2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water leaking into my cab!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaking into my cab!

Have a 2010 4x4 SC that has started dripping water from the passenger grab handle on the pillar. Happens after it's been parked all night in the rain. My drive way tilts slightly to the front. There is some water in the inner door rubber. I sprayed it down and can't see where it's coming from. The dealer says it might be the rear break light, no moisture on the head liner that I can feel. Dealer also says that I have to remove my canopy and put it back on at my cost because of "liability" issues. I say it's their problem, My topper isn't the cause of the leak. It looks like the Snugtop has more than enough room to get the lense cover off. Any ideas?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 AM
From what I've read, the water leak on the passenger grab handle is caused by the Sync antenna if you have that option.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:57 AM
tsb 10-4-7 outlines the problems the new trucks are having. deals with the sat antennaes on the new trucks. my dealer thought it was a brake light also til i brought this to their attnetion.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:11 AM
There are two tsb's in reference to water leaking into the cab. One is for the 3rd brake light and the second is for the passenger grab handle due to the Sirius antennae. Also tell the guy who told you that the leaking in the front passenger door is from the 3rd brake light to some studying. Save yourself the time and hassle of removing your canopy top.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM
I had the same issue and the tsb fixed it right up... but pretty sure they use a sealant rather than a gasket for the fix. There was some residual left over around the sat antenna.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I wonder why Ford didn't fix this? This has been going on for a while now.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Apparently, this issue was fixed on trucks manufactured after January 2010...

FORD: 2009-2010 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2009-2010 F-150 vehicles built at Dearborn Truck Plant (DTP) on or before 1/12/2010, or at Kansas City Assembly Plant (KCAP) on or before 01/18/2010, and equipped with optional Satellite Radio, may exhibit water entry into the passenger compartment near the RH A-pillar assist handle.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove satellite radio antenna from the vehicle. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 415-00.
Completely remove the mounting bolt and retention clip, then compress the plastic pre-position clip and apply upward force on mounting stud of antenna.
Clean both cab sheet metal and satellite antenna base surfaces with 50/50 mix of Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and water.
Place a 1/8" (3.2 mm) bead of Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone to the antenna base. (Figure 1)

TSB # 10-4-7

Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad I mounted my Satellight antenna on top of the dash towards the front windshield edge! Reception works just fine!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Two weeks ago I had a water leak from the right windshield pillar handle occur in my 2010 Platinum while driving in the rain. Took it to the dealer and mentioned the TSB concerning the satellite antenna. They said it was my windshield seal that was leaking and resealed it. I haven't been in rain since then so we shall see if their repair fixed it when it does.

I can't imagine why a camper top would cause a leak.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 AM
I can't imagine why a camper top would cause a leak.[/QUOTE]

They are saying that I have to remove and replace the topper if they need to get to the third break light. Newer Fords are hard to get a good seal on because of the rail liners and front bed shape. Mine doesn't leak and I don't want to mess with it. The truck sat at the dealer's all day and they didn't get to it.....

Old 11-07-2010, 04:11 PM
TSB fix didn't work

Just had exactly the same problem described above (water dripping from the passenger side a pillar grab handle). Took to dealer and mentioned TSB 10-4-7. After 2 hours sitting in the waiting room, they told me they couldn't find it. I suggested performing the TSB fix anyway. The refused, saying my truck was built after the TSB date and therefore already incorporated the TSB fix. They said they'd keep looking. After another 2 hours, they told me they checked everything and there was no leak. I said I'd see them next time it rained and left frustrated.

It rained last night. Drip. Drip. Drip. I removed the A pillar cover and found water pooled up in the plastic gussets on the back side of the cover. I then removed the passenger side visor to pull the headliner down enough to see the underside of the satellite antenna. Sure enough, I found a large droplet of water about to drip off the head of a bolt at the center of the antenna. I was able to get decent pics of everything so I'm armed for tomorrow's trip back to the dealership.

The fix outlined in the TSB looks like it would have taken about 20 minutes to perform. The dealership dummies declined to try that and instead spent four hours finding nothing, assured me that there was no leak, and sent me on my way.

My truck was built about 10 days after the TSB. Either my truck slipped through the cracks and didn't get the fix or the fix just didn't fix it.

So if your post-01/2010 truck has the grab handle drip, don't let 'em bs you. Save yourself multiple trips and hours in the waiting room -- Insist that they seal up the satellite antenna.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Fix the Sat antenna leak yourself. If you take the time to pull the headliner down for a pic it would take literally 2 minutes to pull the antenna off and put silicone on it. ?That way you know it's done right. That's what I did. Now though I have a huge leak at the back of the cab. I think the headliner is ruined. I'm bringing it in for that simply because if they cannot clean the headliner they'll have to change it and I'm not in the mood to tackle that job.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 PM
It's Ford's problem -- Ford can fix it. If I fix it and it doesn't work and ruins the headliner, I can't see Ford standing behind my work. As soon as it's out of warranty, I'll service it myself. Until then, my plan is to insist that Ford do its job correctly.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by morgan1965
It's Ford's problem -- Ford can fix it. If I fix it and it doesn't work and ruins the headliner, I can't see Ford standing behind my work. As soon as it's out of warranty, I'll service it myself. Until then, my plan is to insist that Ford do its job correctly.

You are right-- it is Fords problem, and they should make it right,but sometimes for simple repairs it is better to repair it yourself.When you bring it in for repairs like this it is usually the low man on the totem pole that gets the job,they will fix one thing and damage two others,especially when they have to start digging into the interior.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by morgan1965
Wuz it mine, I'd take it back also and let the dealer try at least. Especially if it's warrantied .
While you are there, I think there's a TSB on the cargo light leaking water also. I'd have that looked at too.

Quick Reply: Water leaking into my cab!