2009 - 2014 F-150

New Bakflip G2 Tonneau on 2010 F-150 [PICS and VIDEO]

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Bakflip G2 Tonneau on 2010 F-150 [PICS and VIDEO]

Hey guys. I had the old style G2 on my 2007 but when I bought my 2010 F-150 I bought another G2 and was surprised by a variety of changes.

I wrote up a quick "review" with a lot of opinions, pictures and a video for any of you who may be interested in a Bakflip. Whatever you decide good luck and I hope this helps you make your decision for or against.

Raw link: http://www.gorsar.com/index.php?opti...d=44&Itemid=33

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Jim, nice writeup. Glad I was able to hook you up. The new G2 seems to be exactly like the original HD I have that's 15 months old now. Enjoy your cover...

Old 05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
nice writeup glad you like it

Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
Jim, nice writeup. Glad I was able to hook you up. The new G2 seems to be exactly like the original HD I have that's 15 months old now. Enjoy your cover...
I've had no complaints, very happy. Thanks for the link!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the review. Was the cover hard to install or pretty simple? My local shop will install it if I order from them but it's a lot more money.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:53 PM
RCB
Thanks for the info. I just installed mine and it was very easy. One question though - has anyone driven with the cover all the way up? When I flip it up, it seems like it would bounce against the top of the rear window seal even with the pads installed and the support bracket enabled. Just curious if anyone has noticed scuff marks when doing this?

Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by RCB
Thanks for the info. I just installed mine and it was very easy. One question though - has anyone driven with the cover all the way up? When I flip it up, it seems like it would bounce against the top of the rear window seal even with the pads installed and the support bracket enabled. Just curious if anyone has noticed scuff marks when doing this?
With my previous G2 which was identical functionally to this one I drove with it open on numerous occasions. It didn't bounce around or vibrate at all. I was actually very surprised at how solid it was opened..

Old 05-12-2010, 03:33 AM
Bed cap distortion

Originally Posted by Justi
Hey guys. I had the old style G2 on my 2007 but when I bought my 2010 F-150 I bought another G2 and was surprised by a variety of changes.

I wrote up a quick "review" with a lot of opinions, pictures and a video for any of you who may be interested in a Bakflip. Whatever you decide good luck and I hope this helps you make your decision for or against.

Raw link: http://www.gorsar.com/index.php?opti...d=44&Itemid=33

Thanks!
Good write-up.

I noticed that you experienced the same bulge in the plastic bed cap as I did.

This is due to the rail clamps squeezing the gap between the bed cap & bed flange. Once the plastic cap is deformed, it usually will not recover. However, I found the distortion can be minimized with the solution outlined in my postings below. I notified BAK of this issue & offered a possible solution during one of my factory visits, but as you can see in the postings the reception was less than cordial.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/92...-the-ugly.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-bad-ugly.html

Old 05-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by d445
Good write-up.

I noticed that you experienced the same bulge in the plastic bed cap as I did.

This is due to the rail clamps squeezing the gap between the bed cap & bed flange. Once the plastic cap is deformed, it usually will not recover. However, I found the distortion can be minimized with the solution outlined in my postings below. I notified BAK of this issue & offered a possible solution during one of my factory visits, but as you can see in the postings the reception was less than cordial.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/92...-the-ugly.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-bad-ugly.html
d445. While I certainly respect your right to expect what you feel is value for your money I have to say that I've been blown away by the support at Bak Industries and the dealer you dealt with. On my first G2 almost 3 years ago for my 2007 truck I had a little bit of seal damage in shipping. Julian quickly shipped me new seals and provided whatever support I needed to replace them. On this cover I've been lucky and experienced no problems. That said, after reading your post I am still blown away by their level of support.

It appears they go above and beyond to satisfy a customer and that digs significantly into their profit margin. To do that shows a willingness to satisfy a customer that is simply not seen now-a-days. Again, I respect your right to be displeased and can appreciate your desire to share your experience, I personally just cannot relate to your experience because I've been treated so well by the same folks you reference.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Any newer reviews of these covers? Was thinking about the bakflip but not if quality is sketchy of if they leak water as the op states.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I received my BakFlip VP and installed it today. The seals aren't laying flat at all and the back section near the tailgate seems to stick up a little bit. It may just need to sit in the heat for the seals to warm up a bit, but they look like they may come off. I had to cut my oem drop-in bed liner to make the rails fit properly.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 AM
I love my bakflip 2. Just traded in my 2005 Lariat Black Laquer in for a 2012 FX2 Tungsten weight grey w/ Luxury package and 20" wheels. Transferring my cover and tool box to the new truck. Truck came with spray in bed liner. Very nice!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
I've had my Bakflip F1 for a few weeks now. I had a G2 on a previous truck and liked it, but did get a little dent from a hickory nut within the 1st week of having it! Hence, I got the F1 due to the fiberglass material. A bit heavier, but seems a little tougher than the G2, and was only another $100 more. They are both nice covers. Oh, the seals will lay flat after they sit in the sun for a bit.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Mine is scheduled to be here on the 13th, can't wait. Will be nice to be able to carry a lot of stuff in the bed out of the weather. I was used to a 06 Z06 vette with 750hp as my DD.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Bought and installed a new F1 back in April. Always had a cap on my other trucks but needed something for our cross country road trip in June. Also put in a BedRug to protect bed and things in it. The cover was great! No issues. What I liked was things stayed dry and secure and if you need to carry something you only need to flip up one panel if it is above bed level. Also have had it flipped all the way to the cab and stayed with no issues as well. Over all it's a great addition, and on road trip noticed some increase in fuel mileage..

Quick Reply: New Bakflip G2 Tonneau on 2010 F-150 [PICS and VIDEO]