines. Both will do light towing with no problems.

The 5.0 will sound better though. lol

Quick Reply: 5.0 vs eco-boost