2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water leaking into my cab!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened to my 10 FX2 last fri. Dripping from same spot. Drove to dealer and service advisor called mechanic,,, he looked and said yup caused by sat antenna and said bulletin is out on it. 15 min later it was fixed and I was out of their!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by fireguy9
This happened to my 10 FX2 last fri. Dripping from same spot. Drove to dealer and service advisor called mechanic,,, he looked and said yup caused by sat antenna and said bulletin is out on it. 15 min later it was fixed and I was out of their!!!
wow I wish my dealer was this efficient. I brought mine in when it was leaking in the rear. Made me make an appointment for a week later. In today, hopefully they fix it! Also had dripping from pass. grab handle in past during heavy rain, hopefully they fix that also.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:37 AM
Lots of Raptor owners are complaining about the same thing.. And many have said it was due to the moonroof as well. After it rains, if you look up into the moonroof tray you may find a pool of water running from there. I'm awaiting delivery of my 2011 with a moon roof option, almost wish I hadnt after all these horror stories Ive been reading about when it comes to leaks.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine leaked in both the 3rd brake light and the passenger handle. I fixed the 3rd light on my own (took 15 minutes) and will probably fix the satellite antenna myself - just to save an hour or three effing around at the g-damn dealer. Can't stand sitting around at the dealer.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Fuelonempty
Lots of Raptor owners are complaining about the same thing.. And many have said it was due to the moonroof as well. After it rains, if you look up into the moonroof tray you may find a pool of water running from there. I'm awaiting delivery of my 2011 with a moon roof option, almost wish I hadnt after all these horror stories Ive been reading about when it comes to leaks.

Its normal for water to pool in the moonroof tray....b/c there are 4 drain tubes on each corner that lead out of the truck. When you have your headliner off you can easily see this. I've also "leak tested" my sunroof while the headliner was out, and could easily see how its suppose to work. 99% of the time its either the SAT antenna or the 3rd brake light letting water in.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:16 AM
RCB
The water leaking on the passenger handle just happened to me this week. Thanks everyone for posting. I checked TSBs but I must have missed this one - thought it might have been condensation from the sunroof due to the drastic change in temps but glad there's a tsb for it!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Timelessr1
Its normal for water to pool in the moonroof tray....b/c there are 4 drain tubes on each corner that lead out of the truck. When you have your headliner off you can easily see this. I've also "leak tested" my sunroof while the headliner was out, and could easily see how its suppose to work. 99% of the time its either the SAT antenna or the 3rd brake light letting water in.
I highly doubt an engineer would allow water to drip into the interior of a truck while the moonroof is closed.. I was under the impression that the pan that is there is for protecting the interior if you have the the moonroof on "tilt", or if you forget it open, not to allow water to enter the cab and then drain once it is closed... I know my other vehicles (also equipped with a drip pan) dont let in any water once the moonroof is closed.

I can see how a couple of drips are "acceptable" but many owners are finding more than that. I also realize that the sat radio antenna and brake light have been some of the main culprits to the leaks.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Fuelonempty
I highly doubt an engineer would allow water to drip into the interior of a truck while the moonroof is closed.. I was under the impression that the pan that is there is for protecting the interior if you have the the moonroof on "tilt", or if you forget it open, not to allow water to enter the cab and then drain once it is closed... I know my other vehicles (also equipped with a drip pan) dont let in any water once the moonroof is closed.

I can see how a couple of drips are "acceptable" but many owners are finding more than that. I also realize that the sat radio antenna and brake light have been some of the main culprits to the leaks.
You can doubt it....but thats how it works....how do you thikn you test the sunroof drains? you open the sun roof fully....and then have the trucked parked on an incline, and pour water into the track!! Maybe if you took your headliner out you would be able to add to this. How do you know your other sunroofs dont let water into the tracks whle they are closed? thats how they are designed.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
I had a sun-roof once......that was enough for me.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by morgan1965
My truck was built about 10 days after the TSB. Either my truck slipped through the cracks and didn't get the fix or the fix just didn't fix it.

So if your post-01/2010 truck has the grab handle drip, don't let 'em bs you. Save yourself multiple trips and hours in the waiting room -- Insist that they seal up the satellite antenna.
Just started dripping today. Build date on the frame is 2/16/2010, door sticker says 3/10. No water can be seen on the headliner or anything yet. Truck was built at the Dearborn plant.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 PM
I gotta say I feel like Ford is letting me down... When I first got my truck I noticed the same leak from the brake light some of you are mentioning, but it wasn't until today in an automatic carwash that I really saw it! The automatic wash pressure washed the top of my truck and next I knew water was all over the back of my cab!
It doesn't help that I JUST had my truck at the dealership because the Ford emblem on the front is peeling!
Unfortunately my dealership is rather picky... They took a bunch of pictures of my truck and will be caling me after they hear back from HQ on whether they can replace it or not. This is some disappointing b/s

Old 06-17-2011, 11:30 PM
I have a 2011 supercrew 4x4 and I had the 3rd brake light replaced today because it was leaking.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Re: Water Leak in Ford F-150

I bought a brand new King Ranch Crew Cab in 2010. Nice truck. A couple months into the deal (and 4,000 miles later) noticed the leakage. Water ruined back leather seats and ceiling fabric. Took it back 8/2010, they tell me it's fixed and replace the seats.

Well, we've had a heck of a drought here in Texas. It literally hasn't rained in Houston for about 18 months.

Guess what? We had about 6 inches of rain yesterday, and my problem is back. Ceiling soaked, seats ruined.

Took it back to the same dealer yesterday. They tell me good luck, your vehicle warranty is expired (car now has 40K miles) and the repair warranty was 12/12,000.

Looks like I am going to lawyer up and go after the Dealer, Ford, and anyone else involved in getting that truck from the assembly line to that dealer.

Anyone who has had success with an attorney or settlement, I'd love to hear about your recommendations and/or referrals.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Build Tracking Moderator
In my opinion.

Ford should have been more diligent in correcting the water-leak issues with the third brake lights. Not sure which year the problem started, but i know it's well before your 2010 model. One would think, they'd get a handle on something minor like a leak caused by a gasket in short order.
Keep us updated.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 09 platinum sat out in the rain yesterday and we went out to run some errands about an hour after the rain and I looked in the backseat and the seats were wet up by the headrests. So I immediately knew that my worst fear had come true. Now I am very concerned about the headliner in my truck ($500+) on Tasca if it gets ruined. I need to get the 3rd BL taken apart and get it sealed, but I am also concerned about the Sat. Antenna.

How difficult is it to remove the headliner? Any one know if there are instructions somewhere or a video?

Why has Ford dropped the ball so hard on this! If ever there was such a thing as an EPIC FAIL!!!! this is it! And of course it happens less than 1 year and less than 3,000 miles after my warranty was up!

I am not a fan of Ford right now. I am soo pissed right now I feel like I am going to look harder at a GMC Sierra next time. I have put over 180,000 miles on GM vehicles the past 6-7 years and never had a problem. I buy a (used) Ford and in the first year I put 6000 miles on it and it just seems like Ford skips the details sometimes.

They need to put out a recall and fix what needs to be fixed!!!

Quick Reply: Water leaking into my cab!