2009 - 2014 F-150

2" or 2.5" AS for '10 FX4 SCAB + grille guard

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2" or 2.5" AS for '10 FX4 SCAB + grille guard

I will be installing either the 2" or 2.5" AS leveling kit on my 2010 FX4 SCAB. I have reviewed many of the other leveling-kit-related posts, which have been helpful.

I know that all trucks sit a bit differently; however, I was wondering whether anyone thinks that the addition of a stainless grille guard or bull bar (e.g., Westin Sportsman or Aries Big Horn or Onki Aegis) would contribute significant weight to the front end, such that a 2.5" kit would be the best choice. I "currently" have factory 18" wheels and Wrangler LT275 tires, and would like a perfectly level appearance (erring up to a quarter inch high on the front wouldn't be horrible, however). I do not want to touch the rear for now, by the way.

I measured my wheel wells last night, while parked in my level concrete garage. My truck is exactly 2" nose-down on the passenger side and exactly 2.25" nose-down on the driver side (perhaps due to inadvertent differences in tire pressures?).

My inclination is to go with the 2" AS, as I have read posts indicating that the '09-'11 trucks are not as nose-down as previous years, AND that as a general rule, the lesser the mod., the lesser the risk of stressing ancillary components. However, not sure whether the weight of a front guard/bar would warrant going with the 2.5".

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:21 PM
To be honest, you will sit nose high with the 2" as well. The 09 to current 4x4 trucks had the rear blocks changed from 2" (on the 04-08) to 1-1/4" for some reason. Best results without needing to do any additional lifting in the rear is a 1.5" spacer in the front.

I ran the 2.5" when they first came out for the 09s, but I sat close to 1.25" higher than the back. I decided to install a 1.5" AAL in the rear to make it level... but it has since sagged some and I am sitting a little nose high again.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 PM
I really don't think a grille guard would drop it down enough.. Maybe a Ranch Hand front end replacement would... Very heavy duty, and expensive. I have the AS 2" and I love the way my FX4 sits... I think it's a tiny bit nose high, though not as high as it looks- I've read that the front wheel wells are bigger so you can't use them as a guage for how "level" the truck really is.
Also, what you've heared about the more the mod, the more stress it does put on other parts. In this case, ball joints and cv boots/shafts. The extra 1/2 inch of the 2 1/2" kit is really a lot of extra angle on them. I'd choose the 2" again if I had to do it over again.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I would stick with the AS 1.5" It lifted my 2010 right at 2" in the front. I would almost like a Bilstein strut on the half or 1" setting. I had to put blocks in mine for towing.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I just recently put a ss. grille guard on my truck and it really didn't weigh that much maybe 50lb. It was not a problem moving it around. So I would say no it wouldn't make any difference.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Here is my new grille guard.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM
2010FordF150 - what brand is your grille guard? Just curious.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=nshipley;4220742]2010FordF150 - what brand is your grille guard? Just curious.[/QUOTE

Here is the info on the Grille Guard. I believe it is the same manufacture as trail fx and westin. I am very happy with it for the price. It was alot less then the other brands, plus I like how it follows the lines of the truck.

AutoTrends Review
Latest Product Reviews
and so much more

09-Up Ford F150 Pickup Chrome Grille Guard

Quantity in Basket: None
Product Code: SSSTLC5136FD18
Retail Price: $599.00
Our Price: $459.00
Shipping Info: Price does not include Truck Freight Shipping (Lower 48 US States)
Product Detail: NOTE: Photo may show either the all Black; or the Chrome Version.

Our Grille Guards are manufactured from heavy gauge rust-free stainless steel that has been polished to a brilliant chrome finish. Many of our competitors sell the much cheaper in price and quality the chrome plated steel version which will flake off and rust. You can be assured of an extremely durable and long lasting grille guard for your vehicle!

Deluxe 1 Piece Welded Design for superior strength!
Our Grille Guards are a welded 1 piece design for superior strength; unlike our competitors which sell the much cheaper and inferior 3 piece bolt together design!

Headlight Cage Tubing is easily removed!
The small tubing which covers the headlights can be easily removed for either looks, or for any repairs to the headlights!

Pre-Drilled Holes for Auxiliary Lighting!
You can easily install any auxiliary lighting by using any of the pre-drilled holes!

Quick and Easy Installation!
Our Grille Guards are made to exactly custom fit your vehicle without any drilling or modifications. Since the Grille Guard is already pre-assembled; it easily bolts to the existing holes in your frame. All mounting hardware and installation instructions are included. Free factory technical support is also provided. If you know how to operate a socket wrench; then it's that simple and easy to install!

Fully Guaranteed!
Our rust free stainless steel version of grille guards comes with a full lifetime warranty.

AUTO ACCESSORY SUPERSTORE:
We have been providing top quality products and customer service since 1999! Our huge inventory allows us to be your one stop shop for all of the latest truck accessories, car accessories, and SUV accessories at discount prices!

Quantity:

"AUTO ACCESSORY SUPERSTORE"
a division of Ronusa Inc.
Lexington, KY. 40511
TOLL FREE: 1-888-314-5310
Monday thru Friday 8AM - 6PM Eastern Time
Closed on Saturday and Sunday

E-Mail: sales@ronusa.com

Copyright © 2010 "Ronusa Inc." All rights reserved.

Quick Reply: 2" or 2.5" AS for '10 FX4 SCAB + grille guard