2009 - 2014 F-150

Traction Control and Advance Trac almost Killed me today!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's not so bad. You could've been this guy:

https://vine.co/v/hMLVA1emhej

Old 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM
I've seen truck drivers box someone in that pisses em off, definitely not people you want to mess with.

Although I was a victim of road rage once, was in my 2012 Crewmax Tundra and some jackass high school kid cuts me off in a turning lane in a Chevy Aveo and then decides to flip me off while at it. Let's just say, we turned the corner I got right beside him and swerved over into his lane for a split second....I think he had to change his pants and proceeded to slam on his brakes and wait until I was down the road a bit.

Last edited by prime81; 08-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by AndersonS
That's not so bad. You could've been this guy:

https://vine.co/v/hMLVA1emhej
Should'a bought a F150 Ecoboost... would have made it across and kept on going

Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Should'a bought a F150 Ecoboost... would have made it across and kept on going
Haha, I thought that too. Just a few more MPH...

Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
So what was so bad about letting him hit you? Sounds like it would have been less damage then wiping out or rolling in the median.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
So what was so bad about letting him hit you? Sounds like it would have been less damage then wiping out or rolling in the median.
I agree 100%, you put everyone else on the road in danger by pulling into the median. He was just trying to scare you, not kill you, himself and everyone else on the road, and risk his job even if nobody was hurt. He would not have hit you and if he did so what? from your side of the story you did nothing wrong so you must not have been driving that fast and a semi rear ending you would not have resulted nearly as bad as you pulling into the median in flipping your truck in front of 8 semi trucks.

Not to mention when you caught up to the slow truck you had time to pull into the median, realize your traction control kicked in, instinctively turned it off, fish tailed, advance trac kicked in, and finally got traction to speed off all before he was up to you...

Seems as if we are missing some of the story, or some of the truth is getting stretched here

Last edited by azmidget91; 08-20-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I would have moved over the first time and flashed my lights and hit the horn. If it was an accident on the truckers part he would take corrective actions. If he was doing this to scare/bully me and kept coming out I would hold my ground and let him hit me. The lawyers would have a field day with his actions.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I can't imagine letting an 18 wheeler hit me at highway speeds. Even if I had time to make the decision to do so, I doubt my brain would have allowed my body to follow through. I would instictively avoid contact.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I can't imagine letting an 18 wheeler hit me at highway speeds. Even if I had time to make the decision to do so, I doubt my brain would have allowed my body to follow through. I would instictively avoid contact.
Amen. I saw a Suburban type tangle with a big rig about three months ago. First look, all I could see was the hood/roof of the SUV as it was about to go over. Hit the guard rail (cables) next to the median, spun facing backwards, rode the rail at about 50 for nearly 100 yards before stopping, straddling the rail. Huge cloud of dirt/debris. Scared the holy living you-know-what outta me.

Don't know what caused it, but I know who "won".

Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
Sounds to me like the traction control saved your life, not "almost killed you"
Once you turned it off you started to fish tail... at those speeds if you had fully disabled it and then gone full throttle you would have surely gotten sideways and perhaps rolled it down the median.

No offense, but you got your truck into a situation that it could not handle. Those systems are there to keep your truck stable and driving straight.

And check your manual. There are ways of fully disabling the system - it involves holding the button for a 5 seconds. But even then, once you exceed 35 MPH the RSC and ESC kick back in to keep you safe.

The only way to shut it down at highway speeds would be to pull the fuse. But you'd have to be crazy to do that... you'd lose ABS, RSC, ESC, and TSC...
I can handle my truck in emergency situations,if i couldve got the truck to slide the rear end a little bit i couldve gotten out of the medain that had a incline. i dont like a system limiting me to do what the truck wants to do, Yes i couldve got really injured because the damn truck wouldnt take off.

Really Patrick? Your going to let a fully loaded 18 wheeler hit you at 75MPH? without trying to avoid the wreck? Im sorry but i value my life more than just saying ok hit me, maybe everything will be ok.

Originally Posted by azmidget91
I agree 100%, you put everyone else on the road in danger by pulling into the median. He was just trying to scare you, not kill you, himself and everyone else on the road, and risk his job even if nobody was hurt. He would not have hit you and if he did so what? from your side of the story you did nothing wrong so you must not have been driving that fast and a semi rear ending you would not have resulted nearly as bad as you pulling into the median in flipping your truck in front of 8 semi trucks.

Not to mention when you caught up to the slow truck you had time to pull into the median, realize your traction control kicked in, instinctively turned it off, fish tailed, advance trac kicked in, and finally got traction to speed off all before he was up to you...

Seems as if we are missing some of the story, or some of the truth is getting stretched here
How did i put everyone else's life in danger by going into the median? That makes no damn since at all! What do you think the median is used for?

Who are you to say he would not have hit me? he ended up in the left lane while im running in the median tying not to cause a accident or get my self killed.

I started accelerating as soon as he started coming over, I ran up on the slow truck to quick and couldnt make the lane change, thats when i went off into the median, he damn near hooked me in my right rear corner of the bumper before i went to the left in the median.

I cant believe some of you people just say let a semi hit you and no telling how many more at 75mph... Not to smart... What i did made me NOT have a accident.. I dont think i did anything wrong..

Last edited by KingRanchCoy; 08-20-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 PM
I think alot of you guys are missing the point, it was not just one 18 wheeler.. It was a number of them in the left lane running close to the speed limit, then more in the right lane, if i would have gotten hit no telling where my truck would have went and no telling how many times i wouldve got hit

Old 08-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Avoiding contact is far better than a semi hitting you. As for the truck limiting what you can do it is there for your safety, it's not just limiting the truck there is alot of technology working together and monitoring things to keep the truck from getting out of control. I agree the limiting could make it seem like it puts you in danger as I've had the same thoughts, but when you sit down and think about it later things could have always turned out worse. Your safe, your truck survived and kept you safe.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 PM
You're right fish tailing at 75 mph on an incline seems safe.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by prime81
Avoiding contact is far better than a semi hitting you. As for the truck limiting what you can do it is there for your safety, it's not just limiting the truck there is alot of technology working together and monitoring things to keep the truck from getting out of control. I agree the limiting could make it seem like it puts you in danger as I've had the same thoughts, but when you sit down and think about it later things could have always turned out worse. Your safe, your truck survived and kept you safe.
, I understand what its for just seemed like in my situtaion it made it worse.. Ive always thought of it being more for icy weather and rain slick roads and not getting out of a jam,

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Medians are not for driving...they are for putting distance between you and oncoming traffic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traction Control and Advance Trac almost Killed me today!