2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking about a 3.7 V6 F150? I've got one.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of fuel economy people are expecting to see out of the 3.7. So far my truck is getting about what I'd expect. I'd guess that it's going to get slightly better once "broken in". It's also winter so when the better weather, and better fuel are here I expect that'll help too.

Over time I will track my fuel economy the old fashon way. I haven't had to add fuel yet though. I'll be driving more when the better weather is here, provided fuel prices don't go up so much that it would make more sense to travel in my wifes 2.5 Mazda 3 hatch. It's going to take me a little while before I can have enough fuel economy figures to shaow anything. So far all I can do is look at the readout in my insterment cluster.

I'm pretty happy with the truck. The Edge was a much smoother ride, and I have to admit it's taking me a little time to get used to the rigid ride of a truck. Really though, I think that I was ment to drive a truck.

I guess I should drive a couple different F150's to gauge how the 3.7 is compared to say the 5.0. I will try to do that. I know that the 5.0 is a much more powerful engine and know that I'd prefer it. The 3.7 seems to be a pretty good compromise.

Sorry, I still haven't driven the truck much. I think there's 320mi on the ODO. I've burned through just over a quarter tank of fuel. Hopefully soon I'll have more to say.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Old school math=18.1mpg. I think that's pretty good so far, considering it is winter.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I averaged 17.88 mpg combined driving on my third tank of Shell 87 octane (E10) gas. Hopefully your mileage will improve.

My son has a 3.7L 'Stang and he has gotten a best of 35 mpg at 70 mph using old school math and running Conoco 87 octane.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:50 PM
About 805mi on the ODO. Had to fill up today. It's only my second fill up. This time the old school math tells me 19.28mpg. The readout on the dash said 19.0. This is with mixed driving. I've been trying very hard to restrain myself so that I can see what kind of mpg's I'm going to be able to get. It's hard to resist getting on it every now and then.

I'm thinking that when it warms up, and also as a result of the LineX bed cover I installed today, I'll be something like 20mpg with mixed driving. I'm really hoping that I can get 24mpg on highway trips.

I've got to say, so far I haven't been in a situation where I felt I didn't have enough power, granted I haven't driven it much. You don't have an entire powerband like you do with a V8, but with these V6's you just have to put the pedal to the floor. It'll move out. The Edge did it well and this F150 seems to have as much get up and go.

I read about what others here are driving and how they like the 5.0. I sometimes wish I'd got the 5.0 but I think it would be hard to find around here in a reg cab 4X4 config. Not to mention the price signs at the gas stations around here are changing like our odometers at 75mph. Looks like $4gal gas is pretty likely. 2 or 3 mpg might make a difference per tank.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Not too shabby man! Those are good numbers

Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
1025mi on the ODO today. Added fuel for the third time. Haven't filled it all the way up yet, as I haven't run the tank down yet. Down a bit from last time at 18.58 old school math and 18.6 by the onboard display. It's looking like the onboard display is pretty close to the old school math most of the time.

I'm getting more used to the truck, and might be a little less "fragile" with the throttle. Still trying to take it easy though. It's still feeling like it's got good power. I'm getting used to the sound of the engine. It actually sounds nice cruising at 2k rpm.

One thing that is taking me a while to get used to is the steering. I don't know if any other 2011 owners with the electric assist steering are going through this too. It really feels like the fron wheels aren't touching the ground. The wheel turns very easily. My wifes Mazda 3 hatch has electric assist but it feels more connected. I'm sure that I'll get used to it soon but it's taking me a little while.

I'm not modding this truck for speed but I've bought a couple things for it. So far I've got the LineX cover, made by Diamondback, and a nifty Space Pac truck bed divider so that I can use the bed of the truck like a trunk of a car some of the time. I've got the EZ Down ordered and I'm looking for a bed liner or mat. It's not for performance, but it's good to be able to "mod" a vehicle again.

We're hearing a lot from the 5.0 and EB owners. It would be interesting to hear from more 3.7 owners too. A bunch of people got the 4.2, there's got to be some others who will opt for the 3.7.

Last edited by wittom; 02-27-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by wittom
One thing that is taking me a while to get used to is the steering. I don't know if any other 2011 owners with the electric assist steering are going through this too. It really feels like the fron wheels aren't touching the ground. The wheel turns very easily. My wifes Mazda 3 hatch has electric assist but it feels more connected. I'm sure that I'll get used to it soon but it's taking me a little while.
One thing I noticed in two different test drives (3.7 and 3.5) - at low speeds, (parking lot speeds) the PS seems way over-boosted. As you said - almost feels like the wheels are not even on the ground. As I sped up, the steering feel firmed up, till somewhere around 30-45mph, it had a nice firm feel. I asked the EB test drive lady about it, she said, yes the PS is very speed sensitive...

Thanks for all the 3.7 reports!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
The only vehicle I've driven with electric PS is a Fiesta, and I didn't really care for it. Not enough road feel.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:38 PM
The power steering takes a little getting used to. It feels like a small car tooling around the parking lot's but it feels great on the highway. I just turned over 1900 miles this weekend and I'm still not completely used to the new feel.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:03 PM
At my last fill up I calculated an average of just under 19mpg. That was a couple weeks ago. This tank, I'm solidly in the 19mpg average. I've had to really drive differently than I usually had. I'm generally pretty agressive but have tried to be more passive. I don't pull away from every light like I'm running the quarter mile. I try not to "require" a forced kickdown on the highway.

I replaced the Edge with this 2011 F150 because I thought that I could get similar fuel economy. I can, so far. I don't have room for five passengers, but then the most I'd ever had in the Edge was four and that was only a handful of times. I have the option of 4WD, where the Edge was FWD. I've got a decent amount of space in the bed, and it's secure with the LineX cover. The Edge had a good amount of space but if you think about it, getting into an accident with all of that stuff piled up behind your head sounds like trouble.

I'm pleased with this V6 F150. Yes, I will admit, a silky, powerful V8 would be nice, but then I know that I would be driving it like a race car, and I would be spending too much of my money on fuel. I've tamed my driving, mostly because I've made it a challange to match or best the fuel economy that I was getting with the 3.5 V6, FWD Edge.

We'll see if this V6 F150 can do 24mpg on the highway with good weather. I'm not so sure. It seems that with the 3.73's the truck runs most efficently at between 50-65mph. It likes the country roads best. The speed limit on most of the highways around here is 65mph, but I feel like I'm going to be late if I'm going less than 75.

Anyone else with the 3.7 got anything to add?

Anyone?

Last edited by wittom; 03-13-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We have an 08 with the 4.2, and its been interesting reading your writeup. I'm definitely staying tuned!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:08 PM
I've got about 1360 on the ODO today. Added some gas and calculated my mpg. The onboard told me 19.3. Old school math told me 19.35. Really, the onboard display seems to be pretty accurate so far.

I'm only putting a hundred or so miles a week on this truck so it's taking a while to really get to know it. I'm pretty happy with the power so far, even though I've really changed my driving habits to improve mpg. Every once and a while it becomes necessary to get moving quickly and this V6 has been fine.

I can't drive 55, but just setting the cruise at 73 instead of 75 allows me to hold the average mpg number steady, instead of it dropping up every hill. In town I try to ease into the throttle from a stop, increasing it with each upshift till I reach the speed limit (giver or take a few mph).

I haven't had an issue with excessive downshifing. I know that the Edge would downshift often. It was much smoother than these trucks so it wasn't that big a deal. I think that with six gears it should be expected that you're going to get some downshifting on inclines and passing. The E250 that I drive for work has the E4OD and that thing is between third and fourth all of the time. I think that the 4R100 that was in the Super Duties and the Lightning held on to fourth tightly and would only downshift when absolutely necessary. That's four gears. Now our gears are chopped in six, so it's going to be a bit more active, I think.

The truck feels good, but if someone is working on tuing for the 3.7 F150, I hope that they are almost done. Since I put a chip in the 1998 F150, I've realized that the factory always leaves room for imporvement. This 2011 is no different. There are certain delays that I know can be removed, and shiftting firmed up. I guess that I'll be lucky to see anyone come out with tuning for the 3.7 F150, but if they did it would make this a much more enjoyable truck to own and drive.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't know if anyone is even interested but I'm going to continue to post in this thread untill I get bored.

About 1780mi on the ODO. Filled up the truck today. This time it was pretty low. Old school math gave me 19.79mpg. The onboard display said 19.6mpg.

I'm happy with the V6 but there is something that needs help. I don't know if you V8 or EB folks are experiencing this but the factory tuning sucks in this truck. I know that this V6 has decent power. I can summon it when I need it, most of the time. Had a couple instances recently where the factory tuning prevented me from tapping into the power. Once from a stop I went 3/4 throttle and it fell flat. Nothing for like three seconds and then it eased into the power. Another time I was trying to get up to speed after pulling into traffic. It took way too long to respond to what I was telling it with my right foot.

I think that the engine is fine, I really would like to see someone tune these 3.7's. I don't need this truck to be a race truck, but I would like it to move out, any time I need it to move out. Is the engine so weak that Ford found it necessary to retard the throttle response at slow speeds?

I know that if we constantly do jackrabbit starts and accelerate hard all of the time the truck is going to wear out more quickly. What if I'm at a light and at the last second I see that the person behind me isn't going to be able to stop? If I stab the throttle I want the engine to respond before the car behind me slams into my back bumper. There are actually many legitimate reasons to need power on demand. The factory tuning doesn't allow me to utilize the power that this engine is capable of.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
That's some good mileage and I agree, the tuning needs to be better if that's what you are experiencing. That can be dangerous. My 5.4 was like that, now that it's tuned... if i put the pedal down, away she goes

Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
That's why I hate electronic throttles. I have the last year of the real cable.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 3.7 V6 F150? I've got one.