2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking about a 3.7 V6 F150? I've got one.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think some of the lag you are experiencing is due to the electronic throttle and some may be the transmission. I don't know if you have experienced this, but sometimes when taking off from a stop quickly, particularly turning from a side street, it is easy to break a tire loose. The truck revs up until either the traction control kicks in or the tire gets some traction. RPMs drop, upshift to 2nd, and it falls dead on its face. Some of it is the really short 1st gear, some of it is ham-footed driving, but it is a bit annoying. Mine is a 2010 4.6 3v, btw.

Nice to see your fuel mileage is in line with the combined rating of the 3.7. A lot of my driving is in town, only 3 miles to work, so I get terribly mileage out of mine. Usually just under 15 mpg. When I try to drive like a granny, I still can't break 16. It sucks, but I only fill up every couple of weeks.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:43 PM
The truck is running good still.Close to 2k now on the ODO. This 3.7 really needs the help of a flash tuner. Canned tunes would be fine.

On the mpg front. This applies to all vehicles, but it's my experience with the 3.7 F150. I reset the onboard mpg reading with every fill up. It takes some miles to get a real average.

This weekend i was running late for something so had to put my mpg concerns in the proverbial back seat. With slightly more aggressive driving I couldn't get a reading of better than 18.2mpg. Then driving to our hike, there is a stretch of I90 that's a long steep grade. Still couldn't get more than 18.2, and it would drop below 18 at times. Then, to get to the trail head had to go up a very steep incline. That killed my mpg. I was getting a little discouraged untill I drove back down the steep grade on I90. I started to get back some of my losses. It was 18.9 when I was just a few miles from my house. Then, when I'm almost home and it's up to 19mpg. I feel better now.

I guess my point is, aggressive driving and where we drive have a huge effect on mpg. I hadn't really noticed before because I've never had the onboard mpg display so I didn't have an average intill I stopped for gas.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:19 AM
I test drove a 3.7L reg cab 2wd STX on 12/30, just prior to the test drive of my 5.0 STX SCab. The 3.7 had the 17" alloy's and obviously a short bed. It handled well in normal driving. The V6 power was there when I punched the throttle. Although, it was v6 power until around 3-3500 rpm's when it pulled harder than my '07.5 STX SCab with 3" cat-back and SC canned tune.

There is an issue if it's falling flat on it's face at off idle. How does it handle in normal off the line driving? It should only have a momentary hesitation off the line at WOT. If there is a delay lasting 2-3 seconds, it is lamost like it's stalling. Are you sure it's not just momentarily, similar to speed density? My '07.5 SCab had a momentary delay at WOT but was corrected with the SC canned tune.

My '11 5.0 has no hesitation off the line at WOT or in normal driving.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Filled up the tank again today. It was about half empty. Dash readout told me 19.3mpg. Old school math told me 19.58mpg. I wasn't sure that I was going to get better than 19mpg on this tank. Last weekend I was late getting to the bank so I got into the throttle a little more and the dash readout was telling me that I was getting poorer than usual mpg. It wasn't untill this afternoon while driving on some country roads in the north western hills of CT that the numbers I was seeing got better.

I don't think it matters what engine you have, if you get into the throttle, your going to burn more fuel.

As far as the hesitation is concerned, maybe it wasn't a full three seconds but felt like it? It really felt like it. Maybe there is a problem. I'll ask the service dept. when I'm in for an oil change. I think that what Ford has done is really dull the throttle feel of the V6 because they know that it's much easier to overtax this V6 compared to the V8's. I'm babying the hell out of this truck to prove to myself that I can get decent fuel economy with a full size pick up. I would still like the thing to respond when I need it to respond. Like I've said before, I've had experience with flash tuners with many of my other vehicle. This truck REALLY needs the tweeking of a flash tuner. It needs better, more direct, throttle response and quicker shift response.

It's really a good truck, and I know that this V6 has got the guts to get this truck going. Ford had just manufactured a computer barrier so that I can't easily get at them. For what I'm paying to drive this thing, I think that it should perform as well as it possibly can.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 AM
2011 f150 screw 4x2 3.7l owner

3.73 ratio tow package etc... first tank of gas 19.5 second tank 19.9mpg. Using bed cover. 50/50 highway and city. No long extended highway yet.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 AM
I drove 500 miles to the mountains and back and when I filled up got 22.5mpg. I reset the econometer the last 200 miles on hilly ground and it averaged 24.5. Bear in mind I kept the speed at 62mph w/cruise control the entire trip with some city driving at the halfway point.

Getting your speed over 65mph will kill your mileage. These trucks are bricks compared to cars and areodynamic drag comes into play. Watch your econometer next time you drive into a headwind.

My commute is only 4 miles with plenty of stop and go driving. If I don't get on the freeway I'll only get 16mpg. A short trip on the freeway will bring the overall numbers up quickly, the last full tank averaged 18.8mpg. I'm halfway thru a tank of city driving right now and the average is 17mpg.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM
My truck seems to respond quicker when I punch it about 3/4 throttle. Full throttle stabs cause some hesitation.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:09 AM
Ahh, more people with the V6. Nice! Great info folks!

What configs you guys got? I think that 4X4 is a deficite in fuel economy. I can't do much less than 70mph on the highway. Slower than that and I start getting ancy.

What I've seen is that even if the mpg looks pretty bad for a while, by the time I get around to adding fuel, it's back up over 19mpg. I've got to drive it like a grandma most of the time, but a few stabs of the throttle, steep grades or headwinds will be absorbed by generaly good diving habits.

I agree with the 3/4 throttle. I think that the PCM intervienes when we put the pedal to the floor. Really, I know from previous experience that all we need is a flash tuner to give us better control of throttle response.

So far these are some pretty good mpg numbers for this V6.

Last edited by wittom; 04-30-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Mike at www.5startuning.com was looking for info from 3.7L owners as he is making a tune for it.

Google "Any 2011 F150 3.7L owners ?" and you'll find the threads.

Last edited by rmcnelly; 04-30-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by wittom
What configs you guys got? I think that 4X4 is a deficite in fuel economy. I can't do much less than 70mph on the highway. Slower than that and I start getting ancy.

What I've seen is that even if the mpg looks pretty bad for a while, by the time I get around to adding fuel, it's back up over 19mpg. I've got to drive it like a grandma most of the time, but a few stabs of the throttle, steep grades or headwinds will be absorbed by generaly good diving habits.
Wittom,

What brand fuel are you running? What tire pressure? I filled-up the other day and received 20.235 mpg using old school math. It was Shell 87 (E10) gas with 75% highway/25% city driving.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Shell 87 (E10) and 21.7mpg cruising up to the Eastern Shore and back carrying the kayak, overall distance was 170 miles. Had crosswinds and set the cruise at 58mph.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Wittom,

What brand fuel are you running? What tire pressure? I filled-up the other day and received 20.235 mpg using old school math. It was Shell 87 (E10) gas with 75% highway/25% city driving.
I fill up with Sunoco most of the time. I couldn't tell you what the tire pressure is. I would guess that it's pretty clost to the "reccomended" tire pressure.

I'm in the 20mpg range now with the warmer weather. I think when I parked the truck last the onborad display read 20.3. I do probably 50/50 highway/city.

Originally Posted by rmcnelly
Had crosswinds and set the cruise at 58mph.
I know that crosswinds have a huge effect on the slab sided trucks. How can you set the cruise at 58mph? What kind of roads are you on?

That is good mpg!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=wittom;4578144
I know that crosswinds have a huge effect on the slab sided trucks. How can you set the cruise at 58mph? What kind of roads are you on?

That is good mpg![/QUOTE]

Flat semi rural split 4 lane road w/55mph speed limit plus crossing the 17.6 mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge - Tunnel.

Last edited by rmcnelly; 05-02-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Towing with my 3.7l screw

10.4 mpg travel trailer unloaded approx 4100 lbs 180 mile trip range of terrain... no extreme grade... but rolling etc...

Used to get low 9 in dodge v8 dakota

Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by bradkrisw
10.4 mpg travel trailer unloaded approx 4100 lbs 180 mile trip range of terrain... no extreme grade... but rolling etc...

Used to get low 9 in dodge v8 dakota
That's not bad considering! How does the truck feel? Is it a slug or does it move along ok with the burden of an additional 4100lbs?

I know that my mpg's are improving with the warmer weather and better gas. I've been solidly in the 20's recently. I think that's pretty good considering the average for my truck is 18mpg. I do drive completely differntly though. Now, instead of my wife saying I drive too fast, she asks why I'm going so slow.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 3.7 V6 F150? I've got one.