Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rattle inside the cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cold Weather rattle

For those of you with SCrew or SCab's.

Anyone else hearing an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from somewhere towards the rear passenger side door when you hit a bump while driving. At least it is on my SuperCab.

When I pull on the bottom of the rear passenger door when it's closed I can feel the slop in the bottom latch and hear a sound that sounds a lot like the one I'm hearing when driving. I can also hear the same sound when I shut the front passenger door. So it would appear that the slop in the latch is making this as best I can figure.

I really only noticed this as the temps now are cold and don't recall hearing it earlier this summer or fall when temps where warm.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by birdshooter; 12-07-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem with my 09 Supercab. Gonna have the dealer take a look at it when I go for my 6000mi oil change. Sounds like the doors are not shut all the way, but they are.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Angry

Not the same, but I think I may have finally figured out one of the many creakys inside my Platinum. The one nearest my head that drives me the most bonkers I think may be coming from the driver window seal. I rolled my window down just a teenie bit today and the sound almost went completely away. Gonna try firing some WD-40 around the entire window frame at some point and see if that does away with it. Pisses me off, 50k truck and they even claim it's quiet, just like in 2004 with the quiet-steel, but creakys in this one and the 04 was much worse. Argh.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I have found that if the passengers seatbelt is resting against the plastic between the doors it rattles and drives me crazy. Once I reset it it goes away.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
For those of you with SCrew or SCab's.

Anyone else hearing an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from somewhere towards the rear passenger side door when you hit a bump while driving. At least it is on my SuperCab.

When I pull on the bottom of the rear passenger door when it's closed I can feel the slop in the bottom latch and hear a sound that sounds a lot like the one I'm hearing when driving. I can also hear the same sound when I shut the front passenger door. So it would appear that the slop in the latch is making this as best I can figure.

I really only noticed this as the temps now are cold and don't recall hearing it earlier this summer or fall when temps where warm.

Any suggestions?
you sure its not the passenger seat?, I know mine was making a bit of a rattle when it was empty.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I found this on another f150 forum and the guy fixed it himself. here is what he did.

After doing some experamentaion I found an easy solution to the rattling door problem in cold temps. All I did is switch the rubber door bumpers on the large doors and the small doors and the rattle is gone! The small door closes easier and the large door closes a little harder making a tighter fit. The rubber bumper that was on the small door sticks out a little farther and is harder than the one on the large door. The one on the large door is soft and kind of cupped shaped. The truck sat outside at work today at -20 and did not rattle on the way home so I am considering it fixed. Maybe I should let Ford know this. Hope this helps anyone else out there with the same problem.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by munro200
you sure its not the passenger seat?, I know mine was making a bit of a rattle when it was empty.
I don't think it's the passenger seat as I held it firmly while driving and still heard the rattle when i hit a rough spot on the road. When I had the truck at home I did a little experiment of my own with the rear passenger door and noticed that even when shut there is a slight amount of slop in the bottom latch when closed. Also, when you close the front passenger door it makes the that exact same rattle noise as I hear when driving.

NOt sure if there is any way to adjust those rear doors or if they could be shimmed in anyway. I'll have to take a closer look at it or take it in to the dealer. I thought it was interesting that the fella on the other forum switched the (rubber bumpers) as he called them from the passenger door to the rear passenger door and that did the trick.

Last edited by birdshooter; 12-07-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by Jmeo
I have found that if the passengers seatbelt is resting against the plastic between the doors it rattles and drives me crazy. Once I reset it it goes away.
What he said...

FB

Old 12-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jmeo
Ha! Oh yeah, that one drove me nuts for a while too...

Old 12-08-2009, 08:21 AM
My Platinum has developed an annoying little "chirp" coming from the dash/center console or somewhere around the nav/ac controls... it only does it when it's cold outside and on rough/bumpy roads...

My passenger seat rattles, well actually it vibrates like crazy and causes the headrest DVD player to rattle...

I've had a little bit of the drivers side window rattle/squeak or whatever that is.. so if you figure that one out Cometflash, please post it up!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
I had the passenger side door adjusted, which eliminated one rattle, but the seatbelt rattle against the side panel is definitely there. I'm thinking about putting something on the side panel, because every person that hops out leaves the seatbelt in a twisted position which rattles like a door rattle.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Rear passenger seatbelt!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
I had the passenger side door adjusted, which eliminated one rattle
Curious, what did they actually adjust?

We'll after some experimentation I seem to have licked the rattle problem for the moment. I did just what another poster did on another forum and sure enough it worked as advertised.

here is his explanation:
After doing some experamentaion I found an easy solution to the rattling door problem in cold temps. All I did is switch the rubber door bumpers on the large doors and the small doors and the rattle is gone! The small door closes easier and the large door closes a little harder making a tighter fit. The rubber bumper that was on the small door sticks out a little farther and is harder than the one on the large door. The one on the large door is soft and kind of cupped shaped. The truck sat outside at work today at -20 and did not rattle on the way home so I am considering it fixed. Maybe I should let Ford know this. Hope this helps anyone else out there with the same problem.
The two rubber stops are of different length, so switching out the stop on the rear passenger door (longer one) with the front passenger door (shorter one) seems to have tightened up the fit. It's a little harder to completely shut the front passenger door, but i no longer hear the rattle. Haven't heard the rattle on the driver's side so I left it alone. The rubber stops come out a little hard, but they just pop out and then pop back in.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I wish it was as easy as the seatbelt being twisted so it rattles. And yeah, why do people get out and leave the seat belt twisted? Drives me nuts. I don't think my noise near my head area is from the door itself rattling, but that's an interesting fix switching out the rubber pieces. Don't think I need to do that, pretty sure it the driver's window area, since rolling it down a tad seems to alleviate the issue quite a bit. Maybe the rubber strip that keeps water out of the inside of the door itself is rubbing against the glass? Dunno, but with crappy weather now I don't feel like being out there fiddling with my truck in the cold. Perhaps in the spring when the weather gets nice again I'll mess with it some more - unless I get really pissed one day and just douse the sucker with WD-40 and see what happens.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mickeymeanie
My Platinum has developed an annoying little "chirp" coming from the dash/center console or somewhere around the nav/ac controls... it only does it when it's cold outside and on rough/bumpy roads...
My FX4 does this too now that's cold outside... haven't found what's making the chirping noise yet.

Quick Reply: Rattle inside the cab