2009 - 2014 F-150

USB 2 working great. (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do this, make sure the end you plug into sync is very small. I bought a mini-USB to standard USB adapter and its too wide to fit. Back to the drawing board...

Old 07-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Old 08-07-2009, 09:32 AM
You guys formatting fat32 or ntsf? Does it matter?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 AM

Not sure if it matters, just formatted NTFS since that is what Windows did automatically.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM
I hope to take delivery this week on a 2010 Plat.

Is there a consensus on which cables/adapters to use for this mod?

I plan on running the cable to the console. I haven't seen photos of running it to the console, but I hope the instructions are easy enough. What is the best way to have the console connection held in place?

Thank you.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I had good luck initially with connecting my iTouch to the usb2 port with the Apple cable it came with. Bought the adapter and away I went. Yesterday though, after starting the truck, it lost sync, and I got a message that the usb was empty. I rebooted my iTouch, had tried to select the usb2 option from the menu (no longer an option btw). I found a reset /re-initialize feature on the radio but I don't want to select it for fear it will jack up my satellite radio. I will check cables tonight to make sure nothing came loose but I seriously doubt it. Any one else had this problem???

Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by bitnerbl
I had good luck initially with connecting my iTouch to the usb2 port with the Apple cable it came with. Bought the adapter and away I went. Yesterday though, after starting the truck, it lost sync, and I got a message that the usb was empty. I rebooted my iTouch, had tried to select the usb2 option from the menu (no longer an option btw). I found a reset /re-initialize feature on the radio but I don't want to select it for fear it will jack up my satellite radio. I will check cables tonight to make sure nothing came loose but I seriously doubt it. Any one else had this problem???
Occasionally my iTouch will not be recognized. So far all I have had to do is unplug the Apple cable from the adapter (which connects it to the USB cable that runs from my console to the USB2 port) and then plug it back in.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, that will not be fun. I wasn't planning on removing the upper dash every few days to reset my iTouch.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Well, that will not be fun. I wasn't planning on removing the upper dash every few days to reset my iTouch.
No, that wouldn't be too convenient. My ipod sits in the center console so I just have to flip it open and unplug it there.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Guys, What about a 32 gig thumb drive? I don't have as much music as some of you guys might. I'm thinking about putting a thumb drive connected to a mini usb adapter and leaving it in the dash under the speaker tray. No cables to worry about, no spinning harddrive to fail. What do you think?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4wDakota
Guys, What about a 32 gig thumb drive? I don't have as much music as some of you guys might. I'm thinking about putting a thumb drive connected to a mini usb adapter and leaving it in the dash under the speaker tray. No cables to worry about, no spinning harddrive to fail. What do you think?
I like this idea - never thought of it myself for some reason....

I am currently using an 8G thumb drive plugged in all the time in the regular USB port - could very easily do what you are saying by just adding an adapter.

Thanks for the idea - I don't see why it won't work.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
Try hitting the "Sync" button on your steering wheel and then say "USB2". Occassionally I had it where it said Usb was empty when I hit the Aux button. I just hit the sync button on the steering wheel and said USB2 and then it worked again.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by jdtech65
Try hitting the "Sync" button on your steering wheel and then say "USB2". Occassionally I had it where it said Usb was empty when I hit the Aux button. I just hit the sync button on the steering wheel and said USB2 and then it worked again.
==

I've had the same problem with mine and all you have to do is tell Ms SYNC "USB2." I also just have an 8GB thumb drive connected to it in my glove box. Works great.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 PM

Ive got a 320gb hard drive in my glove box, always putting new music on it

Old 10-01-2009, 04:40 AM
I'll give it a try on my way to work this morning. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: USB 2 working great. (pics inside)