2009 - 2014 F-150

New Ecoboost Fuel Economy = Awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1depd
That is a viable option, but just remember the 4.6l engine is not predecessor of the ecoboost. The 5.4l is. Your comment makes about as much sense as someone saying they are going to keep their Ranger for the better fuel mileage. Absolutely it has better economy, but it also comes at the price of not having the abilities of the ecoboost.

Edited to add: I been able to spin the tire going straight on dry pavement at about 25-30mph.
So you're saying that some people buy the EB so they can spin the tires and feel special? So if the fuel mileage sucks and you don't have anything to tow with the truck, then the only reason to buy an EB is to haul butt around town spinning tires and looking like a fool? I guess I'll never buy an EB because I don't drive around in a full size truck looking for a race, fuel mileage is hardly better than my 5.4L, and I don't have a trailer to tow. Your comment doesn't make anymore sense than the other guy.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I think he was just saying the truck has a lot of capability that spans from great gas mileage to tire melting power if you want it.... And I kind of understand his comment about the Ranger too, he is just talking about opportunity costs.

I will remark that the 5.4L in my SCAB was an absolute dog compared to my EB. And my EB has been consistently getting 20mpg for the past few weeks.... For me a 20-30% fuel efficiency increase is substantial with gas prices around 3.85 qallon.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by bansheerider
So you're saying that some people buy the EB so they can spin the tires and feel special? So if the fuel mileage sucks and you don't have anything to tow with the truck, then the only reason to buy an EB is to haul butt around town spinning tires and looking like a fool? I guess I'll never buy an EB because I don't drive around in a full size truck looking for a race, fuel mileage is hardly better than my 5.4L, and I don't have a trailer to tow. Your comment doesn't make anymore sense than the other guy.
Nope that's not what I'm saying at all. Every time I have spun it was an accident. I don't do it now that I am more aware of the abilities of my truck. What I am saying is the 4.6l engine was not replaced by the 3.5l engine, so declaring they are going to keep the smaller engine so they can have slightly better economy (actually less than what I get when I baby it) makes no sense. All it means is he is not in the market for a new truck (especially with the 3.5l). He could just as easily get the 3.7l engine and get better fuel mileage than his 4.6l and probably about the same performance. Before buying my F-150, I drove the 4.6l. The performance differences are night and day.

When I baby my truck and try to get the best fuel mileage I can, I sit right at 21-22 mpg, but that is not much fun.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Does anyone have taller tires on their 4x4 ecoboost? I was thinking about getting a 4x4 and putting a level and 34" tires on.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by bansheerider
EB is getting what Ford advertised for MPG, people have some mythical idea that EB was supposed to get 20mpg all the time, NO that is just HWY. So many people on here say Im upset i only get 15mpg well guess what thats what was advertised.

I am a beleiver of the EB but when you buy the EB you are buying capability, no other Ford F150 has that capability. If you dont want or need it, dont buy it. If I didnt have a 9000lb plus boat I would have the 5.0. Great engine the 5.0 but the facts are its output in HP and Torque is lower, that is fact sorry if that hurts people feelings. But the same goes for a diesel it has more HP and Torque than an EB, which is fine. You buy a truck for its capability if your the guy that buys it just to get grociers or to be cool, fine I guess.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by nards444
EB is getting what Ford advertised for MPG, people have some mythical idea that EB was supposed to get 20mpg all the time, NO that is just HWY. So many people on here say Im upset i only get 15mpg well guess what thats what was advertised.

I am a beleiver of the EB but when you buy the EB you are buying capability, no other Ford F150 has that capability. If you dont want or need it, dont buy it. If I didnt have a 9000lb plus boat I would have the 5.0. Great engine the 5.0 but the facts are its output in HP and Torque is lower, that is fact sorry if that hurts people feelings. But the same goes for a diesel it has more HP and Torque than an EB, which is fine. You buy a truck for its capability if your the guy that buys it just to get grociers or to be cool, fine I guess.
I bought it to be cool and to try something different. Hahaha I didn't need the EcoBoost, but the slightly better gas mileage made sense as mine is a pavement pounder and I pull around a small trailer (around 2500 lbs) occasionally. I also put groceries in mine too.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
I just purchased a STX 5.0 with 4X4, 3.55 and 18" wheels. Here is my mpg after 10 miles at 65 mph with cruise control on. My 2005 5.4 never got more than 19 mpg. I did not buy a EB because I fear what it might cost to repair down the road.

Last edited by Silverfish; 04-24-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by 99and04f150
I bought it to be cool and to try something different. Hahaha I didn't need the EcoBoost, but the slightly better gas mileage made sense as mine is a pavement pounder and I pull around a small trailer (around 2500 lbs) occasionally. I also put groceries in mine too.
Lol

Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Hydro1, I'll make you feel a little better. I've got a 2012, 4X4, 3.73's, live and drive between 4500-6200 elevation and average 16-16.5. 50/50 on city/highway driving. It'll climb to 18 or so when on the freeway but that's about it. Haven't had the chance yet for a long haul on the freeway? I did tow my trailer/polaris razor and was impressed, 15.5 on the trip. I'm at 3,500 miles. So, still better than my 2004 5.4 but not like what I'm hearing from others. I think the 4X4 and lower gears makes a big difference?? But I need the 4-wheel for what I do/play and wanted the gears for towing, give a little, lose a little. Still a nice ride.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM
^ right on hellbnt. My Vegas trip is 2 days away. This will be my longest road trip yet for the 2011 (330 miles). I upped my tire pressure to 40 psi and will keep an average of 75mph. We'll see what she does. I'll lower the pressure back to 36psi when I get home. I'm expecting 15-16 mpg round trip at that speed.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by hellbnt4lther
Hydro1, I'll make you feel a little better. I've got a 2012, 4X4, 3.73's, live and drive between 4500-6200 elevation and average 16-16.5. 50/50 on city/highway driving. It'll climb to 18 or so when on the freeway but that's about it. Haven't had the chance yet for a long haul on the freeway? I did tow my trailer/polaris razor and was impressed, 15.5 on the trip. I'm at 3,500 miles. So, still better than my 2004 5.4 but not like what I'm hearing from others. I think the 4X4 and lower gears makes a big difference?? But I need the 4-wheel for what I do/play and wanted the gears for towing, give a little, lose a little. Still a nice ride.
I have the same setup as you and I'm seeing similar numbers. I live in a very mountainous region and so I wonder if the lower-speed rear end actually is beneficial to my MPGs. I can't leave my house without going up steep hills.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Good to hear all the great EB mileage/power stories.. I'm towing an Airstream and I need to upgrade from my Explorer soon... just trying to see if I can find a model I like on the lot...if not ordering in the next couple of weeks!

Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
^ right on hellbnt. My Vegas trip is 2 days away. This will be my longest road trip yet for the 2011 (330 miles). I upped my tire pressure to 40 psi and will keep an average of 75mph. We'll see what she does. I'll lower the pressure back to 36psi when I get home. I'm expecting 15-16 mpg round trip at that speed.
Well we're back. The truck did freaking..... AWESOME!!!!
Going up with some pretty unstable weather got 18.6 mpg. Went 286 miles, 30 min of rain, 20-30 mph wind varying directions, but a good tailwind for 100 miles & going 75-78 mph.
Going home with Nevada gas, not the crappy ultra clean burning Cali gas, we got 19.4 mpg, very mild weather (80 degrees hardly any wind same miles driven) going 75-80mph the whole time . My conclusion is that she likes long road trips and our stupid California gas is even crappier in mileage than I thought.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TigerFan23
Does anyone have taller tires on their 4x4 ecoboost? I was thinking about getting a 4x4 and putting a level and 34" tires on.
I have that set-up.

34 inch tires, level kit and blocks in the back.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Smile ranger

Originally Posted by 1depd
That is a viable option, but just remember the 4.6l engine is not predecessor of the ecoboost. The 5.4l is. Your comment makes about as much sense as someone saying they are going to keep their Ranger for the better fuel mileage. Absolutely it has better economy, but it also comes at the price of not having the abilities of the ecoboost.

Edited to add: I been able to spin the tire going straight on dry pavement at about 25-30mph.
I had a 6 cylinder 4 liter 2010 Ranger 4x4. Reason I traded it on for an Ecoboost
f150 was the bad mileage the Ranger was getting. Thing was only getting 16-18 US mpg highway and that's driving it like grandma. Driving in town it barely would get 237 miles on a full tank (18.5 US Gallons) which is 12-13 mpg. My Ecoboost gets 18 - 19 in town (20" wheels-3.55 rears). I love the highway mileage and yes I drive 63 mph for testing the mileage and got as high as 24.5 mpg us (thats 30 mpg canadian).http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...cons/icon7.gif

Quick Reply: New Ecoboost Fuel Economy = Awesome!