2009 - 2014 F-150

Painting Platinum grille shell to match...

Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting Platinum grille shell to match...

This is something I knew I wanted to do before I even bought the truck. But, since I bought it I've been busy and finally got around to stopping by the body shop to get an estimate. This evening I pulled the grille and I'll drop it off tomorrow to get sprayed. It will be ready Thursday to get picked up. I read all the threads about removing the grille and kudos to those who were able to pull it without breaking any of the five tabs...I broke every single one!!!

Truck without grille:

Grille off the truck:

I'll post up pics after it is painted and installed. For now I told the body shop to just paint the surround and not the upper and lower inserts. Eventually I'll install Carriage Works horizontal billet inserts.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Just my 2 cents........if your gonna install inserts, you might wanna have them paint the whole grill so the silver grill doesnt showup behind the billet.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Toddman_29
Just my 2 cents........if your gonna install inserts, you might wanna have them paint the whole grill so the silver grill doesnt showup behind the billet.
Actually, the silver factory inserts are removable. If they weren't I'd definitely take your advice.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Aw thats nice! Not sure if I like your truck or your Shelby more, very jealous

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
hurry the frack up

Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
What are they charging you if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Gir
I'm surprised you have a Shelby considering the cops in VA. Looking forward to the end product, I'm sorta regretting the chrome package.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM
A co-worker of mine has done the same thing with his white Platinum. The surround and the middle bar around the emblem was all painted white while the upper and lower parts of the actual grill where painted black. It looks real slick. You should have them pant the middle bar of the grille around the emblem black also, it flows well with the surround!

Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by hagan525
What are they charging you if you don't mind me asking?
A local independent body shop is charging me $200. I was going to have the stealership do the work, but they wanted about $100 more.

Originally Posted by Gir
I'm surprised you have a Shelby considering the cops in VA. Looking forward to the end product, I'm sorta regretting the chrome package.
I've owned Cobras, Saleens and now my Shelby all here in Virginia and for the most part I don't have any problems with the cops. Then again, I don't really get crazy on the streets with any of my vehicles. I get pulled constantly more for my dark tinted windows on all my vehicles. I got pulled in my old F250 because the state trooper thought I exceeded the lift/height limit. I was under the limit so he snagged me for the window tint.

Originally Posted by BGF150
A co-worker of mine has done the same thing with his white Platinum. The surround and the middle bar around the emblem was all painted white while the upper and lower parts of the actual grill where painted black. It looks real slick. You should have them pant the middle bar of the grille around the emblem black also, it flows well with the surround!
Yep, they are definitely painting the middle bar tuxedo black to match the truck. What I really wanted was to buy a Raptor hood and grille and fill in the ugly FORD middle bar and go with something like this (sorry, this is MS Paint quality)...

But, what I'm doing is a much cheaper alternative. I think the front end of our trucks look much better with the hood line even with the upper part of the headlights like the Raptors have. I really wish Ford would have went with this design idea on some other trim levels for their F150's.

I dropped the grille off at the body shop this morning and they said it'll be ready tomorrow afternoon. I'll have more pictures then.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
...cant...take...the...waiting...so...miserable...

Old 05-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Alrighty, the grille was ready first thing this morning and I just got done putting it back on the truck. Turned out much better than I expected!

Freshly painted-to-match (PTM) grille...

Without grille...

Installed pictures...

Now I can't wait to buy the Carriage Works horizontal billet inserts!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Damn! That looks great!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop
Damn! That looks great!
Thanks! Now I need to either tint my headlights or get a pair of black aftermarket projectors. I'm leaning toward these from Stage 3 Motorsports...

Stage 3 Motorsports Matrix Lighting Black Projector H/L 09-11 F150

Old 05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
That looks really really good!!! I like.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Dang That looks awesome thanks for making me want to do it now! Goodbye Chrome hello PTM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Painting Platinum grille shell to match...