2009 - 2014 F-150

Best Suspension Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Suspension Lift?

Hey guys,
I'd like to get your thoughts on the best lift to put on a 2010 Fx4 Screw...Looking to go with a 6" with 35s...let me know which brand you think is best (Fabtech, BDS, ProComp), why, and post any pics you got. Thanks!

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by BlackAshFX4
Hey guys,
I'd like to get your thoughts on the best lift to put on a 2010 Fx4 Screw...Looking to go with a 6" with 35s...let me know which brand you think is best (Fabtech, BDS, ProComp), why, and post any pics you got. Thanks!
i have always heard that fabtech is a really good one because of how well they are designed. but if you want a great lift for a really low price check out rough country suspension. they are located near me in Dyersburg, TN.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:29 PM
from what ive heard the BDS is nice, plus they have a lifetime warranty with a "you break it we buy it" policy. the only thing i dont like about it is that it uses a 4" block in the rear. id personally opt for a actual aftermarket leaf pack from Deaver but thats just me.

best is relative, its all on what you want to do with it and how you want to accomplish that.

Originally Posted by PD850
i have always heard that fabtech is a really good one because of how well they are designed. but if you want a great lift for a really low price check out rough country suspension. they are located near me in Dyersburg, TN.
im not ******* on anyone that has rough country stuff on their truck as ive never had it or seen it, but i can tell you that they make the absolute most ****tiest components for jeeps (leaf and coil sprung) and couldnt design anything if their life depended on it. im not even sure if their lead engineer knows what geometry even is. id stay away from them. you get what you pay for, time and time again.

Last edited by marshal; 12-29-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM

6in BDS, no problems so far, 14 months and 5500 miles. Like said above I would rather have a new pack of leaf springs instead if the block, but that wouldn't be hard to swap out.
I also had a fabtech lift on my 01 for five years no problems.

Here some pics, more on my gallery.

My 01

Old 12-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I am also looking into getting a 6in. lift and putting 35's on my 09 screw. I have been reading up and hear rize or sky jacker is the way to go. I have dealt with neither personally so can't give you any pros or cons. Sorry.

Question for ruffn-it or anyone that knows: With you having a lift with a block instead of leaf spring, do you do much towing? Will the tow rating change at all or how does it affect towing if at all?
Thanks for all information received ahead

Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Fabtech on mine and so far everything is great.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mwcarter41
Question for ruffn-it or anyone that knows: With you having a lift with a block instead of leaf spring, do you do much towing? Will the tow rating change at all or how does it affect towing if at all?
Thanks for all information received ahead
The block just sets the factory leaf springs up higher, which would keep your same pay load and towing. A new pack of leaf springs may actually increase payload, I know when I added an add-a-leaf to my 01 it ups the payload a little. However the larger and more importantly heavier rims and tires will affect the performance and towing, how much? I don't know, but larger gears can fix that.

On my current setup, 6in lift and 35's on the stock 3.73 gears I only tow a jet ski and the occasional 1 or 2k trailer. But we've been thinking about getting a boat and if its under say 5 or 6k I won't regear (it wouldnt be towed very far either), but that's about as heavy as I would want to go without new gears. I'm not a guru when it comes to gears so someone else should chime in here with some good info. (they will probably say I should regear anyway and 6k is too much weight with 35's and 3.73's, but its better than 3.55's).

Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM
LOVE your truck!

Originally Posted by 08FX4
I've got a Fabtech on mine and so far everything is great.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this truck!! Everything about it looks good

Old 12-31-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks!

If I were in your shoes I would go with either the Fabtech or BDS kit. You'll very seldom ever read a bad review on either of these companies and it's because they produce excellent products. As for Rough Country I can't speak for their 1/2 ton IFS kits but I can tell you that I had their 5" X-series suspension lift (supposedly the latest and greatest) on my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and it was total crap. During the 3 months or so that I had it installed both sway bar links broke, the coil springs sagged (I'm talking like over an inch of sag) and I couldn't keep it aligned. I swapped that lift for a Fabtech 6" and the parts were beefier, it rode better, the coils never sagged and I never had a problem keeping it aligned. As far as I know the guy that bought it 2 years ago hasn't even had a single issue with it.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4
Thanks!

If I were in your shoes I would go with either the Fabtech or BDS kit. You'll very seldom ever read a bad review on either of these companies and it's because they produce excellent products. As for Rough Country I can't speak for their 1/2 ton IFS kits but I can tell you that I had their 5" X-series suspension lift (supposedly the latest and greatest) on my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and it was total crap. During the 3 months or so that I had it installed both sway bar links broke, the coil springs sagged (I'm talking like over an inch of sag) and I couldn't keep it aligned. I swapped that lift for a Fabtech 6" and the parts were beefier, it rode better, the coils never sagged and I never had a problem keeping it aligned. As far as I know the guy that bought it 2 years ago hasn't even had a single issue with it.
Thanks for the help! How do you like the Trail Grapplers so far? And how did you smoke your third brake light?

Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 PM
I ended up going with the BDS 6 inch lift. I've had it for about 5-6 months and havent had any problems with it. I dont tow at all, so i cant comment on that.

Before

After Lift with stock 18 inch wheels

Lifted with Bushwacher flares and 18inch wheels and 35 inch General Grabber AT2 (winter set up)

Old 12-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by BlackAshFX4
Thanks for the help! How do you like the Trail Grapplers so far? And how did you smoke your third brake light?
I've only got about 3500 miles on them but they still look new. They ride decent, aren't obnoxiously loud and are very aggressive. One thing I've noticed compared to other tires I've had is that they don't seem to pick up many rocks and the ones they do pick up tend to stay in the tread until I pick them out. As for the smoked third brake light I bought it from an eBay member but you can buy VHT Nite-shades and do it yourself if you have the time.

Last edited by 08FX4; 12-31-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Ruffn-it, thanks for the answers. I was hoping to keep same gears and run 35's with my 6in. lift. I don't tow everyday but when I tow, it could be up to 7k-8k. I am gonna have to check into the gear issue. May just have to go with same size tire and just use a more aggressive tire. Hopefully it will look as good.

Looks like the Fabtech and BDS lifts are the way to go if you don't want to spend the extra for the Rize lift if im gathering all the info correctly.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I just ordered the new wheels and will have my truck lifted as soon as they come in! (end of the week hopefully)

Quick question: Does lifting the truck completely void the factory warranty? My truck only has 10K miles on it, so I'm a little worried about the transmission not being covered if something happens after I lift it. What are your thoughts on lifting a new truck under warranty??

Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Several dealers are selling F150's off the lot new with 6" Pro Comp lifts with no warranty stipulations that I have heard of. I have an 04 that has been lifted now for almost 7 years and 50k miles. My thoughts, Lift it... just keep your wife and/or dad out of the garage when you drop the entire front end out of her.

Quick Reply: Best Suspension Lift?