2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rattle inside the cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Window squeeks

Not sure if this applies to others concerns, but I think my squeeks are coming from the rear window (I have the rear window slider, SCrew Lariat) near the top of the window. When I push on the rear window, from inside, I an replicate the noise I hear when driving over rough roads. Very annoying, but have not figured out how to fix. Anyone else experienced this??

Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
I don't think it's the passenger seat as I held it firmly while driving and still heard the rattle when i hit a rough spot on the road. When I had the truck at home I did a little experiment of my own with the rear passenger door and noticed that even when shut there is a slight amount of slop in the bottom latch when closed. Also, when you close the front passenger door it makes the that exact same rattle noise as I hear when driving.

NOt sure if there is any way to adjust those rear doors or if they could be shimmed in anyway. I'll have to take a closer look at it or take it in to the dealer. I thought it was interesting that the fella on the other forum switched the (rubber bumpers) as he called them from the passenger door to the rear passenger door and that did the trick.
I am having the same rattle, took it to the dealership and they of course couldn't find the problem. If I shove something into the bottom part of the door (rag/towel) the rattle stops. I switched out the rubber bumpers and coudn't get the doors closed. Any other thoughts?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Not the same, but I think I may have finally figured out one of the many creakys inside my Platinum. The one nearest my head that drives me the most bonkers I think may be coming from the driver window seal. I rolled my window down just a teenie bit today and the sound almost went completely away. Gonna try firing some WD-40 around the entire window frame at some point and see if that does away with it. Pisses me off, 50k truck and they even claim it's quiet, just like in 2004 with the quiet-steel, but creakys in this one and the 04 was much worse. Argh.
I think I may have the same rattle you are describing. With mine if you put your left arm on the arm rest there it stops. Once we get some good weather I plan to go out there and see if I can figure it out, if not I guess ill just turn the radio up and deal with it.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switching out the bumpers plus an adjustment to the bottom latch fixed the problem with me. the Dealer adjusted the latch when I had it in.

The door will close a little harder at first. But mine shut ok. No more rattle though...

Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by K-9 SAR
My FX4 does this too now that's cold outside... haven't found what's making the chirping noise yet.
I had a similar noise. I found it to be the drivers sun visor but haven't messed with it yet to fix it.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by mode7705
Not sure if this applies to others concerns, but I think my squeeks are coming from the rear window (I have the rear window slider, SCrew Lariat) near the top of the window. When I push on the rear window, from inside, I an replicate the noise I hear when driving over rough roads. Very annoying, but have not figured out how to fix. Anyone else experienced this??
Brought my 2010 F150 Lariat SCrew in today for this rattling problem. My husband thought it was coming from the window, I thought the seat somewhere. The dealer said that something on the headliner had broken and therefore was loose and rattling. New headliner being ordered to install next week. On my way home I tested it out and pushed on the headliner while going over some good bumps - no rattling. If I bang on headliner it makes a sound like what I have been hearing. I think this could be the anwer, at least in my case!

Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 PM
My passenger seat and the seatbelt clip (female end) rattles, rear power window rattles, and the trim around my shifter rattles, lol. UGH!!! I feel your pain.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 AM
I get a very nasty rattle when the moonroof is all the way retracted. If I reach up and pull down on it a bit, it stops. The dealer said they couldn't replicate the problem. It's winter so I guess it will wait until spring, but it just pisses me off after spending so much on a truck, they can't get it right!

Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by K-9 SAR
My FX4 does this too now that's cold outside... haven't found what's making the chirping noise yet.
I just had my passenger seat belt buckle replaced. I was getting the chirping sound and it was driving me crazy. Try moving the buckle around when you hear the noise. If it stops try looking at the 2 stamped tabs on the seat belt mount bracket. They are located above the mount bolt / pivot bushing (just lift up the seat material slightly) and limit the movement of the buckle. Mine had a damaged plastic sleeve which allowed a metal on metal rub. Been a couple of weeks and haven't heard it since.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by used2vtec
I think I may have the same rattle you are describing. With mine if you put your left arm on the arm rest there it stops. Once we get some good weather I plan to go out there and see if I can figure it out, if not I guess ill just turn the radio up and deal with it.
I know this is an older post, but did you find a solution to this? I have the same rattle, and it drives me postal!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I had the same SQUEAK/rattle/CHIRP it was driving me insane!!! It was more pronounced in the colder weather. I thought it was the seat belts. IT was the tailgate latches and hinge!! A little white lithium grease and silicone spray... its gone now for six months. I never would have thought to look outside, until my daughter was playing in the bed and i heard the squeak. I was ready to sell. My last truck had eighty thousand no squeaks and now this one was squeekin. Luckily I found it..

Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Angry NVH - Does FoMoCo care about it on the F-150 at all?

NVH issues have probably been my biggest complaint about these trucks since 2004. Sure, I wish they had better tech and better MPG, but NVH drives me insane.

My 1997 XLT, and 1998 Lariat F-150's, were both whisper quiet their entire lives. No idea why, as you'd think the older model would be the worst for NVH, but that was not the case at all.

My 2004 Lariat was an absolute rattletrap, the never-ending engine whine by far being the most horrible sound to listen to day in/day out.

And my 2009 Platinum is also full of its share of random noises as well. Driver side window is the source of one (crack it open just a fraction and the noise goes away), but there are others that I can't locate - and I've truly spent the time looking for them.

Ford completely dropped the ball on NVH considerations when building the 2004 model, and unfortunately the 2009 model is based a lot off the old 2004 platform, and it sure has carried the tradition of random noises.

One of the biggest things I will NOT miss when I trade out of my pickup is these aggravating noises. Ford seems to do a MUCH better job taking the time during early development of their cars to really focus on NVH elimination, because customers equate QUIET with QUALITY. Guess they figure truck buyers aren't as picky as car buyers, I dunno. But I sure feel all you guys' pain. We all paid handsomely for these vehicles, and they squeek 'n rattle you to near insanity. And if you have a base XL that is making you angry, don't think it has anything to do with trim level. My Platinum is supposed to have special carpeting, ceiling material and windshield to eliminate even more noise than the other trims. ... ... ... yeah, right.

I'm 100% with you guys on the aggravation factor on NVH issues in the F-150.

Quick Reply: Rattle inside the cab