2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Traction Control and Advance Trac almost Killed me today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by azmidget91
You're right fish tailing at 75 mph on an incline seems safe.
I wasnt doing 75 in the median! Boy we have alot of winner's in here. No wonder some of the old members have left this forum, im not far behind them.. With all the internet police know it all's

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 08-20-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Medians are not for driving...they are for putting distance between you and oncoming traffic.

Viner captures truck flying over guardrail. Whoa. - Vine - YouTube
Im not saying they are made for driving but they can sure be used for emergency situations.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I wasnt doing 75 in the median Genius! Boy we have alot of winner's in here. No wonder some of the old members have left this forum, im not far behind them.. With all the internet police know it all's
I can handle my truck in emergency situations,if i couldve got the truck to slide the rear end a little bit i couldve gotten out of the medain that had a incline. i dont like a system limiting me to do what the truck wants to do, Yes i couldve got really injured because the damn truck wouldnt take off.

Really Patrick? Your going to let a fully loaded 18 wheeler hit you at 75MPH? without trying to avoid the wreck? Im sorry but i value my life more than just saying ok hit me, maybe everything will be ok.

How did i put everyone else's life in danger by going into the median? That makes no damn since at all! What do you think the median is used for?

Who are you to say he would not have hit me? he ended up in the left lane while im running in the median tying not to cause a accident or get my self killed.

I started accelerating as soon as he started coming over, I ran up on the slow truck to quick and couldnt make the lane change, thats when i went off into the median, he damn near hooked me in my right rear corner of the bumper before i went to the left in the median.

I cant believe some of you people just say let a semi hit you and no telling how many more at 75mph... Not to smart... What i did made me NOT have a accident.. I dont think i did anything wrong..
I think alot of you guys are missing the point, it was not just one 18 wheeler.. It was a number of them in the left lane running close to the speed limit, then more in the right lane, if i would have gotten hit no telling where my truck would have went and no telling how many times i wouldve got hit
Hmmm

Yeah I am one of those old members, recently started posting more again, but I will be just going back to the street scene section.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:18 PM
TROLLSSS everywhereeeee! Love it

Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Hmmm

Yeah I am one of those old members, recently started posting more again, but I will be just going back to the street scene section.
Where did i say i was running 75 in the median? Everything you pointed out was what the other traffic around me was running.. And yes they were running 75, thats the legal speed limit on 90 percent of texas roads.. If i wouldve stayed in the left lane and got hit by the 18 wheeler which sounds like about half of yal would have done then yes he wouldve hit me going that fast.. I never said i hit the median that fast

Old 08-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Where did i say i was running 75 in the median?
Everybody who has been driving for very long has had close calls (and some have taken hits). We all know that. Hopefully, you won't have another like this one. Glad you are okay.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Ok, just saying to me something didn't add up. Glad no one got hurt.

Another good option would have been to stop in the median, instead of trying to still get in front of the semi that was trying to rear end you. We all do crazy things in panic situations.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I can't imagine letting an 18 wheeler hit me at highway speeds.
In teaching my kids (and wife) how to drive in the presence of 18-wheelers, I always tell them, paraphrasing an old John Wayne quote, "When you tangle with a big rig, whether it's your fault, his fault or somebody else's fault, he's gonna win!" (From the movie, Big Jake.)

Doug

Old 08-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plano-doug
In teaching my kids (and wife) how to drive in the presence of 18-wheelers, I always tell them, paraphrasing an old John Wayne quote, "When you tangle with a big rig, whether it's your fault, his fault or somebody else's fault, he's gonna win!" (From the movie, Big Jake.)

Doug

And the loser usually doesn't live to tangle again.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Ok, just saying to me something didn't add up. Glad no one got hurt.

Another good option would have been to stop in the median, instead of trying to still get in front of the semi that was trying to rear end you. We all do crazy things in panic situations.
I could've tried to stop but then I would've had to deal with the sob again along with his other buddies. still had 170 miles to go on the interstate.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I could've tried to stop but then I would've had to deal with the sob again along with his other buddies. still had 170 miles to go on the interstate.
Safety should always trump convenience - or pride.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Coy glad you are ok. Not a story I would post though for the obvious reasons.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm glad you're alright. I think most of us are just trying to understand exactly what happened

Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Patman
I think most of us are just trying to understand exactly what happened
5 trucks driving in left lane that never offered to move over for a good 5 miles, ahead of those 5 trucks was 3 more trucks in the right lane, I passed trucks that were in the left lane, came up on the trucks that were in the right lane, moved over to pass them. Truck came over while i was passing, almost hit me, went in the median, my f150 had a brain fart and then I had to clean my shorts out at the next rest area . Doesnt get much clearer than that

Micheal, i posted this to have a discussion on the way these systems limit our truck's and in my situation i dont think the truck handled itself right. Didnt mean for this to turn into how i put everyones life in danger and how i was in the wrong for trying to pass a convoy of truck's and my favorite i shouldve let the truck hit me..

Guess i will know next time..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 trucks driving in left lane that never offered to move over for a good 5 miles, ahead of those 5 trucks was 3 more trucks in the right lane, I passed trucks that were in the left lane, came up on the trucks that were in the right lane, moved over to pass them. Truck came over while i was passing, almost hit me, went in the median, my f150 had a brain fart and then I had to clean my shorts out at the next rest area . Doesnt get much clearer than that

Micheal, i posted this to have a discussion on the way these systems limit our truck's and in my situation i dont think the truck handled itself right. Didnt mean for this to turn into how i put everyones life in danger and how i was in the wrong for trying to pass a convoy of truck's and my favorite i shouldve let the truck hit me..

Guess i will know next time..
You should have just let them hit you, then we wouldn't all be here complaining about you! Well, you wouldn't be here...

All kidding aside, glad you made it out safely. Must've been a scary ride! I'm guessing your your truck isn't 4x4?

Quick Reply: Traction Control and Advance Trac almost Killed me today!