2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ecoboost exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
The EcoBoost technology/engine combo has yet to be proven in the real world consumer market! Don't even talk about other platforms that its already been in like the Taurus SHO/Lincoln MKS Etc. The F-150 is a far different platform than those vehicles & what its used for. When I see one with 200K miles of real world use & abuse maybe I'll consider getting one! Till then the V8's being the 5.0,5.4,6.2 are my choice period!...........
The 5.4s don't have the greatest history.There have been several that have gone 200k miles + with no problems but there have many that have had spark plug and cam phaser issues way before that.A lot of 2 valves spit out spark plugs and a lot of 3 valves had broken plugs during removal which was expensive for people who didn't DIY.A guy I work with had to go rescue his wife the other day (2 hours away) because her 03 expedition spit out a plug.It cost him almost $800 for a nearby dealership to put a helicoil type insert in the head to fix it. The 5.0s and 6.2s don't have any more history than the Ecoboost so how do you know about their reliability?

Last edited by NASSTY; 06-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hydro1
^ don't take it too far out of contex . I was just stating there are wonderful and bad *** motors that aren't rumbling V8's. Heck I have a 06 YFZ450 that most 2 strokers couldn't stand, but now it's accepted. I think the same will happen for the EB. Yeah, it's not a grumbly "truck" sound. Soon everybody will recognize that sound and associate it with a sleeper.. a la Buick GN
in 2006 4 strokes had been long accepted in the competitive mx world. your making it sound like 4 stroke was still considered absolute crap then which is not even near true.
the reason 4 stroke race bikes weren't accepted up until the late 90's and early 2000's was because no real 4 stroke race bike had been offered up until the yz400f first came out and it proved itself quickly. hell, wasn't 2006 the first year for the classes to go from 125 to lites and 250 to just the main class.

the ecoboost doesn't have the note, when it comes down to it all it is is a v6 truck. they have been available and exhaust is not accepted for a reason. sure the turbo adds some character but it still sounds like a v6.

i have never said the ecoboost is a bad motor or what not, but a v6 will not sound good with a noisy muffler like that white lariat. only potential way i can see it shocking me is with a cat and muffler delete and being loud as hell.

Originally Posted by NASSTY
The 5.0s and 6.2s don't have any more history than the Ecoboost so how do you know about their reliability?
very true. the reason i chose the 5.0 over the ecoboost was turbo lag and i figured 5.0 is simple so less crap to go wrong. just didn't want to get right out of warranty and have a turbo issue or something that is costly to fix. also most shade tree mechanics are going to have more issues fixing the ecoboost over the 5.0 just due to more complex system being used.

Last edited by 06yz250f; 06-17-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Drdudsads

Last edited by Drdudsads; 06-21-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Drdudsads

Old 06-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Originally Posted by Desert Racer
A GN is a legend
Yes it is.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by blu3expy
The ecoboost is sweet, Why would you get the 6.2 if its close to the numbers of the EB but the EB gets better mileage? IDK I guess its all about preferences. I appreciate all engine sizes/configurations!
It's all a matter of the ecoboost proving itself. Many people will choose the 6.2 over the ecoboost cause they are skeptical of how reliable this motor will be in the long run pulling a heavy load, some will also prefer the v8 for it's throatier exhaust note. Me, I think the ecoboost is pretty cool and would buy one in a heartbeat. I have been surprised at how well the ecoboost has been selling also, I thought it would take at least a year for it to gain popularity and outsell the v8's.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:36 AM
"You'll really hate the sound when one works you from a red light race, passing lanes on the freeway, tows better/quicker than you "

Highly doubt it, try again to boost your ego.

So show me where a 5.0L or 6.2L run mid to high 14's consistently. Can you also explain the EB video's of it out towing and working a 390hp Hemi? Sorry , but the 5.0 is outmatched to a Hemi. The EB beats it outright. I have not seen a true 6.2L vs. EB shoot-out yet, but by seeing youtube clips of EB's beating Lariat 6.2's I'm a believer. So, tell me again how I'm boosting my ego by stating facts (plus, I don't own one yet) and how can you doubt it by seeing it first hand

Last edited by hydro1; 06-18-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NASSTY
The 5.4s don't have the greatest history.There have been several that have gone 200k miles + with no problems but there have many that have had spark plug and cam phaser issues way before that.A lot of 2 valves spit out spark plugs and a lot of 3 valves had broken plugs during removal which was expensive for people who didn't DIY.A guy I work with had to go rescue his wife the other day (2 hours away) because her 03 expedition spit out a plug.It cost him almost $800 for a nearby dealership to put a helicoil type insert in the head to fix it. The 5.0s and 6.2s don't have any more history than the Ecoboost so how do you know about their reliability?
5.4's whether 2v or 3v versions are well proven engines period! Yes they are not perfect as no motor is! But they are proven! Most 3v phaser problems are from lack of proper use of oil viscosity ie. 5W-20 weight, or proper oil filter ie. FL-820-S MotorCraft! Mine at 46K miles is smooth as silk & very quiet, even after sitting for a whole month idle upon startup in winter! The plugs are basically a non issue since the onset of the proper removal tools & procedure & patience removing them. Many people here have well north of 200K miles on the 3 valve motors! And as far as the 2v 5.4? Just check out www.millionmilevan.com ! Case closed as I would luv to see an Ecoboost match that!!! LOL......

Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 AM
5.4's whether 2v or 3v versions are well proven engines period! Yes they are not perfect as no motor is! But they are proven! Most 3v phaser problems are from lack of proper use of oil viscosity ie. 5W-20 weight, or proper oil filter ie. FL-820-S MotorCraft! Mine at 46K miles is smooth as silk & very quiet, even after sitting for a whole month idle upon startup in winter! The plugs are basically a non issue since the onset of the proper removal tools & procedure & patience removing them. Many people here have well north of 200K miles on the 3 valve motors! And as far as the 2v 5.4? Just check out www.millionmilevan.com ! Case closed as I would luv to see an Ecoboost match that!!! LOL......
I didn't mean to say that the 5.4 was a bad engine.I never had any problems with mine and I know lots of people who haven't.I was just saying that many 5.4s did have issues (2v and 3v) and they usually weren't cheap fixes.I forgot to mention the fuel injector/sometimes hydrolock problem some 05's had.

The plugs are basically a non issue since the onset of the proper removal tools & procedure & patience removing them.
They might be a non issue now.They weren't 5 or 6 years ago when some people had about $1k into a plug change. As my friend from work found out the other day some 2v's are still spitting plugs out.
Again, I agree with you that overall they are proven and I wouldn't rule out the possibillity of owning another.But lots of them did have their issues.Just saying if you were unfortunate enough to have one of those expensive issues you might not be praising the 5.4 in every other thread.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hater? I am just sick and tired of people who own a EB think they are king **** and can tow anything they want or "think" the can beat anything they want. Really gets annoying quick, it is a 1/2 ton for crying out loud! Yes it is a different step in another direction and performs great, yet it is not a rocket machine or a one ton truck.
You did step into at thread clearly labeled "Ecoboost exhaust". If you are tired of hearing about it why did you click on the link? To me is seems pretty obvious people will be talking about the EB in a thread with that title. What is really annoying is when a small but vocal few make it a point to come into a thread like this and flap their gums.

The EB will not be roughing up a Lambo or GT500 up in a straight but they will take any other stock truck on the market today. Guys are running mid 14s in stock, crew cab 4x4s. What's not to like about that other than it sounds like a really quiet V6?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Drdudsads

Old 06-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Does the EB have forged internals?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:48 PM
The EcoBoost technology/engine combo has yet to be proven in the real world consumer market! Don't even talk about other platforms that its already been in like the Taurus SHO/Lincoln MKS Etc. The F-150 is a far different platform than those vehicles & what its used for. When I see one with 200K miles of real world use & abuse maybe I'll consider getting one! Till then the V8's being the 5.0,5.4,6.2 are my choice period!...........
I never talked about other platforms, Im just saying why not get the engine that gets better mpg? If you have the money to pay for the drinking habbits the 6.2 will bring about then get one. that EB torture test ford did...only about 40,000 miles off of 200,000 I think? seemed to be doing just fine!

Old 06-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by blu3expy
Does the EB have forged internals?
Yes

Old 06-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I have yet to have a ecoboost beat me in my 8,000lb dodge on 35's. :
Let me guess, a highly modified diesel because I know for a fact they are very high 15 to low 16 sec trucks stock. Things really got ugly when the DPF's debuted for Cummins. If you have the 5.9L, power and potential are endless

Quick Reply: Ecoboost exhaust