2009 - 2014 F-150

Battery insulation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery insulation question

As part of this "polar vortex" deal, we've had some crazy low temps and in addition to a block heater, I bought a battery warmer blanket to keep battery temps up and provide more cranking amps for cold starts.

I installed it today but had to remove the factory battery insulation that came with the truck. Is there any harm in doing this? What's the point of that stock insulation anyways? Should I put it back in?

'13 Eco

Old 01-09-2014, 06:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
They put it on there to make it look nice and to make it impossible for the average consumer to be able to read the type of battery they need for their truck. I think it also holds it in there too.

I purposely took mine off to show off the crazy expensive DEKA Intimidator AGM battery that I purchased.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never had a good battery freeze and we get some pretty crappy weather here too. IMO the factory battery insulation does little to nothing to keep your battery warm and since I buy used just about every vehicle I have owned has had it removed anyway. You are better off with your aftermarket warmer. I just put in a really good battery, plug in the block heater or park in the garage when it gets below -19C and call it a day.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:55 AM
The point of the insulation on newer batteries is not cold but heat. The high temps and restricted air flow in modern engine compartments along with higher demand from all the electronics will reduce the life or even kill a battery quick, possibly even boil the electrolyte out.

For cold the electric battery blanket will keep it warm enough to give more cca, I'm not sure it will do much to protect from heat though so I'd keep the insulation and change the two over spring and fall.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are both from Canada where heat is generally not a problem.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM
So am I grizzstang, right next door to you on the flat part of the country

Trust me, come summer and highway driving it gets very hot under the hood of the newer vehicles with next to no airflow. Extreme heat is a bigger killer of batteries than extreme cold, like you I've never had a battery freeze even outside at -40, but I have had one end up with one cell boiled half dry from heat on a long drive.

Last edited by far-trader; 01-10-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:50 PM
I had the blanket on a couple of the batteries when I bought used cars. I actually dont trust them. The Crappy Tire one got really hot one day and I blamed it for the reason the battery ended up dying. Cooking it to death.

IMO you are better off with an inline coolant temp or an oil heater.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by far-trader
The point of the insulation on newer batteries is not cold but heat. The high temps and restricted air flow in modern engine compartments along with higher demand from all the electronics will reduce the life or even kill a battery quick, possibly even boil the electrolyte out.

For cold the electric battery blanket will keep it warm enough to give more cca, I'm not sure it will do much to protect from heat though so I'd keep the insulation and change the two over spring and fall.
DING DING DING!!!

We have the correct answer! Somebody buy that guy a cold beverage!

Quick Reply: Battery insulation question