2009 - 2014 F-150

Water leaking into my cab!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had both the sat. antenna and the dreaded high brake light leak fixed at the same time, 8 months ago.

New high brake light and gasket, removed the sat antenna and silicone caulk around the opening and a new headliner.

Now, every time it rains or my XLT gets washed, Imma checking for leaks cuz of paranoia.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Just bought a used 2010 F-150 XL. No sat antenna. Had a HARD rain a few days ago and water came in from the passenger side handle as well as at the rear top area of the back window.

As I looked closer, I can see water stains on BOTH sides of the headliner. Truck has 23,000 miles so it's under warranty.

Have an appointment Monday for leak service which Ford OUTSOURCED to a local shop. Due to NOT having a sat antenna, where's my leak? Rear brake light? Windshield? Both?

Not happy at all....

Old 06-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Daveel,

Previous poster is probably correct...in researching my own problem it seemed that the water activity along the door / door handle was related to the satellite or sync antenna.

Ford dealers will put up a big fight on this issue...widespread problems. My own dealer and Ford replaced my King Ranch seats, cleaned the headliner to stock, and sealed a leaky brake light...all after I made it clear that I was going to lawyer up.

Good luck. Don't back off the fact that it's their issue, not your problem.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:41 PM
I ended up with a stained headliner, had to jump through a ton of hoops. The dealer installed a new liner, left grease prints all over it. They also got finger prints on my visor. They tried to clean it and stained it even worse. Eventually they had to install a second liner. Not fun.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by daveel
I ended up with a stained headliner, had to jump through a ton of hoops. The dealer installed a new liner, left grease prints all over it. They also got finger prints on my visor. They tried to clean it and stained it even worse. Eventually they had to install a second liner. Not fun.
Lightly wet a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and those finger prints on your visor can be removed.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by High-ster
Lightly wet a Mr Clean Magic Eraser and those finger prints on your visor can be removed.
The dealer replaced the visor, used the wrong clip so the visor rattles. Today they get to replace the visor clip and try to reinstall the pillar cover, it has warped and pulled up where it meets the dash. At this point I have something like 9 trips to the dealer to deal with the leak issue. The service writer has been great, it's the tech's that suck. On several occasions they've done really craptacular work and just hoped I wouldn't notice it.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
JPN
Just had this repair done to my truck (2010, 42,000miles), $96. Why Ford won’t step up and cover this is beyond me, they should think about customer retention a little more. I read this TSB as a clear manufacturing error.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Mine leaks too...2012 FX4

I have a pretty bad leak in mine somewhere but it seems different then what others are reporting. My floor is soaked under the drivers mat after every soaking rain. The water runs under the door sills between the front and back of cab on the drivers side. I can hear it moving under the sills when I brake or accelerate from a stop sometimes. I can not tell where its coming from. I do not seem to have any drips inside that I can see, headliner seems dry, etc. I have not taken to the dealer yet because I haven't really had time. I am gonna remove the door sills tomorrow and check under them for water damage. I just hope the wires are properly protected.
I am wondering if my leak is from an improperly sealed windshield. I have wind noise from the passenger front windshield corner/side window area. Quiet on the drivers side. Something else for the dealer to fix.
I came from a 2001 Tundra that was dry as a tomb inside and quiet, and never went back to the dealer after the day I bought it. Put 256k trouble free miles on it. So far, I am disappointed in the initial quality concerns of this basically brand new Ford truck. Hopefully they will find the issues and repair to my satisfaction....

Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Bought a $48 LED third brake light 2 weeks ago off EGAY,which I was going to do anyway since it is LED and smoked. No More Leak.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 PM
$6 leak fix

My truck has been doing the same (2009 f-150), water through the passenger assist handle and the rear corners in the headliner. I talked to the guys at the dealership were we got the truck to see if they'd do anything nice for us. The fellow there told me that the water was most likely coming from the rear brake/cargo lamp , and the satellite receiver. They of course wanted me to make an appointment, call me cheap but I thought id try and fix it first.

What I did,

rear lamp
(7mm socket), removed it (was definitely a leak), let lamp dry out, cleaned surrounding area and applied silicone, reinstalled it and should be good.
if the washers on the screws are worn out maybe a dab of silicone to seal those as well.

satellite receiver,
Had to remove passenger assist handle and sun visor (7mm socket and Phillips screwdriver). this should be enough to access the bolt holding the receiver (10mm socket). remove completely (definitely a leak zone), clean the area and applied the silicone to seal around the wholes, then reattached the receiver, buttoned it back up and called it good.

once the silicone has had time to dry I will pour water on them to test them, I don't see how it wont. I will let you know if it doesn't.

Spent $6 on exterior-grade (uv resistant), clear silicone.

Maybe Ford should use a rubber gasket rather than foam. Hmm.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:26 AM
I know this section is for the 09-13 body style F150s. I have a 2007 and started noticing my pass side carpeting wet. I have the carpeting pulled back now and got it dry and we had a good rain last night and I see water dripping down from somewhere behind the dash on the right hand side. I do have the Sirius antenna on the cab of my truck as it was installed by Ford. Could that be the source of the leak? All I know is that it must have been leaking for quite some time as I have a decent sized rust bubble area at where a seam is behind the pass side kick panel.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 AM
Crew Cab Leaks

I have a 2010 Harley Edition and had a leak around the 3rd brake light. I replaced the factory installed light with a smoked black led light from www.goRexon.com. I had to drop the headliner down a few inches in the back. Removed and cut the wires from the old light. Wires up the new light and applied a little bit of sealant to the gasket and installed. Looks 100% better and no more leaks back there.
Now I have to stop the leak in the front. That's running down the passenger grab handle. I am glad I found this thread because I was stumped. I am going to seal the satallite antenna and hope this cures what ails my beautiful Harley Edition.

2010 Harley Davidson edition 4×4. With K&N CIA, Cooper Zenon 22' all terrain tires, retractable tonneau, and it's been retuned.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by MrWink
I have a 2010 Harley Edition and had a leak around the 3rd brake light. I replaced the factory installed light with a smoked black led light from www.goRexon.com. I had to drop the headliner down a few inches in the back. Removed and cut the wires from the old light. Wires up the new light and applied a little bit of sealant to the gasket and installed. Looks 100% better and no more leaks back there.
Now I have to stop the leak in the front. That's running down the passenger grab handle. I am glad I found this thread because I was stumped. I am going to seal the satallite antenna and hope this cures what ails my beautiful Harley Edition.

2010 Harley Davidson edition 4×4. With K&N CIA, Cooper Zenon 22' all terrain tires, retractable tonneau, and it's been retuned.
Yeah, I just had to deal with the satellite antenna a few weeks ago myself. There is a TSB on that if you are before a certain build date (which mine was). So far it has been dry ever sense. Already done the third brake light and also had a leak in the passenger side corner of the rear window where I had to take it in and have the window removed and re sealed.

I just got the truck in July. Was glad I found all the resources out there to help with the various leaks.

Nice looking truck by the way!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The leaking third brake lights go all the way back to 2004. Just remove the foam gasket and apply a bead of silicone and let it set before reinstalling. Replace the three bulbs in there with LEDs while you're at it. It'll fix the leak and you'll never have to open it again.

I know some are under warranty, but it's very easy and you can do a better job than the dealers will do.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
The leaking third brake lights go all the way back to 2004. Just remove the foam gasket and apply a bead of silicone and let it set before reinstalling. Replace the three bulbs in there with LEDs while you're at it. It'll fix the leak and you'll never have to open it again.

I know some are under warranty, but it's very easy and you can do a better job than the dealers will do.
I didn't like the idea of gluing the OEM one with factory bulbs to my paint so I used Frost King brand rubber foam weather seal 3/4"x7/16" (Got on Amazon but HD has it) to replace my factory one per what I saw on another site. Tons of rain this winter in CA NW so I replaced mine as insurance against a potential problem couple months ago with my truck closing in on 3yrs old for "winterization". I have never had a leak.

I also dabbed clear rtv silicon with a cue tip into those rivet holes above rear glass and in the seam segment in adjacent track that looked like a "dimpole".

You are correct though in that you will never need to pull the light again especially if you switch to LEDs so silicon is an option as well for 3BL repair.

Haven't touched Sat Ant but moonroof seems to direct flow away from it....but maybe I'll do it to.

Oh, happy near year

Last edited by RedWoodsMan1; 12-31-2015 at 09:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Water leaking into my cab!