F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2009 - 2014 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150-105/)
-   -   Power Tailgate Lock? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2009-2014-f-150/381405-power-tailgate-lock.html)

StickyF250 01-06-2010 03:33 PM

I am going to be ordering mine today. I love this idea and wish Ford would just do this from the factory. Hopefully all goes well!

nauveed 01-06-2010 05:09 PM

I was going to get a Dynolock, but I'm not a big fan of these power locks that just jam the handle, and don't actually turn the lock. And if it fails to un-jam, I can't use the key to unlock the tailgate... I physically have to pop open the cap and un-jam it with my hand.

The convenience of an electric power tailgate lock is awesome, but for now I'm going to stick with manually unlocking and locking it.

PASSTHROUGH 01-08-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by txarsoncop (Post 4030012)
Agreed! You'd think FoMoCo would pull their collective heads out on this one, ridiculously obvious option/solution.

I also still urge anyone half inclined to do this mod to look at buying a lock actuator and doing this mod yourself. Simple and cheap! I used 'trailer kit' wiring in case I decided to run anything else, like a rear camera, at a later date.

With this type of installation, Are you still able to lock and unlock with the key?? My assumption is the black plastic piece is what is moved when the key is used. Will the lock actuator move easily enough so when the lock is locked or unlocked with the key it will push or pull the actuator without to much resistance?? This really isn't a big deal but just wondering if it would be better to always use the fob or if you can use the key without issue if you need to.

Glen

Jeff H 01-08-2010 05:30 PM

I just installed mine and was not very impressed. I'm thinking that a person could force the handle and still open the gate, and if not I can see the plastic handle breaking. IMO. It's a great idea and I hope I'm wrong, but I think it could have been engineered better.

No, you can't use the key to unlock the Dynolock.

nauveed 01-09-2010 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff H (Post 4033944)
No, you can't use the key to unlock the Dynolock.

Yea, that was the deal breaker. Not to mention that the Dynolock just jams the handle, and doesn't turn the lock - which is why the key won't unlock a Dynolock. Good idea, not-that-special engineering.

jhaskin4 01-10-2010 02:08 PM

Yeah - but still better than not being locked. I tend to double lock with the key when I am leaving the truck somewhere.

Does anyone know of an actuator solution that locks the factory lock?

tjp5467 01-12-2010 04:04 PM

ok guys, I have a 2007 F-150 Lariat Crew. I got a Dynolock for Xmas and can't get the think to work. I tested the actual actuator and it works. The instructions (suck) say to splice the pink/black wire and the red/orange wire. It would not work. I used a test light on it and heard the relay for the power seat kick in with these wires.

The instructions then say if those wires dont work, to use the pink and green and the pink and yellow. I tried those and using a test light will make the locks "jump", so I am sure those are the correct wires. Whenever I splice them I cant get the actuator to work. Anyone have any suggestions or advise?? :help:

Jeff H 01-12-2010 07:03 PM

Wrong wires, I think it's the grey w/brown stripe and the blue w/green stripe. Test the wires before you connect.

The Pathfinder 01-21-2011 06:43 PM

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Ford/F...eid=2011912588

I went searching for a lock for my 2011 and found this...same as the dynalock?

jpetre 03-15-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Pathfinder (Post 4468355)
http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Ford/F...eid=2011912588

I went searching for a lock for my 2011 and found this...same as the dynalock?

That is the same one I found, but I am wondering if I could do it myself for cheaper, just make a bracket like Dave did, as I don't want the handle jammed, I want to use the lock. I was able to do that with my 04, I could use the key or power lock at any time. :banana:

wittom 03-15-2011 07:10 PM

Man, reading this thread is like riding a roller coaster. One minute I'm ready to place my order, the next I'm thinking it's not worth it.

I'm torn. Should I just keep using the key, or buy something that sort of works pretty well?

Anyone installed one of these on an '11 yet?

HTRN 03-15-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by wittom (Post 4531647)
Man, reading this thread is like riding a roller coaster. One minute I'm ready to place my order, the next I'm thinking it's not worth it.

I'm torn. Should I just keep using the key, or buy something that sort of works pretty well?

Anyone installed one of these on an '11 yet?

x2 and is there actually one that will turn the lock itself and let you use the key or do they all bypass the locking mechanism in the handle completely?

nauveed 03-15-2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by HTRN (Post 4531658)
x2 and is there actually one that will turn the lock itself and let you use the key or do they all bypass the locking mechanism in the handle completely?

That's what I'm waiting on -- something that actually turns the lock. Haven't found anything yet, and not sure if Dynolock has plans to upgrade their system. I just don't think its worth to me to install Dynolock and only have it jam the handle. Pull on it hard enough and you break the mechanism and open the tailgate. It just "feels" weak/cheap.

HTRN 03-16-2011 09:28 AM

Yeah it amazes me how many items we all seem to want but no one is producing a quality solution for... I swore I would never do another start up but now I'm starting to think Hmmm... Maybe it's time to come out of retirement!

gatkins94 04-18-2011 02:37 PM

I just installed mine this weekend. It was actually easier than I thought it would be, but I did learn a few things. 1. I had to bend the bracket in a couple of places to make it fit like I needed it to fit and 2. The instructions call for tying into a blue wire with a green stripe (I think that was the description)...WELL...in addition to that, there was a GREEN wire with a BLUE stripe.....make SURE you get the correct one.

and FYI....I have a backup camera (not working yet, but installed) and the MAN-STEP on my tailgate...this wasn't in conflict with either of those items.