2009 - 2014 F-150

Hope these ?s aren't too dumb

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope these ?s aren't too dumb

First of all, this is a great site. I've taken a lot of ideas and saved them as I am going to purchase my truck in a the next month or so. Thank you! I know zip about mechanics. I always go with the extended warranty just so I don't get raped if the thing needs repairs. I'm finally going back to Ford after having Dodges the last two trucks I owned. It just was more truck for the money and I really liked how much higher the Dodge sits. Anyway, I have more cash to play with but I have a few novice question.

1. First, I don't need a 4x4. I just love the way they look. Can a 2-wheel drive truck be lifted and decked out to look like a 4x4? That would save me some cash and I'd be able to do deck it out even more. I wouldn't want to do it though if it screwed up the truck.

2. 2nd, Do any of you know if that Raptor grille can be ordered and if so, can it be put on any 2010? That thing is sweet. I was thinking that if you could just get the FORD chromed and leave the frame and mesh black on a black truck, that would look killer.

3. I suck at mechanics but I know how to deal with the dealerships. I have one Black, Screw FX4 with a sticker of $40k down to $30k out the door. Does that sound like a solid deal?

4. My problem though is I want the one listed @ $43k for the same price. Any shot of getting them to go that low if I wait until the end of the month?

5. Lastly, I live in AZ and want to go leather. That could mean 3rd degree burns if I have shorts on! How good is the seat cooling in the Lariats? I'm thinking about going Lariat just to get that. If you've never been to AZ, yes it's that hot!

5. Oh one more, is that Sony nav radio/system worth the extra cash?

Sorry about the long first post but any info some of you could give me would be a big help.

Thanks for reading

Oh and the Fords I owned before I switched to Dodge were '89 Ranger, '94 Eddie Bauer (loved that truck with the straight six), '97 extended cab 4x4 flare side and a Ranger after that because I was short cash. I'll NEVER buy a small pickup again.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 PM
1. Yes you can. This one is a 4x2. http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/1006t...dup/index.html

2. Raptor grill won't fit any of the other models.

3. Sounds like a good deal to me.

4. I would ask, then be willing to meet them half way.

5. Can't answer that one. I do have black leather, but live in the Midwest and have tinted windows. Can be toasty but not that bad.

2nd 5. If you don't have plans for an aftermarket system, the sony system is the way to go. I have it and really like it.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 PM
remoAZ welcome to the site. the price check out kbb or edmunds.com an price it out and negotiate from dealer invoice or go through costco or sams club buying services. i have the lariat with the black leather and live in the desert in ca. the seat cooling works great and i have the sony nav system and love it good luck.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:23 AM
Lariat seats. Can't speak for AZ, but I live in TX, and it gets hot here too. I love the seated/cooled seats. Remember though, by the time the air circulates through the seats, your skin will already be fried. NEVER under estimate the value of good window tint. Regardless, I highly recommend the cooled seats. They really make the ride more enjoyable in the heat.

4x4. Again, for TX, it sure helps with the re-sale value.

Nav... I had to choose between nav or 4x4. I'm not rich. Glad I went with the 4x4. Aftermarket navs are a lot cheaper than after market 4 wheel drive. I was pricing really nice Garmins for less than $200 this last weekend.

Price... Always going to be something out there. If you really come across a good deal, you might want to take it before someone else does.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:59 AM
I've seen some pretty sweet looking 4x2s out there... A lot of the actual race trucks in Baja are 2wd... So you could save some real coin by going 2wd, though 30,000 for the FX4 is a pretty smoking deal, and resale will be better... Sounds like cost is an issue so I'd say just get an aftermarket Nav... You can get a Garmin or Tomtom loaded to the hilt for a fraction of the cost. As for the leather and cooled seats, I have no idea as I wanted the cloth, just so I wouldn't have to worry about this sme issue.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
There are no dumb questions, just dumb people!!!! LOL, Just kidding, Just kidding. Welcome to the site.

There are a lot of guys that run a lift on 2wd trucks... Cant say I have seen an 09-10 yet, but you can do it no problem.

I have just the standard stereo and it is crap if you have the volume up. The rear speakers are awful... But at the same token, if you can put in your own stereo, you can do it way nicer, way better and way cheaper than the factory route.

I think most of the other questions have been answered already.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to the Dumb Questions Club

I have asked a few dumb questions on here myself.....so I may even ask you one at some point?

I got the Lariat.......Cooled seats are way to go....being that your in AZ I wonder if they can be wired in with a remote start system so they are Pre-cooled when you get in?.....

I have the Nav and although it seemed like an over the top expensive option...Im glad I got it now.....The $200 map update still Pisses me off but if I were in your shoes........I would force the Salesman to update it before he gets your signature?.....I think current version is 2.0 but check with others members to be sure!

Enjoy your new F-150........We all do!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks for all the great input guys. So if I can't get the Raptor grille, I'm either going to go with the carriage works the guy posted about recently or the rolling big power one. I like the RBP grille except for that big star on the front. Makes me think of the Cowboys and I hate them!

I looked through all the dealers inventories and it seems that most of the 2wd Lariats are loaded with stuff I don't want so I found a 4x4 Lariat with a sticker of $41k I may try to deal on. If I go with the cloth seats, I can get a sweet 2wd and save about $5 to $7k. Gonna have to make that decision. Another reason for the leather is I have a Weimeraner and that short hair is a bitch to get off the cloth seats.

Thanks again for the input. You guys are great other than the fact that I want to do about 50 mods after reading through a bunch of posts!

Quick Reply: Hope these ?s aren't too dumb