2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking about a 3.7 V6 F150? I've got one.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by my'08f150
I guess I'm getting old... I don't feel the need to "hurry up" that often anymore. Did a weekend trip to Charleston last weekend (about 120 miles one way), per the on board, I was getting damn near 20 on I26, cruising at 75ish. With the in town and driving around Charleston, was getting 18. On the way home, that went up to 18.5 and has stayed the same with my commute to work this week. The low fuel light came on today with 50 to empty. My only complaint is the lag wittom talked about, there is a definite moment of hesitation if you nail the loud pedal... It is a little disconcerting sometimes. I'm debating on whether a tune is worth it. This motor does rev like nobody's business though.
Well the 5.4 in my 05 has a little split second lag sometimes when I floor it so it could be the computer not keeping up with the go pedal. As they don't have throttle linkage on these newer trucks as it is drive by wire aka computer controlled throttle when you step on the gas.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it's been a long time since I've posted anything in this thread. You know how life can change. I don't have time to do a lot of the things I used to. Such is life.

I've still got the 2011 and I'm still happy with it. I see the 2015's out there and it's very tempting to check them out. This 2011 only has 34k on it and is running perfectly. I've also put a couple dollars into it on a cap (or topper depending on where you are from) and power locks for the cap and tailgate. Oh, and I also put in a rear sliding window. So, while the appeal of the 2015's is there, I feel that the one I've got is just fine.

On the MPG front, I've actually seen a decrease since I last posted. Over the winter it was in the high 17's to low 18's. Since it's warmed up I've only seen 20 a few times. I've towed our little trailer a few of the times, and 18 is acceptable with it. I think the biggest factor is that I don't baby the truck as much. I guess I'm not trying as hard to get good MPG.

I haven't been able to spend much time on these forums, but with a quick glance I see that there are many of the names I seen here for a long time, as well as many new ones. This is and has been a great online community, and I don't regret any minuet spent here.

Have fun!

Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Thinking about a 3.7 V6 F150? I've got one.

Good to hear from you. Sounds as if your truck still serves you well.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 PM
This site helped me a ton with a 2004 Screw FX4 I had at the time. More recently it helped me again with the melting black plastic all over the outside of this 2012 Scab I'm currently driving. Love these forums and I am a die hard Ford guy from the get-go with 5 in attendance, ranging from Bronco to F350.

Now I'm back at almost 40K on this truck, still hating the 3.7.....2WD w/ 3.73LS by the way. I never expected it to have the torque of a V8 which I miss, but bought this work truck for mileage. I've never checked it but it seems to do well compared to my V10 so that part has me happy enough. Bums me that this 3.7 won't get out of it's own way unless I wind it up to 3K, but it least it's there when I mash it.

What I can't deal with it the stupid transmission or part of the computer controlling it. I've never had a vehicle that hunts for gears so much. I can't even lift, roll over a speed bump and barely get back into it without the thing downshifting one gear and many times two! Of course it's been to the dealer and there's "nothing wrong with it".

I have a 7 year 125K premium Ford warranty on it, so I'm not about to chip it which I'm sure would cure the problem. I have yet to spend the hours to scan all of the possible searches but will start here.....anybody else having this particular issue?

Old 09-09-2015, 11:17 AM
I bought one last december myself. a 2013 crew cab with the 3.7L V6. Had 20K on it

Now She's got close to 50K on her (I'm a commuter, which is why I bought a V6).

I love it. Has no problems pulling my bass boat either.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:38 PM
I've read through the first 15 or so pages of this thread before starting to see repetition so I skipped to the end. A couple weeks ago I picked up an ex-pilot '11 3.7L screw with 230k miles. Everything still works like new, identical to much lower mileage trucks. No problems or leaks, great compression, just a few rock chips on the front end (replacement oem HID headlight assemblies arriving today). Windshield looks new, as does most of the rest of the truck other than an extra antenna hole in the fender, one ding on the tailgate, and a small repaired tear on the drivers seat.

Truck has a Westin HDX brushguard bolted up front and a bakflip bed cover, steel rims with new all season tires around 35psi.

Drove it 130 miles home and reached 25.2mpg before I got to my exit. Speeds started at 70mph, but there were two 60mph zones along I-5 for about 15 miles total. Seemed to get 24mpg at 70mph, and when reaching the 60mph zone near the end of the trip, the dash meter was still rapidly climbing up beyond 25mpg. I did have a few times of getting up closer to 80mph and knocked off ~1mpg on the meter a few times during the trip. I was surprised by how well the truck did on fuel.

One item I must address is manual vs dash mpg calculations. Even with meters from back in the 80's, every Ford vehicle that I've had has been accurate with their fuel usage readings. If the fuel pressure (and regulator) are working correctly and giving consistent pressure, the engine computer knows exactly (withing manufacturing tolerances) how much fuel should get injected based on injector size specifications (high/low slopes, cutoff, etc), system voltage, and the commanded pulse widths. I've seen station fuel pumps be off far more than the tight calculations that can be performed by a vehicle. I've also seen deliberate in-dash lies on some vehicles, such as Hondas. In either case, improper tire size or variances in circumference due to tread wear or air pressure levels will usually cause far different numbers than other variables. I have no reason to believe the economy numbers calculated by the f150 are inaccurate.

Stating this, I have yet to verify the tire size on the truck, against whatever may be set in the computer's settings. If they are undersized, obviously my readings would be higher than they should be. It seems to match up well with actual trip distances vs odometer though. Since I've since dropped to about 20mpg though, on the same high-mpg tank, I assume I'm going to see averages of 18-20, in line with everyone else.

Truck isn't a daily driver (yet), so I won't be getting too many miles on it. Biggest annoyance is the delay in throttle response. Aftermarket tunes may not help performance, but the stock throttle response is somewhat annoying, as mentioned by others - I'm used to manual transmissions and a modified 4r70w transmission with a Baumann TCS controlling it.

One other item I must address - at 3000rpms, a 5.0 with 3.31 or 3.27 gears is putting about the same amount of torque to the ground as the 3.7L with 3.73 gears. Both would also likely get similar fuel economy numbers since the v6 would be turning a couple hundred more rpms. I'm not sure why people still hang onto "a motor isn't a truck engine unless it has gobs of lowend torque). In a heavier though, moving mass will require the same amount of energy no matter what - once you get around engine/drivetrain losses whether driving a 3.5/3.7, 5.0, 6.2, or ecoboost 3.5, the extra energy must come from somewhere. They should all pull similar numbers once you get to lifted, larger tire'd, hauling vehicles, and with the correct gearing for the application, the larger displacement engines do make sense. Gearing is a magical thing, and for the most part, you can estimate how changes in transmission and differential ratios will affect torque at different speeds and rpms, along with what to expect for fuel usage changes. Adding a higher numerical gear will also slow down your passing capabilities within certain speed ranges - not everything is faster. Being able to downshift further can allow for more torque multiplication at certain speeds. For example, on older 4-speed 4r70w transmissions (I haven't plugged the 6-speed into my old Excel spreadsheet), 2.73 differential gears would make a 7000rpm-shift-point-engine accelerate quicker between 52-72mph than 3.73 gears. First gear would have 7.7x torque multiplication whereas second gear would have only 4.2x torque multiplication. For towing, torque multiplication plays the biggest role.

Once used 5.0 screw trucks drop down in price further, I'll probably upgrade and move my existing truck's modifications over. I want a 4x4 screw, but don't want to pay tens of thousands for this fourth vehicle. I needed a truck for our new home though, and it was hard to pass up the deal I got on this well-performing v6 that also came with aftermarket upgrades. I will be dropping a coyote into my older windsor-engined vehicle so having two identical motors in car and truck would make for easier maintenance/product warehousing.

Edit:
6R80 Torque multiplication vs speed and differential ratios. 2.73 has more max gearing multiplication between 35-48mph than 3.73 gears, and between 63-86mph. I find slow drivers on 50mph county roads often need acceleration for passing in the 40-50mpg range (2.73 better than 3.73) and 70mph highways needing acceleration for passing in the 55-75mph range (2.73s have an advantage since they are better for the higher half of the speeds, and they don't put you right in the middle of the 3.73's 2-3 shift). Selecting the right gear can be a difficult decision. For low-rpm towing, you generally just want higher gears, but with transmission ratios near one another, there will become overlap and you begin to move backward (too high of differential ratio will have your torque multiplication similar to a lower differential ratio and the transmission set one gear lower).

Last edited by Masejoer; 10-08-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 AM
Love my 3.7

Hey guys I just thought I would chime in with my experience.
I have a stripped down 2014 STX reg cab 4x4 with the 3.7L.
This engine has all the top end power and then some that I need. I didn't buy a truck because I tow stuff. I work in a very muddy road and just couldn't continue to drive my new Fusion in that situation. So I bought this great little truck. For a truck I get great fuel economy on the 100 series roads. Not so great jigging around town. I've seen as low as 8/L/100 on a long flat highway run with a K&N drop in and 92octane.
This 3.7 is a seriously hard charging v6. I have one long flat on ramp I like to try all my vehicles on. From a dig I can get my 2.0L ecoboost fusion just to 160kmh before all 4 wheels are on the hwy. My old SVT focus would only manage 150kmh. My 3.7 f150 will do 160kmh before it cuts out and it cuts out 2 truck lengths before all 4 wheels are merged on the HWY. I'm impressed. My buddies 4 door ram Hemi with all the bells and whistles will not hit 160 on that same stretch.
My only complaint is I would love to get some more bottom end grunt. But that might be asking a lot out of a v6. Maybe in the future I will swap out those 3.73s
Anyway there is my review

Old 12-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by FordTough14stx
Hey guys I just thought I would chime in with my experience.
I have a stripped down 2014 STX reg cab 4x4 with the 3.7L.
This engine has all the top end power and then some that I need. I didn't buy a truck because I tow stuff. I work in a very muddy road and just couldn't continue to drive my new Fusion in that situation. So I bought this great little truck. For a truck I get great fuel economy on the 100 series roads. Not so great jigging around town. I've seen as low as 8/L/100 on a long flat highway run with a K&N drop in and 92octane.
This 3.7 is a seriously hard charging v6. I have one long flat on ramp I like to try all my vehicles on. From a dig I can get my 2.0L ecoboost fusion just to 160kmh before all 4 wheels are on the hwy. My old SVT focus would only manage 150kmh. My 3.7 f150 will do 160kmh before it cuts out and it cuts out 2 truck lengths before all 4 wheels are merged on the HWY. I'm impressed. My buddies 4 door ram Hemi with all the bells and whistles will not hit 160 on that same stretch.
My only complaint is I would love to get some more bottom end grunt. But that might be asking a lot out of a v6. Maybe in the future I will swap out those 3.73s
Anyway there is my review
Agreed - most people don't need more than the 300hp v6 - I'd take it over the 5.4L (and I did). As I had mentioned earlier, a small gearing advantage allows the v6 to hold its own. The 5.0 with 3.55s has 7% more torque at 3000rpms than the 3.7 with 3.73s. Nothing huge. The problem I have with the v6 is no supercrew 4x4 option - the truck is my people hauler as our three other cars are basically 2-seaters (if they have a back seat, the seat is too small for much).

Acceleration/total torque comes from gearing - it is far more important than the engine choices today. Want 22% more torque to the wheels over 3.73s, no matter the engine option? Install 4.56 gears. The 3.7L may start to average 20mpg at 75mph, but not much different than the 5.0L.

I will get a NA 5.0 at some point for 4x4 supercrew, but until then, the DI 3.7L runs great. Couldn't beat it for the price.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:20 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Mine is a 2014 3.7 Supercrew with the 3.73 gears, 2 wd. I've ran a few 5.4s and while they will launch about 3/4 truck from the start, once the 6 banger gets some rpms up it's bye-bye time. Most think I have an EB. I'm also on 275/20 wheels and tires. My average fuel mileage so far is a combined since new 24.8mpgs. So far, this is one of the best F150's I've owned and I've been a Ford buyer since 1974. Up until now, the 2002 F150 Screw was the best with a weak but trusty 4.6, 4 speed auto and 3.55's on 255/17's. Only complaint about the current one is............

Old 01-05-2017, 08:51 PM
Hi guys, first post, first Ford (maybe). Recently looking at letting go of my 2002 Jetta TDI and getting back into a truck again. Always been a Chevy guy when it comes to trucks but a certain F150 caught my eye a couple weeks ago at a local used dealership. 2014 STX 4x4 with the 3.7, S/C S/B. Real nice shape, only 56,000km (~35,000mi), lots of warranty left.

Mostly wondering how the truck does in the mountains with regards to both power and MPG, also if anyone has had any major issues through their ownership (i.e. tranny problems, head gasket etc). I travel through mountain passes on a weekly basis in all types of weather. The Jetta handles it well but it's getting long in the tooth and being a VW, there's always something wrong with it. Here's the truck, seems like a decent deal, assuming some negotiation. Not crazy about the PO's choice of tires but that can always be changed. Thanks in advance.

http://www.swanlakemotors.com/invent...d-F-150/337232

Old 01-08-2018, 04:54 AM
Still going strong!

Seven years, almost 50K on, my 3.7 F150 is still running strong. 20mpg is hard to achieve these days. Guess I'm not babying it as much as I used to.
I've been happy with this truck. I am thinking about it's replacement though. Waiting to see what the new Ranger offers.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Still driving my 2014 SCrew with the 3.7. Got 22.8 mpgs with it on a 3500 mile trip last spring running a heavy load and 75mph, sometimes 85. Still the best F150 I've ever bought. About the only thing I don't like about it is if I lived in the mountains. Going across the Appalachian Mountains I had to ride it pretty hard to stay with traffic. That tank of gas didn't last long either. It's not for that kinda environment. It works great with the Texas hill country and South Texas where most of my driving is. So far, I'm a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 3.7 V6 F150? I've got one.