2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Traction Control and Advance Trac almost Killed me today!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Traction Control and Advance Trac almost Killed me today!

I was traveling down Interstate 20 which is 2 lanes east bound and west bound with a wire rope in the median, the center median slopes down on the east bound side and then slopes up on the west bound side..

So i was cruising down the interstate and came up on a convoy of 18 wheelers running in the left lane, No one was in the right lane, So i sped up in the right lane and passed all 5 trucks and started coming up on 3 more 18 wheelers in the right lane,So i gave my signal and moved to the left lane and got past 2 trucks, when i started to pass the 3rd truck i got to his drivers door and he started moving over into my lane.

I started blowing the horn and he kept coming over, I accelerated to pass him and came up on another slow moving semi, so i had to brake.. The sob kept coming at me and i had no choice but to drive off in the center median, The slower truck that was in the left lane saw what was happening and moved over, so i tried to accelerate while in the median(cause at this point i had the semi's that was running in the left lane coming up behind me real fast) and the damn traction control kept kicking on, flat out no power, I was able to hit the button to turn off the traction control hit the throttle again and the truck started to fish tail just a little bit and the damn advance trac kicked on again no power

I was finally able to get the truck to accelerate enough to get back into the lane ahead of the sob that ran me off the road.. Another 25 yards and i wouldve either ran into the bridge guardrail or the actual bridge or got rearended by more than one semi.

Would sure be nice to be able to have it off as a default setting then if the weather or something is bad be able to turn it on..

Old 08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, scary situation. I hate Big rigs when they take up the freeway.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Yea, I was hoping to find a dps trooper nearby after it happened, but of course I didn't see one.. I wanted to stop and pull that sob out of the truck so bad, but decided against it, especially not knowing how many buddies he had running there in that convoy.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Do you also have the electronic limited slip?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Glad you are alright Coy. I have been there several times on I-70 as I drive it everyday to and from my office. I was in a similar situation when I had my Accord, one of the many reasons to go back to a pick-up truck. I have seen some gnarly big rig wrecks on the interstate which have always motivated me to stay away from them!

Your truck has the 3.55 locker right?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
glad yer ok....

Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 AM
yea i have the 3.55 locker, i didnt think about trying to use it, but it wouldnt have helped since it only works under 25mph.

I Just think its stupid to have 2 different systems, atleast make it to where when you turn off traction control advance trac turns off also, instead of having to hit the button twice and the 2nd time hold it down for 5 seconds..

Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Gotta play devil's advocate here - you shouldn't have even gotten yourself into this situation. I would have been a lot more patient and waited for the convoy to move back over.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Gotta play devil's advocate here - you shouldn't have even gotten yourself into this situation. I would have been a lot more patient and waited for the convoy to move back over.
i followed them for 5 miles, They never offered to get in the right lane and it was totally clear, so thats when i passed them in the right lane, i also had plenty of room to move in front of them in the left lane when i came up on the other trucks in the right lane.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Glad you're ok. But, if you had the 5.0 you would never have lost traction.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluejay
glad you're ok. But, if you had the 5.0 you would never have lost traction.

Sent from my iphone using ib autogroup
^^b s

Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
I was traveling down Interstate 20 which is 2 lanes east bound and west bound with a wire rope in the median, the center median slopes down on the east bound side and then slopes up on the west bound side..

So i was cruising down the interstate and came up on a convoy of 18 wheelers running in the left lane, No one was in the right lane, So i sped up in the right lane and passed all 5 trucks and started coming up on 3 more 18 wheelers in the right lane,So i gave my signal and moved to the left lane and got past 2 trucks, when i started to pass the 3rd truck i got to his drivers door and he started moving over into my lane.

I started blowing the horn and he kept coming over, I accelerated to pass him and came up on another slow moving semi, so i had to brake.. The sob kept coming at me and i had no choice but to drive off in the center median, The slower truck that was in the left lane saw what was happening and moved over, so i tried to accelerate while in the median(cause at this point i had the semi's that was running in the left lane coming up behind me real fast) and the damn traction control kept kicking on, flat out no power, I was able to hit the button to turn off the traction control hit the throttle again and the truck started to fish tail just a little bit and the damn advance trac kicked on again no power

I was finally able to get the truck to accelerate enough to get back into the lane ahead of the sob that ran me off the road.. Another 25 yards and i wouldve either ran into the bridge guardrail or the actual bridge or got rearended by more than one semi.

Would sure be nice to be able to have it off as a default setting then if the weather or something is bad be able to turn it on..
He did it on purpose. More than once the same thing happened to me. Always a smart *** in the crowd. I would have got his truck info and reported it to his carrier.............He knew you were coming up on him, he was told by the by the first trucks that were passed by you........

Old 08-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Glad you're ok. But, if you had the 5.0 you would never have lost traction.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
He did it on purpose. More than once the same thing happened to me. Always a smart *** in the crowd. I would have got his truck info and reported it to his carrier.............He knew you were coming up on him, he was told by the by the first trucks that were passed by you........
I wouldve tried to get his info on the tractor but didnt want to get beside of him again.. If that makes since.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:19 AM
I remember when i was a young kid, we were going on vacation and my dad was driving, we were in a 86 mustang and a truck started coming over to the left lane going over a bridge, Dad moved over as far as he could and the truck kept coming over, he actually put the passenger side of the mustang under the trailer until we crossed the bridge, we were able to get the tractors info and reported him.. We stopped at the next rest area and a car pulled up and said i have never seen anything like that before

Old 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy

Sounds to me like the traction control saved your life, not "almost killed you"
Once you turned it off you started to fish tail... at those speeds if you had fully disabled it and then gone full throttle you would have surely gotten sideways and perhaps rolled it down the median.

No offense, but you got your truck into a situation that it could not handle. Those systems are there to keep your truck stable and driving straight.

And check your manual. There are ways of fully disabling the system - it involves holding the button for a 5 seconds. But even then, once you exceed 35 MPH the RSC and ESC kick back in to keep you safe.

The only way to shut it down at highway speeds would be to pull the fuse. But you'd have to be crazy to do that... you'd lose ABS, RSC, ESC, and TSC...

Quick Reply: Traction Control and Advance Trac almost Killed me today!