2009 - 2014 F-150

Power Tailgate Lock?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Tailgate Lock?

Anyone installed a power tailgate lock? I ordered one about a month ago (back ordered) from JC Whitney and just got it today. I bought it with a coupon for $85 with free shipping. The shipping would have been about $15, but I chated with the on-line rep, who gave me the free shipping.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has installed one. The instructions could be more detailed, but......it's supposed to lock/unlock your tailgate when you lock/unlock your doors. I am using a BlakFlip HD and wanted this to make getting into the bed easier.

Here is a link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/POWER-TAILG...ailgate%20lock

Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM
I have only seen the cheap $5 actuators people have used from ebay with their own mounting brackets and wiring. Couple the lock with the system and a door popper on an AUX channel of an alarm and get an EZ down and watch the tailgate unlock, pop, and drop.

Last edited by yetti96; 06-25-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:48 PM
WOW!!! I did mine for probably $15 - $20. BUT I did have to fab my own bracket up and cut and bend my own actuator rod. If you didn't want to or didn't know how then the kit is probably worth the cost.

Since I don't know what your instructions say and the pic isn't real clear on the actuator it's kinda hard to be helpful.

I ran my wiring ('05 Screw) through a pre-existing hole out the bottom of the tailgate and through another hole that was fairly close to it at the end of the bed. Then ran the wiring IN the frame on the passenger side up to the cab and spliced to door lock wiring in the door sill.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 PM

I went with a Dynolock on mine a while back. I had a Pace Edwards from my last two trucks that I replaced. Makes it a lot easier and convenient to lock the tailgate when you have a cover on.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the responses. I figured it was pricey, but hey....plug and play.

Txarsoncop - you ran your wires to the passenger side? I guess it doesn't matter which side, but the directions I have said to go to the driver's side. Thanks for the input! Be safe!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I went to passenger side. There was a member here who had posted this link: Dave's power tailgate lock

These were the instructions I followed. *Except for the multiple zip-tie solution*

My wires were the same colors as the instructions noted.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Update

Well, I went to install the tailgate lock this morning - no dice. It seems this kit was made for the 1997 and up models. The part fits fine, but the wiring colors are not the same. I went as far as pulling off the driver's side rear door to look at the wires - I don't even have the colors they claim I am supposed to tap into.

I did a Google search and found some info, but even with this I didn't have one of the colors:

http://www.dtdesign.net/vehicle_wiring_chart.pdf

It shows the 09's as using Gray/Black to lock and Lt. Blue/Lt. Green to unlock. I have the Gray/Black, but no Lt. Blue/Lt.Green

These are the colors I have at the plug:

Gray/Black

Purple/White

Black/Yellow

Green

I dunno.....it's like an inferno outside and I am somewhat torked - back this beyatch goes!

Anyone have any additional information?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:39 PM

I ran my wires to the drivers side door sill area and after some help from Deano-FX4, I found the wires I needed.

Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I installed a Dynolock Dynolock kit in my 2009 Platinum, I had a Pace Edwards model in my 2003 SCrew and never had a problem with it locking every time I locked the doors. There are instructions on the site as well. I will tell you the wires on my Platinum were different than the 2008's. With the help of Deano-FX4 I located the correct wires on my truck. Here is his response back to me on the wires.
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
ok you want to look for a grey/brown (lock) and violet/grey or blue/green (unlock) in either the drivers or passengers rear door sil harness. to test them to make sure they are the right ones, they both should be sitting at ground and go to 12v when the door lock switch is pressed to lock or unlock. now make sure you test the wires first because there is a violet/grey wire that works in reverse 12v at rest and ground when activated. you don't want that.
Here is a shot of the wires and where I tapped in;

Last edited by DeereGeff; 11-01-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Lol, never mind. I answered too late.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 PM
So, Geff, you hit the gray/brown and blue/green? It looks like you also tapped the gray/violet (the one with the electrical tape)?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BrainDonor
So, Geff, you hit the gray/brown and blue/green? It looks like you also tapped the gray/violet (the one with the electrical tape)?
The other connections are for my Viper 991 alarm/remote start.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I don't think this kit is up to snuff - I am now looking at a Pace Edwards kit. I've sent an email off to them in order to confirm the make one for the 09's (their web site doesn't show it) and as soon as I hear back, I'm gonna order one.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by DeereGeff
The other connections are for my Viper 991 alarm/remote start.
gotcha!

Old 06-27-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by yetti96
I have only seen the cheap $5 actuators people have used from ebay with their own mounting brackets and wiring. Couple the lock with the system and a door popper on an AUX channel of an alarm and get an EZ down and watch the tailgate unlock, pop, and drop.
http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...tailgate-1.flv

Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Now that is pretty cool - would love that self opening tailgate on my 09 Platinum - but not that technically inclined - anybody know of a quality installer type in san diego?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Tailgate Lock?