2009 - 2014 F-150

USB 2 working great. (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, here was my fix...
I disconnected and reconnected my iTouch and started the truck. It recognized the usb2 connection almost immediately. Previously I tried disconnecting and reconnecting with the truck running. Didn't have a chance to try the SYNC voice command but if I have the issue again, I'll try it.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by 4wDakota
Guys, What about a 32 gig thumb drive? I don't have as much music as some of you guys might. I'm thinking about putting a thumb drive connected to a mini usb adapter and leaving it in the dash under the speaker tray. No cables to worry about, no spinning harddrive to fail. What do you think?

I'm doing the same thing. Cable running to glove box. Right now testing w/ 8gb... got 64gb on order.

I was wondering how a hdd would perform in winter.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by 4wDakota
Guys, What about a 32 gig thumb drive? I don't have as much music as some of you guys might. I'm thinking about putting a thumb drive connected to a mini usb adapter and leaving it in the dash under the speaker tray. No cables to worry about, no spinning harddrive to fail. What do you think?
I've got a 16GB flash drive connected to a cable in my glove compartment and it works great. Sync goes to it every time with out having to say "USB2."

Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by starlifterpilot
I've got a 16GB flash drive connected to a cable in my glove compartment and it works great. Sync goes to it every time with out having to say "USB2."
Thanks for the confirmation - going to order a cable to get this done!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey everybody. Thank you all for information on this post, especially you Barrita. I gotta tell you guys, if it wasn’t for the pictures, I would have been lost. I was able to get everything locally except the female to female USB connector. I’m going online tonight to order that. Having everything else and some time today I installed it. While everything was apart I also installed an extra auxiliary power socket behind the dash for my Tom Tom. The two center console pieces (the long one and the short one surrounding the gearshift lever) came out much easier than I imagined they would. The long one was difficult to get back in, but I finally got it. There is no additional information I can offer but I did want to thank you all. The additional USB connection in the center console was a modification I wanted as soon as I got the truck.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Got the connector, all works great.

Last edited by newts53; 10-26-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:46 PM
ok - this was by far the best $8 mod ever - took all of 15 minutes to install, and works like a champ - no more cable running out of the console to the dash. Sweet! 6 foot cable was more than enough. It could be cleaner to use a panel mount....but like I said, best $8 and 15 minutes ever.

ordered the following from yourcablestore.com:
USB AD AF-5P BM USB Female A To USB Mini Male B 5 Pin Adapter
$3.79 x 1
$3.79
USB 2 AM-AF 6 6 Foot USB 2.0 High Speed Extension Cable
$2.79 x 1
$2.79
Subtotal: $6.58
Discount: $0.00
Shipping: $1.68
Sales Tax: $0.54
Total: $8.80

Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Help with music.

I want to do this mod. I have found a 320GB harddrive that I am going to use. The thing I'm unsure about is the music. I have an iphone, so I obviously have an itunes account and a little music on there.
I don't know how to transfer the music onto an external drive. Are you guys getting your music elswhere, and that makes it easier? Are you able to use voice commands such as play genre rock or play next track while using the external drive?

Please help.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:52 PM
I got tired of saying USB 2 all the time, so I switched the wires around so my ipod is run to the USB 1 port inside the dash. I never use the USB 1 anyways, so now it's my USB 2 port.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by SFCFX4
I got tired of saying USB 2 all the time, so I switched the wires around so my ipod is run to the USB 1 port inside the dash. I never use the USB 1 anyways, so now it's my USB 2 port.
Don't they have different connectors? Did you need adapters?
I think I want to do this.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by piranha
Don't they have different connectors? Did you need adapters?
I think I want to do this.
Nope! I've read where people said it wouldn't fit, but they must not be trying hard enough. All it took was a little patience and working it around and it went right in. Did the same thing in my dad's F350.

BTW, for anyone that has a new '09-'10 Super Duty with Sync and want to do this, open the glove box, squeeze the corner in on the right side where the stopper is so the box will fold all the way down, and stick your head in there and look to the right, you will see the box for the Sync with the same two ports and USB 1 plug. It's even easier than on the F150.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Barrita and everyone else who contributed to this thread -

I finally got the time to do this today - works great with my thumb drive - now I don't have my drive sticking out of the dash like a 'sore thumb'.....

One note - I bought the 6' cable and adapter listed on jhaskin4's post -
I must have gone a different route, and the cable wasn't long enough. Luckily I had a 3' cable laying around to make it work.

I went all the way to the back of the console, and came in through the hole that is already there on the rear upper panel in the console.

Anyway - thanks to all for a great mod!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Alright so after reading all the pages on this subject i decided to order some cables last week. Those cables arrived this afternoon and i just got done with the install. Maybe 30 minutes tops.

I purchased from Your Cable Store

(1) 6' USB Mini B 5 Pin to Male: USB 2 AM-BM 5P 6 - - $3.49
(1) USB Female to Female Adapter: USB AD AF-AF - - $3.29

The install was as simple as stated in earlier posts. I just wanted to go a different route.

I plugged the 6' Mini B end into my USB2 Sync port, ran the cable down and behind the Navigation. The cable stopped at the shifter. From inside my center console there is a small hole where i fed my USB end iPod cable and it came out right below and behind the shifter. I then used the Female to Female adapter and finished it off with some electrical tape to keep them connected. Works like a charm. No wires are visible and i did not drill or cut anything.

Only reason i wanted to do this was to hid the iPod cable running from my center console across shifter plate to USB connection under the Navigation.

So if anyone else here has an iPod and has been considering this.. Use the (2) items above and you'll be golden.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Installation Video

I've read this entire thread with interest because I'm looking into installing a Coastal Electronics Sync Lockpick and when I have the dash all tore apart I'm wondering if I should go ahead and lay a cable in place for any possible future use (I'm not a big music listener).

Anyway, I thought this might be of interest to all. They have an installation video on their website that shows how the entire dash and console comes apart. Here's the link to their Ford F150 installation video:

http://www.coastaletech.com/F150installation.htm

Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Barritia
Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 2009 Ford F-150

USB 2 working great. (pics inside)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok! well i got the cables i ordered and installed them into the truck and the second usb port works as expected. I did have problem with the system not accepting 3 different cables for some strange reason. The one that did work was the Sony PS3 controller charger cable!!!

A few things you will need, prob about $10-15 max

Below i will give a rough idea of cable's that are need. The reason i say rough is because it can be done a few ways. I will list the way i did it and some others.

Male mini usb - standard male usb cable
usb extension cable
female -female usb connector (this connector will make the convert extension cable take any standard male usb cable like a hard drive or mp3 player)

Basically you want to start with a male mini usb cable and build it up with different cable's to achieve the connection you would like at the other end because i couldnt find a male mini usb - female usb all in one cable.

This company seemed like it stocked a lot of the connectors needed. Not sure if im allowed to post this but it's a handy site.
http://www.buyextras.com/usbproducts.html

I removed the center speaker surround so that i could get to the system.
------------------------------
Can't figure out what you guys are trying to do,can someone let me in on it,I read a few post but came up empty.I no it's about the sony navagation system and I do have one in my truck,thats why I'm curious.
Thanks
Thanks

Quick Reply: USB 2 working great. (pics inside)