2009 - 2014 F-150

Ordered 7" Video-Radio-GPS "oem look"

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's some good feedback, thank you.

So where can I look for the OEM reverse wire to splice into?

I want to supply the 12V directly from the fuse panel using the #41 outlet. Got this from another thread where the guy replace the original fuse at this location with an aftermarket double fuse with a wire connect to it. This allowed him to simply tie into this auxiliary wire for a power source for his HU and it functioned as the original did with a 10 minute delay after ignition key was turned off or when a door was opened.

I found the same double fuse online but it says 10 amp max for each of the 2 separate fuses yet the #41fuse in the panel is 15 amps. Would this cause any potential issues?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Formula jg
The seller is telling me it supports Ford Sync but does not support XM Sirius radio.

I have a Sirius radio plan and my intention is on keeping it, would hate to not have it available in the truck. Any one have any suggestions on how I could set up another satellite radio without it being an eye sore on the dash? I'm not familiar with the radios out there that can support Sirius if someone can point me the the direction.

Could the stock Ford sat antenna on the roof be used to connect to an aftermarket sat radio?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I was very excited about this product until you said it does not support XM Sirius radio.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Here is the link to the double fuse I was talking about:

http://www.tsisecuritycorp.com/TSI_U...s_ATO_ATC.html

Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM
shortride,
I know exactly how you feel but I figured if the product delivers what it claims then I won't miss Sirius that much.

I am resourcing different aftermarket sat radios that can be installed without hanging it from the glass or the bottom of the dash.

Ideally if there was a radio that could fit behind the dash or under the seat and it had a separate screen that could be mounted somewhere within reach and didn't look to out of place.... anyway I'm still checking what's available.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
http://www.f150forum.com/f30/2010-re...ocation-95202/

This should help with reverse wire location.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Together we shall get this done, thanks RES4CUE.

Shortride,
If all else fails I may end up going with this for a sat radio:

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...vers/snap.html

It says XM but I presume its good for Sirius-XM.

Last edited by Formula jg; 10-25-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 PM
More q's.

1. In my pic of the rear of this unit (post #41) I am holding 2 round female type jacks. The smaller one has a prong (wording?) in the center and the larger one doesn't. Is one of these for radio antenna? If so, whats the other for?

2. Amongst the 5 small gauge colour wires I listed earlier there's this brown one labelled 'TV-Cont'. Any ideas what this is for or where it gets spliced to?

3. Why the white Ipod cable (which plug into rear of unit via this odd looking plug) and not one but two USB connectors on 30" cables that also come out the rear of the unit???? What the heck would I use all these connections for?
Not to mention I have the OEM USB/Aux inputs which I don't whether they will continue to function?

Last edited by Formula jg; 10-25-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
1.one would be the radio antenna not sure about the other it mite be for the factory aux jack near the usb.
2. it's probably the wire that sends the signal to external monitors to tell them to turn on or for the tv box. is it a button or a wire hook up were is says on/off on the box can't tell from the pic.
3. so you have a dedicated hook up for the i pod. the one usb will be for the factor usb hook up in the dash and the other can be use for an external hard drive.

Last edited by Captain Awesome; 10-25-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:51 PM
Captian,

2. The on/off on the digital tv tuner box is a button.
This tuner box comes with two options for power supply.
a. Use the supplied cable that plugs into a cigarette lighter on one end and the other end into the DC+12V on the box or
b. Use the supplied cable for direct power that plugs one end into the DC+12V on the box and the other end would be black to ground and red to the brown "TV-CONT"????? What do you think?

3. I haven't pulled the original face plate off to see how the OEM USB is wired but if I understand you correctly I can unplug the factory USB and insert one of the two supplied USB plugs in its place?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 PM
So I have to ask... are you disabling the sync system?

Any chance you'd want to sell it for cheap? I'd like a sync box to hack around with....

Thanks,
Jon

Old 10-26-2011, 12:15 AM
ok. well then i would be leaning towards the tv cont to power the tv tuner so that way it will only power up the unit when you need it. i would install the head unit then test the tv cont wire with a volt meter to see what it does when you power it up and switch to watch tv.
as for the usb cable the factory cable will not hook up to your new unit you will need a different one. i can't tell you what one you'll need as i haven't had a look at the factory set up yet. like i said before you can do lots of planning but some of these you'll have to solve on the fly as you'r installing the unit and finding out what works and what doesn't.but you got a pretty good head start.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 AM
jon,
I am not disabling Sync apparently this unit will support it (we'll see if it does in the end).

Captain,
I managed to contact the seller via email and he confirmed that the brown 'TV-Cont' is not required and should just be taped off. Keep in mind there is a bit of a language barrier so hopefully he understood what I was asking.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Looks like the language barrier has caused some confusion. Previously I asked if the OEM mic in the headliner can be used in lieu of the one supplied with this multimedia/nav system and I understood it could be he is now saying I need to use the mic supplied.

I really don't want this black, bulky aftermarket mic hanging off the visor so here is what I want to try:

a. locate oem mic wires behind the dash (not sure if they even run behind the dash)
b. cut oem wire
c. cut aftermarket mic wire
d. graft the oem wires with the aftermarket wires
e. plug male end of aftermarket mic wire into new head unit

Am I on the right track or out to lunch with this plan?

If this might work how do I remove the overhead storage/light/power rear window/power sunroof assembly?

Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 PM
I removed the stock HU to get a feel for what I'm dealing with and found there is an extra pin connection in the aftermarket unit vs the factory unit (see my pics below).

Also, I'm still trying to find out if the oem headliner mic wires come down the window pillar and are somewhere behind the factory radio. I'd like to splice into them with the wires from the aftermarket unit and just plug the male jack right into the female end in the back of the new unit. This will keep things looking a little more factory like.

OEM unit is on top. The white pin connection on the far left is for the harness that came with aftermarket unit. It has 12v supply, reverse wire, gnd, A/V input for TV, backup camera RCA input and 2 extra RCA video outputs.

This is a closer shot and you can see there 3 separate pin connections in the aftermarket and only 2 pin conections in the OEM. Anyone have a suggestion what the extra pin connections could be for cause I don't.

Just a shout of the factory wiring I'm trying to figure out.

Last edited by Formula jg; 10-30-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Don't quote me on this; but it looks like it might be for the DSP, if you had a Sony system. I am taking my truck to the dealer later, maybe they will let me check out a wiring manual. (They should... I used to work there)

Quick Reply: Ordered 7" Video-Radio-GPS "oem look"